Gem Dry Dock

NoName

Next year? Oh I missed that detail. I remember reading that some people had their cruise extended due to dry dock schedule. So I guess they are booked quite a way out!

I was hoping for a freshly refurbished ship for our December cruise....not that she isn't beautiful enough, I'm sure!

Thanks,

Kim

Next year? Oh I missed that detail. I remember reading that some people had their cruise extended due to dry dock schedule. So I guess they are booked quite a way out!

I was hoping for a freshly refurbished ship for our December cruise....not that she isn't beautiful enough, I'm sure!

Thanks,

Kim

Not me. I'm sailing on her in January, and I'm afraid the first target of any dry dock would be to trash the Spinnaker in favor of some more suites! If she's as pretty as the Jewel I'd prefer to leave well enough alone. At least I'll get to enjoy her before any so called improvements....:(.

Not me. I'm sailing on her in January, and I'm afraid the first target of any dry dock would be to trash the Spinnaker in favor of some more suites! If she's as pretty as the Jewel I'd prefer to leave well enough alone. At least I'll get to enjoy her before any so called improvements....:(.

I just looked at a site called Pentravel. For whatever it's worth, they have the Gem scheduled for the dreaded dry dock in November of 2014. Please NCL, don't hurt her!

Well, it has been six or seven years so I imagine the Gem-IT mermaid in the bridge viewing room has requested a tummy tuck, a facial, and possibly new implants...:p

Coka:D

Edited by coka

NCL: Don't you DARE take away the Spinnaker.........Without that space, well.....I might as well save money and sale Carnival!

Kim

Our cruise is affected by this dry dock. it is scheduled for 11/9/2014 in Bahamas. Not sure what they will be doing to it.

Our cruise was changed from a 9 day to an 11 day, added a sea day and St. Kitts, changed San Juan from 3-9pm to 8-6pm, gave us a $75 OBC and didn't change our price or charge for St. Kitts port fees. All we had to do was rebook our rooms and that was even a plus because we now have adjoining rooms!! Big + for us!!! :D

Edited by Sheils65

• 4 months later...

I realize this thread is a few months old... but I came across it in looking for what updates might be being planned (and when) for the Gem. I also came across this information regarding what will be done in November 2014:

"Norwegian Gem will undergo redecoration of all Penthouse Suites and Horizon and Observation lounges. It will also get custom-crafted furnishings, wall coverings, original artworks, new lighting and new carpets. New furniture will also be added to Deck 11 relaxation area and Deck 12."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

So now back to planning which cruise to book! ;)

I realize this thread is a few months old... but I came across it in looking for what updates might be being planned (and when) for the Gem. I also came across this information regarding what will be done in November 2014:

"Norwegian Gem will undergo redecoration of all Penthouse Suites and Horizon and Observation lounges. It will also get custom-crafted furnishings, wall coverings, original artworks, new lighting and new carpets. New furniture will also be added to Deck 11 relaxation area and Deck 12."

Funny, the link to the refurbishment site on here says "San Francisco". I am pretty sure it will be more like Freeport Bahamas instead.

Dawn

Thank you for posting that.

I believe this info is actually about the Jewel. It is scheduled for drydock in SF.

~Intrepid

NCL: Don't you DARE take away the Spinnaker.........Without that space, well.....I might as well save money and sale Carnival!

Kim

I feel the same way. Although I have no problems with Carnival. I do not care for the lack of the shiptop obsevation lounges. Booooo, the DAWN hasn't got one. I loved Spinnaker on the GEM (although the roof leaked bad in the rain).

Our cruise is affected by this dry dock. it is scheduled for 11/9/2014 in Bahamas. Not sure what they will be doing to it.

Our cruise was changed from a 9 day to an 11 day, added a sea day and St. Kitts, changed San Juan from 3-9pm to 8-6pm, gave us a $75 OBC and didn't change our price or charge for St. Kitts port fees. All we had to do was rebook our rooms and that was even a plus because we now have adjoining rooms!! Big + for us!!! :D

nice! I had a cruise booked with carnival, and without contacting me at all...they cancelled it and revamped the itinerary. I only found out from my visa bill! I would have loved for them to have done something good like they for you!

shame on carnival for not even letting us know! lol

oh well, worked out better for us as we got a better deal with NCL on a better ship:)

Funny, the link to the refurbishment site on here says "San Francisco". I am pretty sure it will be more like Freeport Bahamas instead.

Dawn

I am sure you are right Dawn...sure would be a long way to travel to get to San Fran! Freeport sure makes more sense to me! :)

one thing that I read awhile ago and can't remember where is that all the ships will transform the Blue Lagoon to O'Sheehans so I'm sure the Gem will get that in dry dock....

I remember hearing that too Steve..just don't recall where. The way they do O'Sheehan's is really good..so in my mind that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I believe this info is actually about the Jewel. It is scheduled for drydock in SF.

~Intrepid

Yes it really shows mostly the the same information for both ships. Although as far as what they will be doing to the ships in drydock might be the same for both...don't think that San Fran for the Gem would be correct though. But who knows for sure?!?!

Well, it has been six or seven years so I imagine the Gem-IT mermaid in the bridge viewing room has requested a tummy tuck, a facial, and possibly new implants...:p

Coka:D

She is still as beautiful as ever! I visit her every time I go onboard. When are you sailing next on her? Let's meet up!

Dawn