weird call from what I thought was royal princess

compozer

I was just taking a little nap and was half asleep when the phone rang. The lady said she was so and so from what I thought was Royal Princess and said "we have an offer for you". I sent a letter to them on Tuesday because of several issues on our Christmas cruise - yes, one was the balcony full of soot. I thought, man is this fast and they want to offer us something for it.

She continued and said they wanted to give us a free cruise and we had 18 months to travel and all we had to do is write a review after the cruise. I thought they must be getting lots of complaints and need some positive reviews but then I started waking up and thinking more. She went on and then said she needed my credit card. And when I said that I have never had to give my cc when I booked, she said, cruise lines don't take cash and we just need it on file. I thought - STRANGE. SO I said "what cruise line did you say this was?" She said Royal Bahamas Princess.

That is when I said "good bye" My caller ID which I never look up when a call wakes me up says "Royal Cruises". I googled it but didn't find anything.

Anyone ever heard of them?

It must be that time of year. Last night I got a call late (was expecting a call from my son and didn't look at caller id.) It was from Hilton Honors offering us a free trip to Vegas. I suppose they have a new hotel down there.

I need to keep a pair of glasses by each phone

Are you on the National DO NOT CALL list? Otherwise they are getting your info from someplace you are a customer and already trust. (which is legal) Hmmmmm

Could this be the company. I played on Google a bit and found this

royalbahamacl.com/‎

This also sounds a lot like your call

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130423132213AASdM5j

.......She said Royal Bahamas Princess.

That is when I said "good bye" My caller ID which I never look up when a call wakes me up says "Royal Cruises". I googled it but didn't find anything.

Anyone ever heard of them?

Try to google "Royal Bahamas Cruise Line scam". :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Yes, we are on the DO NOT CALL LIST. I don't really think it does any good. Only three people have my husband's cell number and he gets odd calls all the time. Haven't answered one in two years.

I did do some googling and like I said, figured it out as soon as I woke up. I would never give out any information especially my cc over the phone. I main reason I mentioned it here was to let others know. I would have hung up right away if it wasn't that I just wrote that letter to Princess.

hpeabody,

yes it does but I hung up before she got to the port charges.

Here is another report on it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-from-my-free-cruise/

This is the number from my caller id:

510 201-5674

And I figured the Hilton one was because we just booked several hotels with them.

I still can't believe all the people that fall for them.

Thrak,

Probably the same company but not the same info she gave me.

I am sure there are many different scams out there.

Lots and lots of different types of scams and hardly limited to cruising. My land line keeps getting calls from someone who wants to schedule my install of some sort of "senior alert" system. I'm sure they will reach lots of older people who are confused and will end up getting scheduled to install something they never heard of and will, of course, end up being billed for it.

If only there was a button I could push that would make all of these people disintegrate...

She continued and said they wanted to give us a free cruise and we had 18 months to travel and all we had to do is write a review after the cruise......

.......She went on and then said she needed my credit card. And when I said that I have never had to give my cc when I booked, she said, cruise lines don't take cash and we just need it on file. I thought - STRANGE. SO I said "what cruise line did you say this was?" She said Royal Bahamas Princess..........

Getting back to why they may want your cc number.....

If you don't want to watch the whole thing then just watch from 1 and 1/2 minutes in to at least 13 minutes. I must say the couple maintained a sense of humor and took the attitude that a cruise is what you make of it.

Edited by ar1950

Lots and lots of different types of scams and hardly limited to cruising. My land line keeps getting calls from someone who wants to schedule my install of some sort of "senior alert" system. I'm sure they will reach lots of older people who are confused and will end up getting scheduled to install something they never heard of and will, of course, end up being billed for it.

If only there was a button I could push that would make all of these people disintegrate...

I get these calls all the time. I just block the phone # but in a few days another number shows up.

When our Doctor's office (and between the two of us there are a few ;) calls, it shows up as a 0 number. The scammers have caught on to this also. What a PIA. Can't block the 0 number because it could be the Doctor's office. :mad:

I must get myself an air horn.:D

We took the Hilton offer in September in Vegas. Stayed 3 nights at the Elara (great non gambling hotel), received choice of dinner and 2 tickets to a show. It was well worth the $199.00 we paid and could use the vacation on the weekend. You can really get a great vacation with them. Had to listen to a time share speach and when he found out we were not going to buy, it lasted about 15 minutes. Just an FYI.

Are you on the National DO NOT CALL list?

I'm thinking that is immaterial. I have my cell and home phone on the lists and am receiving lots of unsolicited offers. Reporting them to the FCC doesn't appear to work, but I still do it.

