Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz you should have told them you'd move if they offer you a free trip.

I am in the process of getting paperwork together for our July Carnival (eek!) cruise. I was able to get an appointment for passports for my kids for next week, spring break, at a tiny post office. Can we say relief? I was able to get one for late April at the busy main PO which would still give us time to get the documents for the kids but now I don't have to pull them out of school early for the passports.

Now for the dog, I have an appointment on Friday at the vet. I have the application for import that Carnival sent me. It looks like I can send that in on my own without the vet? Does that sound right? If I remember correctly I send this in and the Bahamas send me back a paper that I need to bring to the vet? I know in addition I need the health certificate that I'll need closer to the date of the cruise.

The cruise line referred me to pettravel.com for information. They have a "kit" the can sell me for $15 for the "Pet Passport Bahamas" that includes the import application, the vet certificate, and an airline certificate. I have never needed this website before and it sounds like I have or can get the paperwork from the vet myself.

I don't think the vet has to fill out anything for the cruiseline. You just fill out the dog form . As for the Bahamas form, I will post it here. All you need to do is fill it out and write "service dog" across the top so they don't charge you the 10 dollars. Send the form in and they will mail you back a permit. You should do that soon cuz it takes a long time by mail. If you have a fax machine available to you, thats even better.

http://www.bringfido.com/travel/international/bahamas/

Scroll down bottom and there is the pdf form.

CJ: Don't buy any "kit", talk to your Vet. He/she may charge for the Intl. Health Cert. but you'll get all that you need through them.

I've been spending my days at Northridge Hospital. My dear husband, Morey, fell on Monday and could not get up and I couldn't move him without him complaining of severe pain, he hit his head, had a black eye and was generally very, very weak. I called 911 and they were at his side in 7 minutes. They said his blood pressure was very high, his blood sugar was over 340 [110 would be normal] and he couldn't stop shaking. After a full battery of tests it was determined that he had had a silent stroke followed by symptoms of Parkinson's, rapid heart beat, lack of iron and magnesium and he was generally confused. Poor guy he's so sick. No broken bones, just lots of bruises. He's still in the hospital with I.V. of iron, sodium chloride, insulin injections, MRI's, CatScans, xray's - poking and prodding every day with telemetry on his heart. He can't stand-up, he can't walk, he can't be on his own......he's so traumatized......he's usually independent and self sustaining......he's hating every minute of his time in bed. I leave my visits with him, crying my way to the elevator.

With all of the above, you can imagine I won't be taking my long awaited cruise this Saturday [i am soooooo disappointed], there's lots of time to take all the cruises I want but there's only ONE MOREY!!!!!

He'll probably go to re-hab, learn to walk with a walker, be taken off of his usual vegan diet and with God's help and all your prayers live a long and wonderful life with the love of his life......ME!!!!

I will call my TA tomorrow and see if we can get a name change on the manifest and I'll give my cruise to my brother who can go with my SIL Debi, who was to be my cruising partner.

Horton and especially Brenda are missing our leader, Morey, and are sending him our strongest vibes to come home to us very soon!

I took both the dogs to the hospital [with their vests on] to visit him and they were so happy to see him, as he was to see them. I hated to leave him at the end of the visit.

OMG Roz, I'm so sorry to hear about Morey. 340 blood sugar? WOW! No wonder he fell. Did he have a real stroke or was it a TIA like John had?

Please give him our best. We will pray for a quick recovery.

So sorry that you can't go on your cruise, but like you said, "there's only one Morey". You need to be there for him. I hope they will let you change the name on the cruise. For an emergency they should.

I don't want to get in a fight about being a vegan or vegetarian. But it's not just about not eating meat. You really have to know what you are doing in order to get all the vitamins and minerals you need. John works with alot of girls who are either vegan or veg. Some look great and others look so sickly and gross.

Cindy----what is happening with John. Sending good vibes your way also. Is he getting lazer to get rid of the stones? I know they can be VERY painful. Hugs to all of you.

