Ultimate Drink Package Thread

Since reading about the drink package I have been very interested in exactly what was included, how this worked, what you could and couldn't get with it. I have an upcoming 9 day cruise (End of May) that I will have the premium package on. I wanted to start this thread now to collect any and all questions people have about the package and will put them all together in one thread so future cruises will have a source for information. If you have any questions about specific brands, drink types, private island usage, etc post them here and I will get the answers to them all. I will also include a full review on how easy or difficult it is to "Break Even" on each day. Start sending me your questions so I can compile a list for my trip. Cheers and Happy cruises everyone!!

Chris

As recently as today in another thread, it was stated that not all individuals over 21 in a cabin had to purchases the package.

This is something that I would love to hear confirmed/clarified as for me it would probably be the dealbreaker if my wife, who is a very moderate wine drinker, was forced to purchase the package.

Also today I read that the dreaded La Terre is no longer the house white and has been replaced by a Robert Mondavi wine. Again confirmation would be appreciated.

Finally, my main drink would be Heineken bottles. A confirmation of the price would enable me to work out how many I would to drink per day to make that package worthwhile.

As recently as today in another thread, it was stated that not all individuals over 21 in a cabin had to purchases the package.

This is something that I would love to hear confirmed/clarified as for me it would probably be the dealbreaker if my wife, who is a very moderate wine drinker, was forced to purchase the package.

Also today I read that the dreaded La Terre is no longer the house white and has been replaced by a Robert Mondavi wine. Again confirmation would be appreciated.

Finally, my main drink would be Heineken bottles. A confirmation of the price would enable me to work out how many I would to drink per day to make that package worthwhile.

Got it Frankmac. I will provide a complete wine list upon return. I think compiling a drink price table will also be something I will try to do. I can absolutely get the cost of a Heineken for you. I also saw that once onboard you can get the package for a single person. I will look into that.

I would like to know the following:

On a Western Med Cruise from/to Barcelona, they add additional 10% tax on every drink you purchase on board. My understanding is, if I buy the premium drink package online, it includes gratuities. What about this tax? They will probably not add it if I buy the package online, right?

I would love to have an answer from someone who did the Western Med on the Liberty from Barcelona.

Confirmed. I called and asked them and was told everyone over 21 must buy the package if 1 person does, also from the website when you go to purchase the package

"† Prices subject to change without notice. Packages include server gratuities, cannot be shared, are not transferable and must be purchased for all guests 21 years old or older sailing in the same stateroom. "

I did ask if someone in the room was pregnant would they have to buy it and was told no, but the package would have to be purchased on the ship. I didn't ask about religious or other reasons to not purchase.

Not sure this is a fair q to ask, but just in case:

We're booked into a RFS, 4 adults and 2 kids. Booked during the promo for the premium drinks package. We were told that only two packages were included in the promo, and that the other two adults won't be compelled to buy it since the first two haven't *technically* purchased the package. Would love confirmation on these points! (Preferred outcome would be that all four adults in the suite got the promo :) ) Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38238423#post38238423

Post no 6 on this thread says that on Allure all persons in the cabin did not have to buy. Maybe it varies from ship to ship.

They did tell me that it was up to the ship on things when I asked if one could get the standard drink package and one get the ultimate or premium. So maybe the ship will allow only 1 person to get the package. I was told if I did it over the phone or online I would have to buy 2 (even if the person was pregnant) as they can only do it that way until you get on the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38238423#post38238423

Post no 6 on this thread says that on Allure all persons in the cabin did not have to buy. Maybe it varies from ship to ship.

That post also says that all 4 people were D+ member. If you are not D+ I would take that with a grain of salt as I doubt RCCL would want to do anything to anger 4 very regular customers. I will see what I can find on this. For my booking it says that the package has to be purchased online and the purchase has to be completed 5 days before sailing, so maybe RCCL changed the rules? I will report back on this.

Chris

That post also says that all 4 people were D+ member. If you are not D+ I would take that with a grain of salt as I doubt RCCL would want to do anything to anger 4 very regular customers. I will see what I can find on this. For my booking it says that the package has to be purchased online and the purchase has to be completed 5 days before sailing, so maybe RCCL changed the rules? I will report back on this.

Chris

Chris, that would be me you are quoting...

