Question regarding currency at ports of call...

Smilin'Wave

I've only ever been on 2 cruises before & am about to go on my third very soon. My first cruise was to Bahamas & my second was to Bermuda.

On our (fast approaching) upcoming cruise we are going to Cozumel & Grand Cayman. We have decided to go to Tulum when we stop in Cozumel. We were wondering about the currency at these places. Will we need local currency or will US dollars be accepted?

We don't plan on spending much at the ports but would like to be able to buy some food & drinks.

Any place in the Caribbean accepts American dollars. But bring lots of small bills. They may give change in local currency, at a very poor exchange rate.

Many stores will quote prices in US$ or Peso's. Bigger stores will accept credit cards as well.

When in Cozumel if we do not have pesos, we try to use our credit card as much as possible. The "on the spot" exchange rate for things quoted in pesos is 10:1- easy to do math with, terrible value. Even our cards that charge a small percentage we do better to pay with a CC. AND most places charge in dollars, so there isn't a transaction fee at all. We saved quite a bit of money this way. We have seen no fraud on the cards we used our multiple trips to Mexico (we have had fraud on cards that have never been out of the country...)

My bank exchanges pesos free, so we like to get just a few. The 10:1 exchange really rips you off.

But US dollars are happily taken in any of the locations you named.