John is having the stone removed. The way his body reacts to things, I don't think they want him to pass it. His blood pressure will go sky high because thats how his brain reacts to pain. They will take the stone out when they do a bladder scope. It's been 2 weeks since the doctor visit and still no call for the operating date. :mad: I guess he will be calling the doctor again.

Hi. I am going on an Oceania cruise -- not bringing my guide dog this time -- she just retired. But as I was reading the documentation, it stated that service dogs were not allowed on the ship. Has anyone heard of this? The ship leaves from Miami. Thanks.

Hi. I am going on an Oceania cruise -- not bringing my guide dog this time -- she just retired. But as I was reading the documentation, it stated that service dogs were not allowed on the ship. Has anyone heard of this? The ship leaves from Miami. Thanks.

Welcome, I searched the Oceania site and I couldn't even find anything about accessible cruising. Seems they aren't to handicapped friendly so I'm not surprised they do not allow service dogs.

Roz, I am sending prayers and hugs to you and Morey, and Brenda and Horton. :)

Marcia, it is over the top gorgeous......You are so amazing! I don't think it fit through the door easily......Wow!

Thank you for ALWAYS doing the right thing for everyone else.

I love you, sweet lady and so does Morey.

Roz

OMG Roz, I'm so sorry to hear about Morey. 340 blood sugar? WOW! No wonder he fell. Did he have a real stroke or was it a TIA like John had?

Please give him our best. We will pray for a quick recovery.

So sorry that you can't go on your cruise, but like you said, "there's only one Morey". You need to be there for him. I hope they will let you change the name on the cruise. For an emergency they should.

I don't want to get in a fight about being a vegan or vegetarian. But it's not just about not eating meat. You really have to know what you are doing in order to get all the vitamins and minerals you need. John works with alot of girls who are either vegan or veg. Some look great and others look so sickly and gross.

Cindy, what a nightmare this has been. Like everyone has said.....I am so grateful that this happened before I left. Had he been left alone he would have died on the hall floor because he couldn't move, he couldn't crawl and he's so darn stubbon and was becoming weaker and weaker. I ignored his orders and demands and just dialed 911. The doctor said he was 24 hours away from renal shutdown or a massive heart attack. He will be on insulin, cholesterol meds, heart meds and will be monitoring himself daily. He has a lot to learn and I'm here to help him, along with a slew of great doctors & nurses.

He had a stroke and now has early symptoms of Parkinson's. He is severly weakened on the right side but his speech is fully intact [with confusion.] His iron was virtually non-existent as well as magnesium and something else. That darn diet that he's been on for over 3 1/2 years was about to kill him. His cardiologist is going to have a dietician work with him on eating correctly; he watches this T.V. show everyday where this man touts throwing away your insulin and cholesterol meds and just follow his diet......If I could get my hands on this moron he wouldn't need a diet anymore!

He goes to re-hab today and will be there for a while. I'm getting a home health care nurse and he won't go home until he can walk and take his meds on his own.

Thank you for ALWAYS being there for me and being a source of great wisdom and love.

Roz' date=' im so sorry to hear about Mory! You are always our rock and here to give us strength to get through our problems. Please allow us to do the same when you need help. In the mean time you have our thoughts and prayers and of course doggy hugs.

Please keep us posted

:([/quote']

Barbara, your kind words mean a lot to me. You are so right about those doggy hugs.....Brenda & Horton are a great source of love and devotion.

In the 11 years that I've had Brenda she has NEVER, NEVER been left at home alone and it seems this past week she's learned a lot about it. Of course at her age of 13 she really just wants to sleep but when she sees Horty and I coming through the door she does hop and skip like a youngster. She misses Morey more than any of us and I know it. She gets extra love and kisses for her lonely, little heart!

Oh Roz, I am so sorry to hear about Morey, wishing him a full recovery.

Yes,, you miss your cruise but good thing you were still home when this happened. Hugs and Prayers to you and Morey. So nice that you can bring both dogs to the hospital----that will sure help with his recovery and probably help you also.

