"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

ive never been on a ship for a long period of time like this, but i love speed boats and etc. is a cruise different? like is there a chance i can get seasick or etc? if i do can i purchase meds onboard?[/QUOte]

Well, there's always a chance. I don't have a history of motion sickness but I still was sick the first two nights. When the earthquake hit Haiti a friend of mine was on a cruise and there were lots of people sick. Or a storm could hit. In a nutshell I would say be prepared. Yes, you can buy Dramamine or Bonine on board but it is much cheaper to buy it a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart beforehand.

I ran out of contact lens fluid while on a cruise and a small bottle cost $12 on board. So, I would recommend getting any of that kind of stuff before your cruise. While you can find deals in the shops toiletries are not something you can save on.

Edited by Eris0303

ah ok very true. will stock up before i go! 196 days

Well, there's always a chance. I don't have a history of motion sickness but I still was sick the first two nights. When the earthquake hit Haiti a friend of mine was on a cruise and there were lots of people sick. Or a storm could hit. In a nutshell I would say be prepared. Yes, you can buy Dramamine or Bonine on board but it is much cheaper to buy it a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart beforehand.

I ran out of contact lens fluid while on a cruise and a small bottle cost $12 on board. So, I would recommend getting any of that kind of stuff before your cruise. While you can find deals in the shops toiletries are not something you can save on.

Unfortunately I live in Ireland and we don't have any of those stores here. I've looked locally and Bonine doesn't seem to be available here.:(

I'm assuming you're coming a day or two before embarkaration. If so I really recommend not stressing about not being able to find Bonine in Ireland. Wait until you get to the US and go to a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart near your hotel. I'm sure there will be other people doing the same thing. Perhaps you could ask on your roll call here on CC to ask if anyone is planning on going and if you could tag along.

Edited by Eris0303

I'm assuming you're coming a day or two before embarkaration. If so I really recommend not stressing about not being able to find Bonine in Ireland. Wait until you get to the US and go to a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart near your hotel. I'm sure there will be other people doing the same thing. Perhaps you could ask on your roll call here on CC to ask if anyone is planning on going and if you could tag along.

Or maybe someone on your roll call can pick it up for you and you can pay them when you get there. ;)

Another good option. My roommate on my last cruise got to port a full day before me and picked me up some ginger ale

Green apples are supposed to help with sea sickness too. Look for them on the buffets and keep a few in your cabin.

When I was on the Celebrity Millenium, I found single packets of bonine at the infirmary. I managed to help myself to a handful and those will be coming with me onto the Liberty of the Seas in the Mediterranean in a couple weeks.

WOW. I feel like I am in need of some serious detox. I have spent the last five days reading, copying and pasting the posts from this thread. Incredible wealth of infomation for DW and I. We are looking forward to our first cruise. Halloween aboard Carnival Destiny.:D

WOW. I feel like I am in need of some serious detox. I have spent the last five days reading, copying and pasting the posts from this thread. Incredible wealth of infomation for DW and I. We are looking forward to our first cruise. Halloween aboard Carnival Destiny.:D

it is kind of overwhelming isnt it :D. but just remember too get on the ship, relax and let come-what-may. i know you will have a wonderful time. :)

As virgin cruisers we would like to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread for the extremely valuable information on here.:)

We have been visiting this thread for the last 18 months and can't believe that our sail date is almost upon us. We are so excited and feel well equipped with all the hints and tips posted on here. We would like to give a special mention of thanks to cornishpastyman1 and Happy Cruiser for your insights into cruising, we will be having an ice cream in Rome for Cornishpastyman1 and of course sampling the peanut butter ice cream with lashings of M&M's.:):)

BIG BIG THANKS, Celebrity Eclipse here we come :D:D:D

Bernie & Valerie

That is correct. We had been asked when we reserved the cruise if we were celebrating anything and we told them that we were celebrating our anniversary. They said it would be done on the 1st formal night but it came and went with nothing happening (all we wanted was the piece of cake/singing...it was a surprise for DH) so in the end I talked to our waiter and he came through with flying colors.

I think Luvcats! was referring to celebrating your birthday or anniversary, etc on a cruise.

If you want to arrange a private party, on Princess there is a section at their HQ that handles per planning for gatherings. They deal with the purser to arrange a room, etc. I would think other lines have a similar process.

1. How much fun Sea days are! Ports are great, but real relaxation where you don't have to be ANYWHERE by a certain time (except dinner) only come from sea days.

