Salmon Hatchery--Juneau

lovetotraveltx

If we have time, is Salmon Hatchery worth a stop in Mid-June?? If yes, what's the best way to do this?

I was hoping one of the locals would chime in on this one for you. I spent most of my summers fishing at the hatchery until I was about 20 years old. It is pretty rare I have been back in Juneau by mid-June since then as it isn't prime fishing time :)

To me, the coolest part of the hatchery is seeing salmon so thick you could almost walk across them on the water. In mid-June, there might be some chum and pinks starting to come in, but it will be a bit early still. My guess is that the ladder won't even be up and running yet.

There is a tour that operates at the fish hatchery. In all the years I spent fishing on the beach there, I am ashamed to say I have never been on the tour (probably going this summer as I'll have the kids with me). So I can't comment on the tour.

Getting there is a bit of a trick without a ship tour. The city bus will let you off by Twin Lakes/hospital which will be about a 5 minute walk. You can take a taxi, which I would predict set you back around $25 or so (I have access to a car in Juneau, so I'm just estimating on the cab fare). If you were interested in going, I'd probably recommend renting a car.

Is it worth the trip in mid-June? Personally, I wouldn't recommend someone go out of there way to see the hatchery that early in the season (someone who has been on the tour might disagree). If you rent a car and it really won't cost you anything to go there, then I'd say it would be a neat way to kill 15 minutes.

If we have time, is Salmon Hatchery worth a stop in Mid-June?? If yes, what's the best way to do this?

Also, are Salmon Bakes worth it? If yes, what port?

Are you going to have a car? You are too early for the hords of salmon, but you will be driving right by if you have a car, to add the stop. They do have some exhibits if of interest.

Plenty of people enjoy the salmon bakes, available out of both Juneau and Skagway, but you can get salmon in countless eateries.

Are you going to have a car? You are too early for the hords of salmon, but you will be driving right by if you have a car, to add the stop. They do have some exhibits if of interest.

Plenty of people enjoy the salmon bakes, available out of both Juneau and Skagway, but you can get salmon in countless eateries.

Should we rent a car for the day?? Wouldn't mind doing that. Are there rentals close by the pier? Doing Whale watching at the Icy Strait stop to free up time in Juneau! I believe we are docked 10 to 12 hours.

Thank you.

Also, are Salmon Bakes worth it? If yes, what port?

We did this tour last summer. It was nice to do. I am not sure if the salmon bake can be done for less on your own. I think they were picking up at the dock but not sure if with cruise lines for all buses or not. The hatchery was interesting.

We did this tour last summer. It was nice to do. I am not sure if the salmon bake can be done for less on your own. I think they were picking up at the dock but not sure if with cruise lines for all buses or not. The hatchery was interesting.

Our tour also included a stop at Mendenhall Glacier.

What cruise line? So you do hatchery, salmon bake and a stop at glacier?

Thanks!

Should we rent a car for the day?? Wouldn't mind doing that. Are there rentals close by the pier? Doing Whale watching at the Icy Strait stop to free up time in Juneau! I believe we are docked 10 to 12 hours.

Thank you.

How were you planning on seeing the Hatchery? Frankly, I suggest you look at taking advantage of being in Juneau with your activities, the "hatchery" is hardly a highlight. In my opinion, it's something to add only.

I have no clue if you should rent a car. Is it of interest to you to spend your day driving between sights of YOUR interest? With this question- I suggest you first, find out what is available to drive to and see.

Avis is walkable at the Goldbelt.

Figure out, what YOUR touring interests are, and why you are going to Alaska and what you want to see and do. There are numerous possibilities.