best itinery for walking ports

electro

I want to do a river cuise for me 50th B'day but I have no interest in bus excursions.

I spoke with some people who did a river cruise and they said that they had to take a bus for all the excursions. they also said that is was not really possible to explore the ports on your own because the ship would move while you were in port and the bus would take you to the new port.:(

What is the best itinerary for being able to do excursions that don't require buses and for being able to walk off the ship and explore on your own.

Thanks

Lois

You should be able to check the detailed daily itinerary on the cruise website to see if the ship is moving while you're at a port.

We're taking a Christmas market river cruise, Nuremberg to Basel, and (at least on paper;)) the ship does not move while we're in port.

I think one or two of the days have bus trips (Rudesheim from Frankfurt is one that is sticking in my mind) but that is still an optional tour - guess you could go to Frankfurt if you want.

only bus was from Paris to port.Some went on own before and took train(an option)but parked in city centers in most of towns and could walk,take a taxi,etc.on own.No need to take any bus tours if you don t want to.It s always up to you,no matter which port.

Agree, look at area that interests you,see the daily itinerary,use a TA that specializes in river cruises for more help.

We often tak e the incl.tour to get to town center(if needed)then tell guide and go off on own,can take taxi back or walk to ship.Many options.;)

I can think of a number of ports where we were taken by bus to the city center: Bamberg, Vienna, Nuremberg, Wurzburg.

Yes, sometimes the boat stops in one place to let you off for sightseeing and then moves to the next stop on the itinerary where you meet the boat. You must read the detailed itineraries to figure this out. It is not a big deal IMO and IME but if this is important to you, read the specific details.

Sometimes the boats also change docking positions in the same port but the CD will advise you prior to debarkation.

Electro: I did the Douro River cruise a few years ago with Uniworld - a beautiful part of the world and I would highly recommend this cruise. However, that trip depended heavily on bus tours therefore not a good one for the person who started the thread.

We just got back from Elbe and I have to admit almost all ports are very good for walking and exploring on your own. Viking now offers an option to choose an included tour and those could be walking only. We did such tours in Dresden, Litomerice, Meissen...

Just returned from Viking's Rhine Getaway. The trip to the Black Forest required a bus ride, and once we arrived, there wasn't too much to see. The ride was really the main attraction. Only a beautiful snowfall made that trip worthwhile. The bus took us into Strasbourg, but once we got to the old city, it was very easy to walk around. We were also delivered by bus into Heidleberg, but the town itself if very walkable. The bus ride to the castle was helpful since the castle sits up high and could be a tough walk I think. Rudesheim did not require bus transportation. You are not locked into a tour just because you take the bus into town. Just let your guide know you are going your own way so they won't be looking for you.

I am also not a fan of large bus tours but I don't mind the convenience of using a bus for transport to a city center. We often book private tours or hire drivers when traveling but most tours are already included with some of the River Cruise companies. Suggest you closely examine the itinerary and select just a few ports where you make your own arrangements to avoid traveling in a large group.

If you go to the Viking site, use the tab called something like "my cruise". They list all the cruises and then a detailed itinerary (both directions). It includes the approximate cost of optional tours as well as the difficulty level of the included tours.