Shoes for viking danbue in November

angelle

My daughter and I will be on viking idun from Budapest to Nuremberg on nov. 21. I am wondering what shoes to bring? I live in south louisiana we do not have snow or much cold weather. I have uggs. My daughter prefers tennis shoes. Will her tennis shoes be warm enough? Do we need waterproof snow boots? Any advise on this trip will be appreciated. She is 16 and will want to look cute :)

That is our normal time to be in Europe and we were in Budapest late November 2 years ago.

I wear boots at that time of year as it can be cold and the cobblestones dictate supportive footwear. Cute is important to me as well :). I have a pair of Cole Haan shearling clogs (waterproof) with lug soles and Nike Air technology that are my 2nd pair of walking shoes for that time of year. My other pair are waterproof boots. I like Sorels as my Uggs were not waterproof and in Germany in November of 2010 we had over 22 inches of snow in less than 36 hours. My Uggs provided no protection from the snow and cold and I spent over an hour in the evenings blowing them dry as they were a mess and I did not have a back up pair of waterproof boots. Lesson learned.

I would have her pack something more substantial in addition to tennis shoes.

Thank you so much for your response, I have been battling stage 4 cancer and this trip is just what we need. I am excited and want to be prepared!!

I saw snow boots at academy, do you think those cheaper ones would do? Or can you recommend an online store that would have decent boots that we could order.

I have a pair of Sorrell ankle high booties, lug soled and very water proof. I'll wear them on Amsterdam - Budapest Nov 3 - 17 on Embla. I'll bring a back up pair of Dr Scholl's lace-up shoes which I used a few years ago in Italy, but the Sorrell's will be much better on the cobblestones and in the wet. If I had Uggs I wouldn't take them... too bulky, not enough support etc. The Sorrell's I got for $50 on an on-line clearance sale. Google around, I hope you find something at a good price. m--

We went last year, Dec 5, for a Christmas Markets cruise. I have very narrow feet and cannot wear most shoes. I have a pair of New Balance walking shoes that I wear everywhere. I did go to the NB store and bought a bottle of waterproofing spray and applied a couple applications of that on my shoes before we left.

I found that wearing Smartwool socks with sock liners under them kept my feet very dry. Fortunately, we did not have any measurable precipitation, so me feet didn't get real wet. We did have several days of rain and I was still OK. Check Sierra Trading Post for discounted shoes/boots.

I used to live in Utah and have Sorels but those are way too heavy for the Nov & Dec trips I've made to Europe (cities). I also have 25 yr old Bean duck boots but don't find them comfortable for walking any distance.

I usually bring one pair leather knee boots (I have some Keens that are incredibly comfortable and have a great sole for walking - I sprayed them - esp the seams - with a silicone "waterproofing" spray and they've done great). I also usually bring a pair of ankle boots but my last pair that were great for walking (also Keen) died this past year. I bought a pair of Haglofs goretex walking shoes from Sierra Trading Post (great sale bargain! such a good deal my husband bought a pair of the men's for himself) and they'll be my 2nd walking shoe for our Dec river cruise this year.

I tend to do a lot of walking when I travel so comfort while walking miles in questionable weather is my first priority. "Cute" comes 2nd but I'm not immune to vanity:p

I used to live in Utah and have Sorels but those are way too heavy for the Nov & Dec trips I've made to Europe (cities). I also have 25 yr old Bean duck boots but don't find them comfortable for walking any distance.

I usually bring one pair leather knee boots (I have some Keens that are incredibly comfortable and have a great sole for walking - I sprayed them - esp the seams - with a silicone "waterproofing" spray and they've done great). I also usually bring a pair of ankle boots but my last pair that were great for walking (also Keen) died this past year. I bought a pair of Haglofs goretex walking shoes from Sierra Trading Post (great sale bargain! such a good deal my husband bought a pair of the men's for himself) and they'll be my 2nd walking shoe for our Dec river cruise this year.

I tend to do a lot of walking when I travel so comfort while walking miles in questionable weather is my first priority. "Cute" comes 2nd but I'm not immune to vanity:p

Where your walking shoes waterproof? Do you think we need waterproof in case of snow?

Where your walking shoes waterproof? Do you think we need waterproof in case of snow?

You are more likely to have rain than snow at that time of year, but anything can happen. I got a great pair of Clark's water repellant ankle boots last year that are wonderful. I treated then with additional waterproof spray just in case I needed more moisture protection. A couple of years ago we encountered massive snows but I managed with a pair of Ryka waterproof shooties. They were not tall but luckily the sidewalks were always shoveled so I got by, since then I have always traveled in winter with a pair of tall shaft boots,I wear these on the flight to save packing space, thank heavens for pre-check so I don't have to remove them at security. For a Nov/Dec European trip, cruise or land I take a pair of tall brown boots, a pair of black ankle boots and a pair of black Uggs waterproof, fur lined loafers that work for both excursions and dinners. All of these are well broken in and are quite comfortable for long walks on cobblestones, and have soles that grip snowy streets. Tall shaft boots are also great in cold windy weather.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I bought my Sorels on sale at a local store. You can try ebay, 6pm shoes http://www.6pm.com/sorel-womens-boots~b , and onlineshoes.com to check for sales. http://www.onlineshoes.com/sorel,womens-shoes-search_ct1 has an additional 20% today. Mine are the Tofino style and they are both very functional and very cute! I also have a pair of Ecco knee high leather boots that I bought for these trips but they are not as comfy as my Sorels so they mostly stay at home .

We walk 8-10 miles a day when in Europe. My Sorels are incredible comfy and supportive and IMO, not heavy, and I am a FL gal so these type boots are not something I wear at home. I bought my husband a pair 2 years ago and he loves them as well and they are a mainstay on our Nov/Dec trips to Europe.

