Another Majestic Princess redeployment?

Geoffa30

A CC member posted a link on Facebook to this a article.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17614-majestic-princess-set-to-sail-from-taiwan-in-2018-deployment-change.html

Not sure whether these will be open to the West though. Will be interesting to see how things pan out and whether changes are made to the ship as a result.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17614-majestic-princess-set-to-sail-from-taiwan-in-2018-deployment-change.html

Not sure whether these will be open to the West though. Will be interesting to see how things pan out and whether changes are made to the ship as a result.

Some Princess ships are already being re-positioned.

I have been to Keelung on a Princess cruise. It is in Taiwan which is part of China with the Peoples Republic of China regarding it as one of their "special economic regions". The Taiwanese government seem to accept this but in some senses regard themselves as independent. Do you recall Mr. Trump phoning their president and a bit of a row with PRC happening? I think Chinese nationals need a visa to go there due to it's special status. So in my opinion it is not as extreme Chinese doctrine there and foreign nationals are more likely to be accepted as arriving in a controlled manner to a smaller island to get on a cruise ship. The Peoples Republic of China are much more careful about mainland travellers. I am more hopeful with this as a turnaround port.

Regards John

The Princess sailings from the Chinese mainland are handled a bit differently than most Princess cruises. The ships that have been based in China are basically charted to a Chinese company that does the passenger bookings, with Princess providing the ship and crew. That is why you cannot find those cruises on Princess schedule. When they shift to Australia they are back under Princess control for bookings.

I suspect that the charter arrangement with the Chinese firm is not working out as expected. If the ship is home ported in Taiwan then it will be interesting to see if the individual cruises can be booked on the Princess web site.

I have been to Keelung on a Princess cruise. It is in Taiwan which is part of China with the Peoples Republic of China regarding it as one of their "special economic regions". The Taiwanese government seem to accept this but in some senses regard themselves as independent.

No matter what China would like to consider Taiwan as being, Taiwan is an independent nation and in no way, shape or form accepts any type of control from the PRC.

Not just Princess, but also other lines such as RCI are finding that the Chinese market is not developing as fast as they would like and are pulling some ships out of the market.

One problem is that China and South Korea have been in a political squabble and the itineraries from China are no longer allowed to make a port call in South Korea. This has made the itineraries less interesting to the potential cruisers.