Yes, we are on the DO NOT CALL LIST. I don't really think it does any good. Only three people have my husband's cell number and he gets odd calls all the time. Haven't answered one in two years.

I did do some googling and like I said, figured it out as soon as I woke up. I would never give out any information especially my cc over the phone. I main reason I mentioned it here was to let others know. I would have hung up right away if it wasn't that I just wrote that letter to Princess.

hpeabody,

yes it does but I hung up before she got to the port charges.

Here is another report on it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-from-my-free-cruise/

This is the number from my caller id:

510 201-5674

And I figured the Hilton one was because we just booked several hotels with them.

I still can't believe all the people that fall for them.

Yea, it doesn't seem being on the DNC list does any good at all.:mad: Too many call calls coming from overseas (they certainly don't worry if you report their drug company or whatever) or those recorded calls that want you to press 1 to talk to someone (which probably gets them to later say, "well, they wanted the info") or they scare you by saying they're your credit card company (so you think you have to talk to them, until you realize if it really was, they would say the name of their company instead) or some local company that's doing cold calls from the local phone book because they're hoping they'll get someone who wants their carpet cleaned or a new roof installed--and won't be mad about the cold call.

About five years ago, my hubby decided to turn off the bell and answering machine for our phone (because of some people and companies he wanted to avoid). We basically use it to make calls. He gave out my cell phone number (which is pre-paid so any wrong numbers get charged) to people who may want to reach him at home, I gave the number to our girl's school, etc., but I need to remember to keep it charged, and again, all these calls count against my balance. I'm not a phone person, so I hate being on the phone. But just about any time I turn the bell on because I'm expecting a call...I'll get those unwanted sales calls. I have told a few of those that we're on the DNC list and they need to check that (if I get a second call from one of these companies, I will ask them for the spelling of their company and return number...then say now I'm going on the FCC website. But I'm guessing that will be futile).

I have a second cell, and I get a ton of spam calls on that number. I'm google the number and often find it's on the complaint websites.

Sounds like the scam phone calls my parents get. Just another reason not to have a home phone! ;)

Sorry to say, not having a home phone doesn't make any difference. I get more garbage calls on my cell phone than we do on our land line number at home. These people can get any number they want to make their calls. It is frustrating. Even with the do not call list, we still get several of these irritating calls.

In spite of having home and cell phones on 'Do Not Call' lists, we get lots of scam calls (once had the one that was supposedly from our 'grandson', saying he was in trouble and needed us to wire money immediately!) on both of them. The worst are the bogus or wrong number text messages, since I don't do many texts and pay by the message.

I've found a website that will sometimes help identify who the call was from - it's "WhoCallsMe.com". Enter in the phone number, and sometimes it will come up as an already identified scam or 'robo-call'. I entered in the phone number you listed as being the one which called you, and nothing came up, but you can sumbit a comment about your call from this number to warn someone else.

Edited by Kartgv

I always check the caller ID screen before answering my home phone .... if all that shows is a phone number or if it's a name I don't know or a blank screen ... I used to ignore and not answer, but got sick of listening to the phone ring. So now I hit the button as if I am going to answer but don't say a word, silently count to 3, and then hang up. I simply don't accept and calls from unknowns.

In spite of having home and cell phones on 'Do Not Call' lists, we get lots of scam calls (once had the one that was supposedly from our 'grandson', saying he was in trouble and needed us to wire money immediately!) on both of them. The worst are the bogus or wrong number text messages, since I don't do many texts and pay by the message.

I've found a website that will sometimes help identify who the call was from - it's "WhoCallsMe.com". Enter in the phone number, and sometimes it will come up as an already identified scam or 'robo-call'. I entered in the phone number you listed as being the one which called you, and nothing came up, but you can sumbit a comment about your call from this number to warn someone else.

I tried the last five unknown phone calls that ignored and not one of them came up.

What percentage actually works for you?

I always check the caller ID screen before answering my home phone .... if all that shows is a phone number or if it's a name I don't know or a blank screen ... I used to ignore and not answer, but got sick of listening to the phone ring. So now I hit the button as if I am going to answer but don't say a word, silently count to 3, and then hang up. I simply don't accept and calls from unknowns.

Well, with robo-calls, there's always a lag between the time the system recognizes that the call has been answered and when it can connect the call to a live "representative". So if you have to say "hello" twice, it's a robo-call and I always hang up.

I tried the last five unknown phone calls that ignored and not one of them came up.

What percentage actually works for you?

I usually get about 60 percent to show up on that website. I only try when it's been a call from a telemarketer. I also report them to FCC, even though I know it doesn't do much good. Occasionally, however, I'll read an article about fines against a telemarketer and think "hurray!"