NCL Captains

ikar1101

Hi all!

Does anyone know if this list is correct or could help with filling the gaps?

SKY - ??, ??

SUN - Rune Myre, ??

STAR - Gunnar Hammerin, Konstantinos Fafalios

DAWN - Paul von Knorring, Sverre Sovdsnes

SPIRIT - Evans Hoyt, Kenneth Harstrom

JEWEL - Idar Hoydal, Lars Bergstrom

PEARL - Lars Bengtsson, ??

JADE - Tommy Stensrud, Mikael Hilden

GEM - Roger Gustavsen, Frank Juliussen

EPIC - Hakan Svedung, Trygve Vorren

Hi all!

SKY - ??, ??

SUN - Rune Myre, ??

I thought the GEM was Mikael Hilden, and Frank Juliussen???? :confused:

Hi all!

SKY - ??, ??

SUN - Rune Myre, ??

Tommy Stensrud is on the Sun

I also find this question perplexing.

But, for those interested, keep in mind they do change often as they rotate home, etc.

yep. can probably put those names in a hat 6 months from now and randomly assign them to ships and be more correct than this list. :)

I also find this question perplexing.
Maybe it's like having different taxi drivers? Some drive really well, and some will give you the most hair-raising ride of your life. Bruce Willis falls into the latter category; I didn't even have to be in his cab, and seeing it on screen was bad enough. If he was the captain of my ship, I think I'd investigate a refund.

There are some cruise lines on which the captains have distinct personalities which imprint themselves - usually for the better - on the ship. And ships on which the captain forms part of the shipboard entertainment. However, my general impression of NCL captains is that they are, rather, chosen for being solid responsible mariners.

One thing about different captains that may be of interest to CC roll call meet and greets....the captain of the Dawn last October gave our meet and greet group a complimentary tour of the bridge.:) The captain of the Gem in December did not.:(

Other than that....I am sure that cruise lines only select the best navigators to take command of their ships. The difference is a matter of personalities....some Captains are "people persons" and love to socialize with passengers. Others would probably prefer it if they had a shipload of containers instead of passengers....;)

Honestly, cannot remember the names of the captains we had on any of our 5 cruises with NCL. I saw all of them out and about, and even spoke to a few of them. I feel that as long as he navigates the ship properly, he is okay in my book. Be rest assured that NCL would not give captains control of their fleet unless they were some of the best of the best. In fact, many of them have a naval background. :)

On our Epic sailing of January 15th the captain's name was Captain Speaking. At least that's how he kept introducing himself before the 11AM announcements.:)

Really? I thought we had two captains. The Captain Speaking and Your Captain Speaking. They sounded distinctly similar though

;)

I often wonder why anyone cares. lol :p

Scandinavian officers always give us some extra attention so for us it's relevant. If we meet a non-scandinavian officer they might say hi but if we meet a scandinavian officer they talk to us for at least 30 minutes if we want them to and they have time to do it (they normally does, I guess they stay away from areas with passengers when they are in a hurry).

Scandinavian officers always give us some extra attention so for us it's relevant. If we meet a non-scandinavian officer they might say hi but if we meet a scandinavian officer they talk to us for at least 30 minutes if we want them to and they have time to do it (they normally does, I guess they stay away from areas with passengers when they are in a hurry).

Must be a norse/viking/scandanavian thing.....;)

There are some cruise lines on which the captains have distinct personalities which imprint themselves - usually for the better - on the ship. And ships on which the captain forms part of the shipboard entertainment.

If you ever sail with Lars Bengtsson you will very quickly realise that he truly is part of the entertainment. His daily bulletins can be hilarious especially if his wife is on board and he is trying to pry the credit cards away from her. A very, very funny guy.

I also think he may be a great manager as his staff always seemed very happy on the Pearl and that starts with the leadership at the top.

If you ever sail with Lars Bengtsson you will very quickly realise that he truly is part of the entertainment. His daily bulletins can be hilarious especially if his wife is on board and he is trying to pry the credit cards away from her. A very, very funny guy.

I also think he may be a great manager as his staff always seemed very happy on the Pearl and that starts with the leadership at the top.

Hubby and I so agree with you about this captain. He did make the announcements fun and I'd watch crew members faces as he spoke, they smiled, eyes looked happy, and at least one chuckled. I truly believe the crew enjoyed him and his leadership as it showed in their cheerfulness and hard work. That ship was so clean I actually took a picture of an outdoor area that just glistened. Really made an impression on me!

I couldn't tell you any of the names of the Captains we've sailed with on Carnival, but we sure pay more attention to those on NCL.

NCL, if you read this thread, "THANK YOU!" for such terrific captains :cool:.

Thank you - I will look out for that name. As it happens, I may well be on the Pearl for a week later this year.

You are in for a real treat if you get Bengtsson and Tony Lockett together. They could be a stand up comedy team !!!!:D:D