Sending Prayers and Hugs and please take care of yourself also.

Trudy, thank you so much for your lovely wishes. With all of you wishing him well, it shouldn't take long.

Brenda & Horton are a great source of comfort for me, while my man is being repaired.

Tell Morey I wish him a speedy recovery and that a long cruise will help. Maybe he's gonna need his very own service dog? :rolleyes:

DKD: Thank you so much, for your always welcomed good wishes......Yippee! We get to get another dog! I'd love it!

Roz: I am now crying too! Huge prayers and giant hugs coming your way. Fairbourne is so right. Imagine what might have happened if you were already on your cruise. Is he feeling better in general? Confusion gone? I hope the IV's get him the help he needs and he will be good to go. It is very stressful having to work and take care of a loved one.

Nancy, thank you so much for caring. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I wasn't there.......It's frightening!

He's definitely stronger but he's just not himself, yet! He's very angry and so confused.

The stress is so overwhelming at times......I have fallen apart a few times and then I pick myself up, dust myself off and start to cry all over again!

You guys are and always have been a great source of release for many of those feelings......THANK YOU!

Love you......

Oh Roz, I am so sorry to hear your news of Morey - although we don't know you, please give him our very best wishes for a speedy recovery to get home to you and Horton and Brenda. They will be wondering what on earth is going on with their "dad"! But I am sure, there is no doubt at all that their visits to Morey will help his recovery.

You must be disappointed about your cruise, but in a way, thank goodness this happened when you were still at home, and not away! You would have been in a terrible state to get back to him. There will always be another cruise.

Roz, I am sending you a big hug as I hate to think of you crying your way to the elevator - but I know I would be the same. Horton and Brenda will be giving you big doggy hugs which are the best in the world.

I do check in with all your tales from time to time and when I saw the time of your post I did wonder why on earth you were up at that time - now I know. Roz, you take care of yourself dear lady. :)

Yes, I am so disappointed about my cruise. We're working on getting a credit since this cruise was overbooked and there was a family who wanted our cabin very badly......boy, talk about that karma thing.

Thank you so much for your kind and good wishes they do mean a lot to me.....And, of course you know me......we're cyber buddies. Your words are very comforting to me.

Thank You!

Alohatoo: Welcome to our gang!!! It's my understanding that when a vessel departs a cruise ship from any USA port, they MUST abide by the Federal Law, no matter where the ship originates from.

As far as Oceania is concerned they are going against the law of the United States of America and I would PUSH the point right at them or get your mangy ship out of our country!!! :mad:

Marcia, it is over the top gorgeous......You are so amazing! I don't think it fit through the door easily......Wow!

Thank you for ALWAYS doing the right thing for everyone else.

I love you, sweet lady and so does Morey.

Roz

I love you both, too. :)

Roz, I know that Morey is your focus, but please remember to take care of yourself too.

Edited by dobiemom

Alohatoo: Welcome to our gang!!! It's my understanding that when a vessel departs a cruise ship from any USA port, they MUST abide by the Federal Law, no matter where the ship originates from.

As far as Oceania is concerned they are going against the law of the United States of America and I would PUSH the point right at them or get your mangy ship out of our country!!! :mad:

Alohatoo - maybe you could ask your question over on the Oceania board? it seems that Mr Frank DelRio, (I think he is CEO of Oceania) does read all the posts and I am sure would answer if you asked the question over there. :)

Roz - sounds like you will have a tough time ahead, I just can't imagine. I hope you and Morey get all the support you need. You know where to come for some virtual hugs! :) take care Roz.

Cindy, what a nightmare this has been. Like everyone has said.....I am so grateful that this happened before I left. Had he been left alone he would have died on the hall floor because he couldn't move, he couldn't crawl and he's so darn stubbon and was becoming weaker and weaker. I ignored his orders and demands and just dialed 911. The doctor said he was 24 hours away from renal shutdown or a massive heart attack. He will be on insulin, cholesterol meds, heart meds and will be monitoring himself daily. He has a lot to learn and I'm here to help him, along with a slew of great doctors & nurses.