Its not about our D+ status trust me and we would have had no cause of action to be angry if they had said no. We would have made our decision and moved on. As I said it is Its about doing it in person on the ship as I explained. I am sure you know by know if you call RCCL, they have a standard script they must adhere to and what limitations they have in place on their pre booking website. Hell many of the RCCL reps have never even cruised before.= and rely on us to bring them up to speed. (try asking them next time)

What happens in Miami Corp office etc has nothing to do with how the how the ship handles each situation. The ship is also responsible for generating their own revenue and they are given some freedom

Many, many folks did what we did, I witnessed it in person and discussed it then subsequently with some key personnnel the on Revenue team. I also discueed it with fellow cruisers at some bars. Will they enforce it on one ship versus another, sure its quiet possible just like the house wine selection is not consistent or beer selection or food.

Bottom line, wait until you board to book and see how it goes.

Good luck

Heineken Regular or light was 5:50 last week before the Std 15% Gratutity.

Some beers come in regular size or 16OZ, Heineken was std. Most beers are included in the package except 2 specifically they exclude Chimay and the Larger Fosters Oil Can which was $8.

Boarding in 2 days. Purchasing the package. We will purchase once onboard since we have some OBC to put toward it. One couple has pre-purchased already.

We'll let you know how it works and answer any questions we can upon our return in 12 days.

I'm on the Allure in July and want a definitive answer to this if you can please:

I love champagne/sparkling white wine. Are these definitely included and available at all bars? I've read conflicting reports.

I'm on the Allure in July and want a definitive answer to this if you can please:

I love champagne/sparkling white wine. Are these definitely included and available at all bars? I've read conflicting reports.

I suspect there are conflicting reports because of ship to ship differences in implementation. If you want to be sure, don't buy the package until you get on board. Once on board, ask the seller of the package your specific questions.

Just off the Brilliance. We both bought the package but twice during our trip we were at the bar (2 different ones) when someone wanted to get the premium package and their spouse doesn't drink. What they were told is that the other must buy "a" package. The choice was either the non premium, soda, or water package. So I suppose it varies by ship (as do a lot of things with RCCL).

I suspect there are conflicting reports because of ship to ship differences in implementation. If you want to be sure, don't buy the package until you get on board. Once on board, ask the seller of the package your specific questions.

I agree. I am confused reading all that. Better stating your own circumstances to guest relations.

I will be on the Explorer, but I will happily get you a list of available champagne/sparkling white wine's and will also attempt to order some at each bar I go to to determine approximate availability. My cruise is the end of May, so check back. :-)

Chris

I will be on the Explorer, but I will happily get you a list of available champagne/sparkling white wine's and will also attempt to order some at each bar I go to to determine approximate availability. My cruise is the end of May, so check back. :-)

Chris

Great! I've already bought the package so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Heineken Regular or light was 5:50 last week before the Std 15% Gratutity.

Some beers come in regular size or 16OZ, Heineken was std. Most beers are included in the package except 2 specifically they exclude Chimay and the Larger Fosters Oil Can which was $8.

Hi again SC. At home Im used to drinking heineken bottles 330ml or heineken pints 500ml. Are thse sizes available and what are the prices?

Hi again SC. At home Im used to drinking heineken bottles 330ml or heineken pints 500ml. Are thse sizes available and what are the prices?

The only Heineken I've seen looks to be 12oz bottles (maybe 330ml?) and the cost is $4.75 plus 15% gratuity. They have Heineken and Heineken Light.

The only Heineken I've seen looks to be 12oz bottles (maybe 330ml?) and the cost is $4.75 plus 15% gratuity. They have Heineken and Heineken Light.

Thanks for clarifying, I realized I posted the price of the larger beers and not Heineken.

Just off Adventure where we had the free premium drinks package included. The choice is excellent in terms of beers and cocktails however the house wine included is a Merlot (red), very nice, a Zinfandel (blush), too sweet for our group and a Chardonney (white), truly awful. It is extremely heavy and overpowering. Since we only drink wine with dinner this is a poor choice by RCI since it dominates. Lots were complaining and when I spoke with the Beverage Manager he confirmed there had been many complaints. There is also a white sparkling wine.

The package is available at all bars and restaurants and there were no issues getting drinks.

The poor white wine option would deter me from purchasing the drinks package on future cruises.

. . . The poor white wine option would deter me from purchasing the drinks package on future cruises.

Several really poor reviews of the 'house wines' is what deterred me from purchasing the package for next weekend's departure as well.