what to bring on a cruise/first time cruiser

hollon

I've been on cruises before and have finally talked my brother/girlfriend to come w/ us. Can you tell me what is a "don't forget" to bring to make a cruise easier, etc. I can remember some things, but some we talk for granted b/c we've cruised before, I want to make their first cruise great :) can we make a list or is there a list somewhere/ Thanks :)

We just went on our first cruise. Besides the obvious (credit card/cash, passport), take a positive attitude and don't sweat the things you have no control over. Be willing to adjust.

Craig

ps Take more cash and less clothes then you had planned on.:)

I've been on cruises before and have finally talked my brother/girlfriend to come w/ us. Can you tell me what is a "don't forget" to bring to make a cruise easier, etc. I can remember some things, but some we talk for granted b/c we've cruised before, I want to make their first cruise great :) can we make a list or is there a list somewhere/ Thanks :)

check RCL website."what to pack".

Some magnets. The walls are metal. We used ours to hang our tickets or passes on, just inside the door. Easy to find. Also kept one on the door for putting messages on outside.

We always bring two different colores of highlighters. One for me and one for my husband to mark what we want to do out of the Compass.

Our TA one time told us to lay everything out on the bed that you planned to take. Then put 1/2 the clothes back into the closet or dresser and take double the money.

One of those pop up mess hampers is an awesome thing to have for dirty clothes. Helps corral them in your cabin or closet and takes up almost no room when you pack it in it's folded down state.

After more than a dozen cruises on Royal, we've ditched bringing most of the items on the lists like bungee cords, over the door hangers, duct tape, etc., but the following always go with us:

(1) Passport (and copy of passport in separate place)

(2) 2 Credit cards (and copies of front and back in separate place). The reason we carry two, is in addition to the one we plan to use, we carry the other one just in case our primary credit card gets lost or stolen. Also call the credit card companies and let them know you where you will be so they don't think the charges are fraudulent.

(3) Cash (with small bills in an envelope for room service and tips to porters, etc).

(4) detailed copy of our itinerary with our cellphone number (last name) and phone number(s) for hotel, ship emergency number in each piece of luggage in case it gets separated from us and they need to locate us.

(5) OTC meds/first aid including cold meds, bandaids, advil/tylenol, pepto, immodium (travel size). Nothing is worse than to need these in the night when the shops are closed and you are sailing to the next port.

(6) We also e-mail ourselves a scanned copy of our passport, cc, DL, hotel, airline and cruise confirmations and emergency numbers, also in case of any of them getting lost or stolen.

(7) Camera

(8) A smile and a little bit of patience.

If you need to be reminded of the obvious stuff(passports, cash, credit card, ect) then there is really no helping you.

All the other gimicky stuff like highliters, bungee cords, door hangers, magnets, ect, you should acquire them as needed.

Don't just run out and get it all at once, just because people tell you too....

Edited by matj2000

check RCL website."what to pack".

Extra eye glasses and small repair kit with tiny screwdriver, screws etc If you can't see to deal with tiny screws(like I am) the people in the jewellery counter will help! I bring a bar of laundry soap(sunlight) and a small bottle of detergent to wash items if I need to.

Cruise with an open mind, and take eacch day as it comes. The important things have already been pointed out like Pass Ports, Drivers License. We take about $500 cash with us. Binoculars, duct tape is good incase there is a mishap with one of the luggage getting a tear.

Packing: keep the shoes to a minimum, ladies pair of heels to go with multiple outfits, tennies, good walking shoes. I take around 6 pair of evening slacks for 2 week cruises and mix/match the blouses. Same for daytime plus shorts.

You're on vacation!!!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

The obvious have mostly been mentioned I would add a spare battery and data card for your camera [and some means to back up your pictures if at all possible]. I also bring a small LED flashlight [some people use the flashlight app on their smart phone - I prefer the dedicated flashlight] They are cheap (I paid $2 for mine), take no room to speak of, and are incredibly handy, not to mention they may be really useful in situations where power is lost [and it can happen].

You might not need these but if you need them and you forget your reading glasses you are going to have a very blurry cruise. It happened to me. :o

A few years back, the same thing happened to me. Fortunately, one of the shops on the ship had reading glasses for sale (had to look very carefully as they were in a small basket on a bottom shelf). A bit pricey ($10), and not a lot of selection but worth it to be able to see!

Water bottle to refill...ship water is good IMO

safety pins...fix lots of stuff from hems to straps

travel clock

OTC meds...pain, cold, allergy...never know what can happen

bandades...hey I have kids but anyone can get blisters

Glasses cleaner...great for ipods, kindles ect

Sunscreen.....bring lots of sunscreen better to bring some home than to bring home a sun burn.

small bills for tips

Great attude....... don't let the small stuff ruin your day.