Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

It never ceases to amazse me how many people are astounded that Lucy "behaves" in public! Of course she does. She has been trained and it is part of her job.

We went to a "meet and greet" for our new apartment manager a few days ago. Lucy lay down by my feet the entire time and totally ignored the food (as she should.) The manager and several other tenants made a big deal about how she ignored the food and never barked at the crowd. The manager told me, "My dog would have cleared the table by now. She eats everything in sight."

My reaction: "Uh, have you tried training her? This is chocolate cake and could make her very sick."

Her reply: "No, it is too much trouble!" :confused:

People never cease to amaze me.

This is all so true. I forget about the many, many comments that we get all the time. When we're in a restaurant and Horton behaves [yes, even Horton] like such a gentleman [although he could clear every table at a simple stretch!]

I was at JCPenny yesterday [the very one that had asked me to "remove your dog" 6 years earlier] and when I approached the counter to pay, I asked Horton to sit and of course he immediately responded and there was a mutual "gasp" from the folks in line. I swear people are so amazed to see a well-behaved and respectful dog.

Don't you just love showing-off how brilliant our "kids" are!

Yes well my MIL Guide Dog Sally is sometimes naughty when off leash and she is the alpha dog in the house (humps Irby my FIL male guide dog to show dominance when off leash and she wants to show whose boss) also while off leash if we have left the table she will try and eat crumbs or get buns if they are left unsupervised and attacks kleenexes in the garbage can so we can't use the bathroom garbage cans for that at inlaws place. But in harness she is well behaved and will lie down when my MIL is working at a desk or sitting and stay there and not bark or anything. My FIL guide dog likes to lick people their pant legs etc especially if they have other pets but again while in harness this is mostly controlled. Both are great with the kids even when they were toddler age and hugged the dogs longer etc. Never growled or bit or anything just sometimes a sad plea with the eyes saying this little pup thing is lying on me and I just want to nap. They are uber excited when the kids come over as they love the extra attention ;)

What kind of service dog is yours?? My only experience has been with guide dogs and I have seen a few for hearing dogs and one for autism and one for seizures (it was a little lap dog thing) at least that is what the harness said..

Jenn

What Brenda and now Horton does for me used to be written all over their vests until one day, I was in an elevator and two young men were with us. One of the boys taunted Brenda with "come here", whistle sounds and slapping his hand on his leg to get her attention, while the other one was reading her vest and repeating, word for word what was written on it. I no longer announce to the world what my dog does for me.

It was so humiliating because Brenda was overwhelmed with the attention and kept breaking her command [i couldn't blame her.] They then turned their attention to me with making sounds [causing Brenda to react.] It was the longest elevator ride I have ever taken and since I was very new at walking in the world with a Working Dog, it really caught me off-guard.

A gentleman in the elevator with us told them to stop and they did. I now know how to handle these situations but at the time I was a newby and I was lost.

Horton's vest reads "Working Dog!" That's really all that's necessary for the world to know.

Seeing impaired folks are very obvious, the rest of us, not so much. On a cruise when I'm seeing the same folks over and over again for a week or more I will get into discussions about what exactly my dog does for me and will go into detail and even give a small demo. if asked.

Horton & Brenda were trained by CCI. They ONLY TRAIN; Service Dogs, Skilled Companion Dogs, Facility Dogs and Hearing Dogs. They're also working with Service Men & Women returning from service to our country.

Finally broke Blitz of greeting women in dresses with that long nose under the dress...... First time I was so embarrassed I think more so that she was. He only did it one time and it was very funny looking back..........

546742_167022186758621_1484970769_n.jpg

How did you break him of it?

What Brenda and now Horton does for me used to be written all over their vests until one day, I was in an elevator and two young men were with us. One of the boys taunted Brenda with "come here", whistle sounds and slapping his hand on his leg to get her attention, while the other one was reading her vest and repeating, word for word what was written on it. I no longer announce to the world what my dog does for me.

It was so humiliating because Brenda was overwhelmed with the attention and kept breaking her command [i couldn't blame her.] They then turned their attention to me with making sounds [causing Brenda to react.] It was the longest elevator ride I have ever taken and since I was very new at walking in the world with a Working Dog, it really caught me off-guard.

A gentleman in the elevator with us told them to stop and they did. I now know how to handle these situations but at the time I was a newby and I was lost.

Horton's vest reads "Working Dog!" That's really all that's necessary for the world to know.

Seeing impaired folks are very obvious, the rest of us, not so much. On a cruise when I'm seeing the same folks over and over again for a week or more I will get into discussions about what exactly my dog does for me and will go into detail and even give a small demo. if asked.

Horton & Brenda were trained by CCI. They ONLY TRAIN; Service Dogs, Skilled Companion Dogs, Facility Dogs and Hearing Dogs. They're also working with Service Men & Women returning from service to our country.

I just don't understand the need to make whistling sounds, kissing noises and my favorite "doggy doggy" . What is wrong with people, they know it's a working dog yet they still feel the need to do that!! I can't count the number of times that John and Wexy pass by someone and they reach out and touch the dog as he's going by. Who does that?

I just don't understand the need to make whistling sounds, kissing noises and my favorite "doggy doggy" . What is wrong with people, they know it's a working dog yet they still feel the need to do that!! I can't count the number of times that John and Wexy pass by someone and they reach out and touch the dog as he's going by. Who does that?

Cindy,

If you think it's tough with a service dog, try it with a puppy in training. At least our service dogs can be "released" so someone can pet them and the dogs know it's something special. We take Ocho out and everyone wants to pet and cuddle the cute little puppy. That is not allowed at all. He will start to think that every time we take him out he can play with everyone. Try explaining that to people. :mad:

Cindy,

If you think it's tough with a service dog, try it with a puppy in training. At least our service dogs can be "released" so someone can pet them and the dogs know it's something special. We take Ocho out and everyone wants to pet and cuddle the cute little puppy. That is not allowed at all. He will start to think that every time we take him out he can play with everyone. Try explaining that to people. :mad:

I stare and stare and give a pleading face......"please, please can I just touch the puppy?" You know they're just irresistible!!! And, you're right they NEVER let us touch them! I'm very bad at not staring at them!!!!

Roz, What cruise are you taking in March????

We're doing the Pacific Northwest with the addition of 2 days in San Francisco and a day in Catalina, besides Santa Barbara and San Diego. It's a port intensive cruise, which is perfect because if I don't want to go ashore the ship will be MINE! I love it when everybody leaves and I have it all to myself!

You want to come along? I have a big mini-suite with room for one more!!!

We're doing the Pacific Northwest with the addition of 2 days in San Francisco and a day in Catalina, besides Santa Barbara and San Diego. It's a port intensive cruise, which is perfect because if I don't want to go ashore the ship will be MINE! I love it when everybody leaves and I have it all to myself!

You want to come along? I have a big mini-suite with room for one more!!!

We were thinking of checking it out.

We were thinking of checking it out.

Please, please......I would love it. March 30, 2013 - Sapphire Princess. Everyone needs to go under the Golden Gate Bridge as often as they can. Cindy, we'd have so much fun. We'd have to meet in the chapel and let the boys run around like I did with another passenger who had a Service Dog on my last cruise. It was so much fun to watch the two of them, we could have charged admission to folks who wanted to watch.

We could join the Princess Pop Choir and have so much fun. :)

Goodmorning All. First of all, thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. This has been quite a journey we have been on. 5 weeks post transplant and Rich is making forward progress. The new lungs are working well and he is slowly becoming more medically stable. Next step will be inpatient rehab as he has been so "deconditioned" from a month in the ICU and long time on the ventilater.

The nursing care has been excellent as has the PT/OT/and other therapies. I am with him as much as possible and I promise I am taking care of myself as well.

I so miss Mackey...I have not seen him in one month, but understand he is getting out on outings and home visits with other volunteers.

Please, please......I would love it. March 30, 2013 - Sapphire Princess. Everyone needs to go under the Golden Gate Bridge as often as they can. Cindy, we'd have so much fun. We'd have to meet in the chapel and let the boys run around like I did with another passenger who had a Service Dog on my last cruise. It was so much fun to watch the two of them, we could have charged admission to folks who wanted to watch.

We could join the Princess Pop Choir and have so much fun. :)

The cruise is great. I would love to see all those places. There is only one hp balcony cabin left on the starboard side. The only problem is...the flight. It's like 1400 for us to fly there and thats without my son joining us. Then we would have to stay at a hotel a day before and a day after unless we wanted to take the red eye at 11:20pm. Not good since we will be taking a cruise so close to our Dec one. And John would have to take another week off school. *sigh* :(

Goodmorning All. First of all, thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. This has been quite a journey we have been on. 5 weeks post transplant and Rich is making forward progress. The new lungs are working well and he is slowly becoming more medically stable. Next step will be inpatient rehab as he has been so "deconditioned" from a month in the ICU and long time on the ventilater.

The nursing care has been excellent as has the PT/OT/and other therapies. I am with him as much as possible and I promise I am taking care of myself as well.

I so miss Mackey...I have not seen him in one month, but understand he is getting out on outings and home visits with other volunteers.

Karen, We are thrilled that Rich is doing well and glad you are taking care of yourself!!! You know we will keep praying for Richs recovery. Best to all of you.

Cindy

Sunshine, it's so good to hear from you. I can't believe it's been 5 weeks. I'm sure you've felt every single day of it. Please give Rich my very best regards and wish for continued recovery. His return to the world will seem so strange to him. I pray it goes as easy as it can.....one day at a time!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

The cruise is great. I would love to see all those places. There is only one hp balcony cabin left on the starboard side. The only problem is...the flight. It's like 1400 for us to fly there and thats without my son joining us. Then we would have to stay at a hotel a day before and a day after unless we wanted to take the red eye at 11:20pm. Not good since we will be taking a cruise so close to our Dec one. And John would have to take another week off school. *sigh* :(

It's going to fill-up so fast. I'd love for it to work for you and your family to join us. It's just so much more expensive and complicated when the flights come into the mix.

I was told Cozumel changed what vacinations are required, any one been there with their SD lately? We are traveling on the Oasis of the Seas there soon.

If your Vet is USDA approved he'll be able to get you all the information you need for immunizations anywhere in the world.

I have not been to Cozumel lately. Try calling RCL at 800-521-8611 and ask for their Special Needs Dept. They should be able to tell you what is required for your dog at any given port or tell you who to contact. Your TA could also assist you in doing this.

I hope some of this information helps you. Remember, if any given port gives you a difficult time in entering....that's always a good time to stay onboard and enjoy the comforts that the ship offers or have your dog stay with someone or take turns enjoying this particular port. This is not a common occurence and mostly you'll be able to enjoy every port your ship stops at, with your dog. When it does happen and there's an over zealous Immigration Officer or Port Authority person.....I simply turn around and make other plans onboard the ship [it's important not to buy expensive excursions if you're not sure about any given port and your dog being welcome!]

Remember, the ADA does not apply everywhere in the world!

Well, we're off to San Francisco [actually, Pleasanton, CA.] to see our children and grands, to celebrate all the birthdays and anniversaries, all at once. Brenda and Horton will be going along to enjoy romping with the kids [certainly not to get any sleep!] With all that attention they'll be lucky to get a nap at night.

We've been wanting to take everyone on a cruise but it's never a good time for this or that or some other thing! And, now school has started so we're cooked for this year!

It's my dream to get us all on a cruise and just celebrate together. I see so many other families enjoying each other onboard a cruise and I always promise myself that one day we'll do it too!

I think a Carnival ship would be the best because the kids would have so much more to do and we wouldn't find ourselves hearing......"I'm bored", "what do I do now?" and on and on! Either them or Disney!

I won't be back until next Wednesday......so, unless I write tonight......have a wonderful weekend, I hope everyone's feeling well and keeping busy! :)

Well, we're off to San Francisco [actually, Pleasanton, CA.] to see our children and grands, to celebrate all the birthdays and anniversaries, all at once. Brenda and Horton will be going along to enjoy romping with the kids [certainly not to get any sleep!] With all that attention they'll be lucky to get a nap at night.

We've been wanting to take everyone on a cruise but it's never a good time for this or that or some other thing! And, now school has started so we're cooked for this year!

It's my dream to get us all on a cruise and just celebrate together. I see so many other families enjoying each other onboard a cruise and I always promise myself that one day we'll do it too!

I think a Carnival ship would be the best because the kids would have so much more to do and we wouldn't find ourselves hearing......"I'm bored", "what do I do now?" and on and on! Either them or Disney!

I won't be back until next Wednesday......so, unless I write tonight......have a wonderful weekend, I hope everyone's feeling well and keeping busy! :)

Have a great and safe trip Roz!!!!!