Attire on AMA Waterways?

KikiKruiser

About to sail soon (Amsterdam to Budapest) - what's been everyone's experience regarding attire? I know comfy for touring by day, and they suggest smart casual to dinner (slightly dressier for the Capt. Dinner). Were levis acceptable or did most stick to slacks for dinner? Just curious on your helpful observations-

Just back from our 3rd AMA cruise and as always, jeans at dinner was definitely a small portion of guests.

I wear slacks and top or simple dress, husband nice slacks and collared shirt, button down for the two dressier nights.

Thanks for your replies - we're so accustomed to dressing "up" for dinner on the ocean cruises (not fancy but a little more bling-y and jacket/tie for the hubby) so we're wondering how river cruising compares. Sounds more casual?

Thanks for your replies - we're so accustomed to dressing "up" for dinner on the ocean cruises (not fancy but a little more bling-y and jacket/tie for the hubby) so we're wondering how river cruising compares. Sounds more casual?

Ocean cruising has become pretty casual these days on the main stream lines IMO.

River cruising has a different overall demographic. Most people dress nicely for dinner, but casual. Most men were slacks with golf or other collared shirts, with the occasional sport coat. Ladies will wear nice slacks to dinner. with pretty tops, and you will some sparkle on the 2 dressier nights. No need to pack cocktail, etc. I always bring one dress ( a simple wrap or sweater dress) as I like dresses and I will wear that twice over the week. We cruise in cool weather months and I suspect nice capris would also be worn at dinner in warm weather months.

People dress up more for dinner in the specialty restaurant on AMA, which is a lovely experience.

No need for sport coats for me, unless that is personal preference.

We do tend toward the dressier guests on board but that is just our style.

Edited by caviargal

Just back from AMA Istanbul to Budapest. Dinner dress varied from slacks and collared shirts for men to nice jeans and tops for both. A few sports coats and a few sparkly tops for the Captain's dinner, but most seemed to dress casually. I wore my black cord. jeans or nice dark blue ones. No tank tops, workout wear, ball caps, or sloppy t-shirts, but otherwise, no one seemed to notice or care what others were wearing.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Just got off the AMA Sonata, a brand new ship. Real casual during the days, jeans etc.

Captains Dinner is a little dressier, some people had jackets but most of the time dinners were almost as casual as daytime. NOTE: If by chance you are going to State Opera house in Vienna for an opera (and I highly recommend it if you can) most people are somewhat dressed up (only the Americans were casual). Hope this helps.

Just got off the AMA Sonata, a brand new ship. Real casual during the days, jeans etc.

Captains Dinner is a little dressier, some people had jackets but most of the time dinners were almost as casual as daytime. NOTE: If by chance you are going to State Opera house in Vienna for an opera (and I highly recommend it if you can) most people are somewhat dressed up (only the Americans were casual). Hope this helps.

Would love to know more about how to go to State Opera House invite an. We are taking your cruise in September.

Sitting in the lounge of the Amadagio right now for the pre-dinner briefing. This is our 4th AMA cruise, and they get progressively more casual. Most men in slacks and golf or polo shirts, and women in slacks and casual tops - lots of Capri pants. A very small number - less than half a dozen - are really dressed up.

Did you do the Vienna Opera house through AMA? Did you see a performance? Was it touristy?

Did you do the Vienna Opera house through AMA? Did you see a performance? Was it touristy?

Another related question...what venue does AMA use? I've read that some lines use a venue that isn't all that nice with crowded conditions. Hope AMA isn't one of the them!

I do not believe that AMA utilizes the Opera House for a venue. There are only three events listed on the site for the month of July - 9, 11, 12.

In fact, nost major events in Vienna are suspended for the months of July and August - something I wish I had known when planning.

Our documents list the venue as either the Hofburg Palace or Palais Auersperg (which both look lovely). The musicians are not identified - "local musicians (Vienna Hofburg Orchestra, The Vienna Residence Orchestra or similar)."

It lists the bus ride as one hour, and the duration of the excursion as 3 hr 15 min. It includes a ride through the Ringstrasse at night, which we plan on DIY following dinner, so we can take our time and enoy the lovely illuminated buildings..

I did the Vienna opera excursion with AMA 3 summers ago. It was a made for tourist event, anyone can buy a ticket from the street vendors and 90% of the audience were visitors to the city, if not all. But it was a good performance and the general feeling of passengers on the return bus was that it was an enjoyable evening.