2. Pack half as much as you think you'll need

3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Pack as much as you can because it is EXPENSIVE onboard.

4. Booking a cabin mid-ship and near (but not too near) to an elevator shaft is super convenient when you forgot your camera at dinner time and need to run back to the room.

5. Use your OBC and spending money wisely. The first day could wipe you out and then you'll feel guilty the rest of the trip....on the same note, try and bring alcohol in using stealth methods.

1. How much fun Sea days are! Ports are great, but real relaxation where you don't have to be ANYWHERE by a certain time (except dinner) only come from sea days.

2. Pack half as much as you think you'll need

3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Pack as much as you can because it is EXPENSIVE onboard.

4. Booking a cabin mid-ship and near (but not too near) to an elevator shaft is super convenient when you forgot your camera at dinner time and need to run back to the room.

5. Use your OBC and spending money wisely. The first day could wipe you out and then you'll feel guilty the rest of the trip....on the same note, try and bring alcohol in using stealth methods.

Hmmm wise advise but what 'stealth methods' do you recommned?

Our ports will be Dubai, Muscat and Cochin (India) so purchasing alcohol ashore to bring on board could be a problem.

The best piece of advice that I can offer is to read the boards often, but remember that most of what is on the page is an opinion and some people are just old, grouchy, and glass-half-empty people!

We did cruise ship sponsored excursions on 4 of our 6 port days....we created our own excursion one day and stayed on the ship one day. The day that my girlfriends let me take charge and plan a day where we got to decide what we were doing and the timing, etc, and not rely on a cruise ship sponsored excursion was the best day.

Your cruise is what you make of it!

Your cruise is what you make of it!

:D:D

So true! My first cruise was in April on NCL Jewel and I read these boards received some great advice and took the naysayers with a grain of salt.

We laughed all week no matter what we were doing, lots of relaxing and so much fun that we are sailing again in May on the NCL Dawn and looking forward to being in one place(Bermuda) for 2 1/2 days!

It is all what you make of it.

Hmmm wise advise but what 'stealth methods' do you recommned?

Our ports will be Dubai, Muscat and Cochin (India) so purchasing alcohol ashore to bring on board could be a problem.

What I've done in the past is buy a bottle of alcohol and a hand bottle of soda, then pour most of the soda out and a lot of the alcohol in, then bring it onboard. It'll taste different and be diluted depending on what you mix it with. But does the trick :)

Also, I've read on here that during embarkation, a cruiser bought a 'to go' large container from dunkin' donuts and filled it with a new plastic container full of alcohol and no on questioned him through security as he walked it on through security. I've also heard camel baks in backpacks work well.

Much of these are simply 'hiding in plain site'

I believe the clip is intended to discourage the shower curtain from getting too friendly. Shower stalls are usually quite small on cruise ships.

That. And they aren't really stalls. Stalls are closed with glass/plastic panels. The shower areas on ships more like the shower corners in old public housing or kibbutzim in Israel. Don't know what else to compare them to.

I would definitely NOT recommend sneaking alcohol on board your ship. Some ships do allow you to bring some things on board, but some don't allow anything. My advice is to be very familiar with your cruise line's policy before you go, and don't try to do something they don't allow. I've seen it happen more than once, where someone tried to sneak alcohol on board, it was found, and the person (people) were very embarrassed! It's just not worth taking a chance, in my opinion. I've seen the cruise personnel check mouthwash bottles, water bottles, soda bottles; if you can think of it, it's probably already been tried! Sometimes you get caught and sometimes you don't.

I would definitely NOT recommend sneaking alcohol on board your ship. Some ships do allow you to bring some things on board, but some don't allow anything. My advice is to be very familiar with your cruise line's policy before you go, and don't try to do something they don't allow. I've seen it happen more than once, where someone tried to sneak alcohol on board, it was found, and the person (people) were very embarrassed! It's just not worth taking a chance, in my opinion. I've seen the cruise personnel check mouthwash bottles, water bottles, soda bottles; if you can think of it, it's probably already been tried! Sometimes you get caught and sometimes you don't.

Agree. You are spending a lot of money. So spend a little more.

Wow - it took me a long time but I have finally reached the end. I loved getting all the info and advice. My first cruise is coming up with my bff - our husbands opted out due to work issues and we decided to go for it anyway. Can not wait! I have cut and pasted quite a list together for things to bring - thanks again.