Jamaica With Kids Beyond Dunn's River

Blk_Amish

Here is one of the reasons half the people go to Jamaica and have a good time and the other half hate it. In the culture, real people, there is no response as NO THANK YOU. It's no or thank you wish means yes. If you say no thank you , meaning no/yes, some will hear the no and move on, others the thank you, meaning yes and keep hassling you. It's best to simply say no or no I am good, meaning good without it and move on.

Do not hold anything. Holding something is a way of giving someone something but in your case expect to pay.

If you are offered herb, of course don't say no thank you, that's no/yes. Who knows if they got the no part or the thank you /yes part. Don't bother replying I don't do drugs, to many it's a herb that grows like weed. Simply reply you don't smoke, many won't expect you to start just to help them out. If you smoke be careful.

As for the men, ladies no matter what they look like, no teeth, no shirt, no shoes, they think they can make you happy. Any eye contact and a smile could be interpreted as an invitation to fun. Yeah you will be expected to pay for the fun . Sadly some do.

Asking, it's a gift. You could be asked for anything from money to your child.

This is Jamaica beyond excursions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Thank you for your posts, your picture are lovely and very helpful.. I have been to the island many times.. Lots to enjoy but as you say many dislike it due to pushiness of peddlers..

great posting...

Here is one of the reasons half the people go to Jamaica and have a good time and the other half hate it. In the culture, real people, there is no response as NO THANK YOU. It's no or thank you wish means yes. If you say no thank you , meaning no/yes, some will hear the no and move on, others the thank you, meaning yes and keep hassling you. It's best to simply say no or no I am good, meaning good without it and move on.

Do not hold anything. Holding something is a way of giving someone something but in your case expect to pay.

If you are offered herb, of course don't say no thank you, that's no/yes. Who knows if they got the no part or the thank you /yes part. Don't bother replying I don't do drugs, to many it's a herb that grows like weed. Simply reply you don't smoke, many won't expect you to start just to help them out. If you smoke be careful.

As for the men, ladies no matter what they look like, no teeth, no shirt, no shoes, they think they can make you happy. Any eye contact and a smile could be interpreted as an invitation to fun. Yeah you will be expected to pay for the fun . Sadly some do.

The culture can be challenging and sometimes you are hit with so much of it so quickly. There is a huge language barrier with the dialect (patois) and the different accents.

Three days on the Carnival Magic sharing this so I decided to post it here.

YES , very true..

I have booked the sunset grande for our family in JA with resort for a day..

should be a great port day for us....

The culture can be challenging and sometimes you are hit with so much of it so quickly. There is a huge language barrier with the dialect (patois) and the different accents.

Three days on the Carnival Magic sharing this so I decided to post it here.

• 1 month later...

Great information, thanks for sharing. Sometimes it's the little idiosyncrasies that cause the most 'problems' when travelling.

We were considering Sunset Grande but will now be brining our 16 year old son and the cost seems a bit steep now. My next thought was ATVing, but those are only 2ish hours and I like to fill my day to the brim. Your post gave me some things to think about and a few things jumped out ...

Can you share the driving distances between some places, specifically Coyaba River Garden and Museum, Blue Hole and the route to Nine Miles that you described. Is all of this doable in one day via a private tour (obviously depends on how long we stay at the places)? Is Wilderness ATV anywhere on this route that we could add that on as well?

Thanks!

Edited by CDNJehn

Can you share the driving distances between some places, specifically Coyaba River Garden and Museum, Blue Hole and the route to Nine Miles that you described. Is all of this doable in one day via a private tour (obviously depends on how long we stay at the places)? Is Wilderness ATV anywhere on this route that we could add that on as well?

Thanks!

First I don't know about the ATV excursion but I am sure you could arrange with someone after the tour. I would highly recommend the Blue Hole and it's about 20-30 minutes from Coyaba. For a bit of budgeting I would go to Shaw Park Garden $10 (next to Coyaba $20) for the botanical Garden and Waterfall, head to the Blue Hole. These places are extremely beautiful and you want to give yourself time to take it all in.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish