Port or Starboard side?

Can anyone tell me what side of the ship I need to book a balcony cabin, when sailing OUT of Sydney to be able to see the Opera House.

Port Side or Starboard?

We will be sailing at the end of March, Ship is scheduled to sail at 6:30 pm.

Will their still be daylight?

Thanks

Doesn't matter which way the ship docks. On departure, if ship is bow in she will reverse out towards the Harbour Bridge and then proceed forward. If ship is stern in, she will simply proceed forward, either way the Opera House will be on the right (starboard) side.

Daylight Saving in Sydney in March means plenty of sun (if a clear day). Magnificent watching the setting sun framed by Harbour Bridge when departing.

Best spot is on deck.

cheers

Thanks to all for the information

My wife and I are about to book a cabin on Celebrity "Millennium" sailing March 29 out of Sydney heading for Hawaii.

We are booking so far in advance we have a great cabin selection, so we want to ensure to pick a side that may benefit us as we leave Sydney.

Looking at one of the "sweet sixteen" cabins, with the larger balcony.

We are planning on arriving several days early to tour the city.

On our list of things to do, Climb the Bridge and tour the Opera House

Thanks to all for the information

My wife and I are about to book a cabin on Celebrity "Millennium" sailing March 29 out of Sydney heading for Hawaii.

We are booking so far in advance we have a great cabin selection, so we want to ensure to pick a side that may benefit us as we leave Sydney.

Looking at one of the "sweet sixteen" cabins, with the larger balcony.

We are planning on arriving several days early to tour the city.

On our list of things to do, Climb the Bridge and tour the Opera House

Hey, I was a bit confused for a while...thought you were talking about March 2015 ... still a fair time away...but now I see you are talking about March 2016..wow.

29 Mar 2015 only has VOS departing Sydney and Milli is in Asia somewhere.

29 Mar 2016 has got Milli departing Sydney...and from Circular Quay...where the Opera House is.

Enjoy you planning

cheers

Can recommend the Bridge Climb. It isn't too hard and they pace it well.

And yes, no matter which way the ship is berthed or where it's berthed you'll need to be starboard to see the opera house from your balcony.

• 3 months later...

We sailed out of Sydney last October and I just completed the editing of my sail away video on the Celebrity Solstice. The sail away time was about 45 minutes but I turned it into a time-lapse video and it's all of about 11 minutes now. I was on the helipad for the sail away and ended up a little more to the port side than I expected. My video camera was on a Gorillapod tripod and I had my cameras ready to go so I could walk around and take pictures. If you'd like to see it, you can check it out on YouTube here: http://ow.ly/zSH5O or search YouTube for Time-lapse Video of Sail Away Out of Sydney Harbour on Celebrity Solstice - 23 Oct 2013 .

Marian

• 2 weeks later...

Starboard is the correct answer but I don't think it matters. You should be up on deck so you can get a 360 degree view. Backing up towards the Harbour Bridge is pretty special and I wouldn't pick a cabin based on maybe a 15min segment of the cruise.

I hope you enjoy Sydney.

PS Having said I wouldn't pick a side of the ship, I'd better clarify. We have done a Sydney to Hawaii and were starboard. We are doing an Hawaii to Sydney cruise next year and will get a starboard cabin again. Seeing as we will be going the opposite direction this cruise, we don't want to be looking out at the same water we saw when we we went over. ;)

Edited by ozbrian