I have an extra arch support in mine as I have high arches and like the additional support.

Edited by caviargal

We are going on a danbue Christmas river cruise. I am looking for comfortable waterproof walking shoes. I will try to find on ebay or online for about $100. Thanks for the suggestions:D

Yes, as I mentioned, my shoes are goretex - waterproof and breathable. My husband and I will pretty much always spend more to buy goretex when possible because we have found it to be the best for our needs.

These are the shoes I bought (in black, not red ;-) and I had a 40% off coupon - Sierra posts them quite often on their Facebook page. My husband also bought the men's version of this shoe. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/haglofs-observe-gore-tex-trail-shoes-waterproof-for-women~p~5570n/?filterString=s~haglofs-observe%2F&colorFamily=03

I mainly worry about rain, not snow, when we travel, because I'm more concerned about wet feet than cold feet (the right socks make a huge difference and I'm also just not prone to cold feet - but wet feet make me miserable ;-)

The most important thing is to get something that will fit your budget, be appropriate for your needs (walking comfort, style, hopefully ability to re-use in the future etc)

(I had tried on a Clarks Wave Trek waterproof shoe in a store in tan and it fit. But I wanted black, so I ordered it online, but it didn't fit. Ah well. Clarks rarely fit me - which is why I was surprised in the store. Try try try - we all have different feet & different needs! http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/wave_trek/26061359 )

Edited by Hoyaheel

I've been following your other thread about shoes for your Danube cruise in November. Might I suggest you post this second thread on the Cruise Fashion board? That way you will reach even more people and possibly get some additional suggestions to consider.

We are going on a danbue Christmas river cruise. I am looking for comfortable waterproof walking shoes. I will try to find on ebay or online for about $100. Thanks for the suggestions:D

I have a pair of Baretraps ankle boots that I adore. Fleece lined for warmth (I'm sure it's fake fleece), rubber soles, zip up from the inside. Easy to get on/off, super comfortable. I can't remember where I got them but I'm thinking JCP (I'm rather cheap when it come to my clothes). I am going to try to find another pair for our own Danube cruise in December, if I can't then these are coming with me.

These are the shoes I ordered from amazon to try: Keen Chester Boot, Merrell Azura hiking shoe, Teva Figueroa W/P Boot, Merrell Captiva Launch W/P Boot, Clark's Wave Trail GTX sneaker, Baretraps Launch Boot

I will try these out, thank for y'all help:)

I have a pair of Bare Traps short boots too. I got them at DSW. I wore these two years ago to the Christmas Markets on the colder days and they kept my feet toasty. I also wear thick wool socks as my feet are very narrow and they help fill up the space in the boot. I also took my Dansko professional clogs and wore those a lot because it was unseasonalbly warm that year and no snow or rain and with the wool socks again my feet were warm and comfortable.

I found that wearing Smartwool socks with sock liners under them kept my feet very dry.

Another vote for SmartWool socks! I usually have trouble wearing wool, but not these socks. First tried them on a trip to Alaska.

Many thanks to the OP and those responding for helping me start thinking about footwear for our November 2015 European river cruise. Very helpful!

These are the shoes I ordered from amazon to try: Keen Chester Boot, Merrell Azura hiking shoe, Teva Figueroa W/P Boot, Merrell Captiva Launch W/P Boot, Clark's Wave Trail GTX sneaker, Baretraps Launch Boot

I will try these out, thank for y'all help:)

Some of the shoes came in, most of them fit well and would work for the cruise. They were all a bargain @$60 each. I'm keeping the keen Chester boot, it's short , slightly warm and cute. I'm keeping the merrell Captiva launch boot, it is so comfortably, very cute!!! I'm exchanging the merell Azura hiking boot for a smaller size, this is waterproof snow hiking tennis shoe.....not fashionable but I may want it for cobblestones and climbing. The teva Figueroa boot fit great but it is fleeced lined...I think it may be too warm, so I'm returning it. The other 2 pairs are not in yet.

Angelle- Regardless of which shoes you go with, make sure that you break them in before the trip. I know cold weather gear isn't comfortable in LA, but ya gotta get the bugs out...sometimes a 'aftermarket' insoles can make a big improvement over what comes in the shoe. Or they just really aren't that comfortable after an hour of walking. Better to know that now.

Waterproof shoes can make your feet sweat, even if they say they're breathable. Or the seams can leak. Bring extra socks in your day pack, or if you head back to the ship for lunch, change socks. Change to the backup shoes if you're getting 'hot spots'. Have moleskin for when the 'hot spot' becomes a blister.

Don't let bad feet ruin a trip! I have 3 daughters and am a former soldier.

When it comes to shoes, function triumphs over style. Plus, the Europeans girls will have way cooler clothes anyway...just because that's how girls think. :rolleyes:

Angelle- Regardless of which shoes you go with, make sure that you break them in before the trip. I know cold weather gear isn't comfortable in LA, but ya gotta get the bugs out...sometimes a 'aftermarket' insoles can make a big improvement over what comes in the shoe. Or they just really aren't that comfortable after an hour of walking. Better to know that now.

Waterproof shoes can make your feet sweat, even if they say they're breathable. Or the seams can leak. Bring extra socks in your day pack, or if you head back to the ship for lunch, change socks. Change to the backup shoes if you're getting 'hot spots'. Have moleskin for when the 'hot spot' becomes a blister.

Don't let bad feet ruin a trip! I have 3 daughters and am a former soldier.

When it comes to shoes, function triumphs over style. Plus, the Europeans girls will have way cooler clothes anyway...just because that's how girls think. :rolleyes:

Thanks for this great advise!! We are breaking them in now. I agree about function over style, I will be rotating my shoes.