He had a stroke and now has early symptoms of Parkinson's. He is severly weakened on the right side but his speech is fully intact [with confusion.] His iron was virtually non-existent as well as magnesium and something else. That darn diet that he's been on for over 3 1/2 years was about to kill him. His cardiologist is going to have a dietician work with him on eating correctly; he watches this T.V. show everyday where this man touts throwing away your insulin and cholesterol meds and just follow his diet......If I could get my hands on this moron he wouldn't need a diet anymore!

He goes to re-hab today and will be there for a while. I'm getting a home health care nurse and he won't go home until he can walk and take his meds on his own.

Thank you for ALWAYS being there for me and being a source of great wisdom and love.

What a horrible thing to have to go through. We are praying for a speedy recovery. You seem to have everything in control. This was a wakeup call for him to start doing the right thing. He'll be back driving you nuts before you know it! :D

Here's an article John did for a journalism student. One link has the story and one has pictures. Hopefully you will be able to read it, sometimes the site wants you to sign up so let me know.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/somerville/day-with-wexler-the-service-dog/huWDIdBdLUbXKQSx92FLlL/gallery.html

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/somerville/2013/03/a_canine_classroom_companion_a.html

Here's an article John did for a journalism student. One link has the story and one has pictures. Hopefully you will be able to read it, sometimes the site wants you to sign up so let me know.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/somerville/day-with-wexler-the-service-dog/huWDIdBdLUbXKQSx92FLlL/gallery.html

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/somerville/2013/03/a_canine_classroom_companion_a.html

Cindy: OMD (Oh my dog) Happy tears. What a great article. I love the pictures. Wexy has such expressions on his face. You can almost read his mind. I bet the kids are over the moon when they get Wexy time. Win, win situation for all of them. Very proud of your boys!

Cindy: OMD (Oh my dog) Happy tears. What a great article. I love the pictures. Wexy has such expressions on his face. You can almost read his mind. I bet the kids are over the moon when they get Wexy time. Win, win situation for all of them. Very proud of your boys!

Thanks Nancy! They always make me proud! :D

Great article (crying now) and great pictures! :) I love the line towards the end, "Wex thinks that everyone is on this world so that he can be patted." That's just what my dog thinks! ;)

Glad I am not the only one in tears. :D Great story and the pictures were great. I just love that Wex. He must get so much joy being with the children, he is such a loveably boy. Hope that John is feeling ok Cindy----sending you hugs and good thoughts too.

Roz----glad to hear things are getting better and Morey is on his was to recovery. I know it will be a long road but we all send hugs, and wishes and prayers to help both of you to get through this quickly.

I came home to check on Brenda and feed them both - I thought I'd check my emails.........

YOU ALL are such wonderful friends and have become a source of heartfelt & meaningful words of friendship & love.

Morey is moving along very, very slowly. He can hardly sit-up without assistance. Although he has his speech, what he says sometimes makes absolutely no sense at all or he'll repeat himself over and over again. I realize he's confused and it's difficult to watch this headstrong, intellectual man making such little sense. This will be a long and winding road for him.

About my cruise tomorrow......I did NOT buy insurance for it.....please don't yell at me.....I was so tired of spending thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on insurance...I said, forget it this time. Now I'm working with my TA and Princess to either give me a credit or apply this to my upcoming cruise in Sept. Princess is not budging much and my TA suggested that I write a letter to their customer service dept.

I am a very frequent Princess cruiser, do you guys have any other ideas or suggestions for me that I haven't thought of?

I'm running back to re-hab and back to my Morey. Love you all and thanks again for being there for me.

I have just read this and immediately called my DH to come and look at it as well, so I watched it all again! What a handsome boy Wexler is and takes his teaching role so seriously - you have just got to love that face of concentration! I hadn't realised John had been unwell, I must have missed your news - I am sorry to hear this and send him our best wishes. Thank you for sharing these articles. :)