Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Please pay attention to the date of the post you're disputing. It was made in January, 2007, more than 5 years ago, and long before the rule you're citing was put into effect. The first passport cards were issued in mid 2008.

I wasn't "disputing" anything, but adding new, updated information. I provided it because I came to Cruise Critic looking for the answer. I couldn't find any complete, up to date info on the topic. When I located a definitive answer on the Dept. of State website, I shared it here. I was trying to save others the trouble.

I wasn't "disputing" anything, but adding new, updated information. I provided it because I came to Cruise Critic looking for the answer. I couldn't find any complete, up to date info on the topic. When I located a definitive answer on the Dept. of State website, I shared it here. I was trying to save others the trouble.

So what was the purpose of quoting a post that was over 5 years old if you weren't disputing it?

If you wanted a question answered all you had to do was ask it directly. If you wanted to cite the latest information all you had to do was post it directly.

So what was the purpose of quoting a post that was over 5 years old if you weren't disputing it?

From what I gathered reading her post, the purpose was to provide updated information since as you say the prior post as five years old.

From what I gathered reading her post, the purpose was to provide updated information since as you say the prior post as five years old.

And as I said, if all the intent was to provide updated information they could have just posted it.

The information they posted isn't new anyway...the passport card was put into use in mid 2008...and the information has been posted here innumerable times in innumerable ways since then.

I have no doubt that the poster's intentions were good...but it looks like they had no idea they were quoting a post that was more than 5 years old and made before passport cards existed. If I'm wrong about this I apologize.

Edited by njhorseman

We have a friend who would like to join us on a cruise to the Bahamas later this fall (closed loop). She is not yet a citizen, but will be taking the naturalization oath about two weeks before we are set to sail. So at the time of the cruise, she will be a citizen with her naturalization certificate in hand. It looks like this will not be enough time to obtain a US passport, though she plans to file for one as soon as she takes the oath.

My question is: will the naturalization certificate be enough for her? (We know that it's best if she has a passport with her, but it just doesn't look it will work out in time). We've found conflicting information, with some sites stating ithe certificate will be enough, and others omitting the certificate on the list of acceptable documents.

Thanks in advance and my apolgies if this has recently been asked and answered.

We have a friend who would like to join us on a cruise to the Bahamas later this fall (closed loop). She is not yet a citizen, but will be taking the naturalization oath about two weeks before we are set to sail. So at the time of the cruise, she will be a citizen with her naturalization certificate in hand. It looks like this will not be enough time to obtain a US passport, though she plans to file for one as soon as she takes the oath.

My question is: will the naturalization certificate be enough for her? (We know that it's best if she has a passport with her, but it just doesn't look it will work out in time). We've found conflicting information, with some sites stating ithe certificate will be enough, and others omitting the certificate on the list of acceptable documents.

Thanks in advance and my apolgies if this has recently been asked and answered.

The Certificate of Naturalization is accepted as proof of citizenship for a closed loop cruise. Here is the explanation from the Department of Homeland Security: http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Please make sure your friend brings the original Certificate of Naturalization, as well as a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license.

Edited by njhorseman

I have a passport question but not the typical "is it needed".

I'm wondering if we'll get the passport stamped in each of the countries on the cruise assuming we get off the boat? Mexico, Belize, Honduras (Roatan), Grand Cayman.

If we're going to have a passport, I want it to look well used. :)

Edited by lberbe

I have a passport question but not the typical "is it needed".

I'm wondering if we'll get the passport stamped in each of the countries on the cruise assuming we get off the boat? Mexico, Belize, Honduras (Roatan), Grand Cayman.

If we're going to have a passport, I want it to look well used. :)

No, you won't routinely get your passport stamped in the Caribbean, nor in most other places.

In some ports there may be a nearby customs office that will stamp passports upon request.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I am going to get flamed for asking this question. There is a dispute among family members over whether SIL needs a passport. We are cruising from San Juan on RCI on a Southern Caribbean itinerary and back to San Juan. She is a U.S. citizen. SIL claims she only needs a DL. My DH, her brother, thinks she needs DL and BC (but wants her to get passport). She doesn't want to renew her passport right now (which has expired). What does she need? As an aside, I think she is being ridiculous and should just get her passport rened personally. Thanks.

I know I am going to get flamed for asking this question. There is a dispute among family members over whether SIL needs a passport. We are cruising from San Juan on RCI on a Southern Caribbean itinerary and back to San Juan. She is a U.S. citizen. SIL claims she only needs a DL. My DH, her brother, thinks she needs DL and BC (but wants her to get passport). She doesn't want to renew her passport right now (which has expired). What does she need? As an aside, I think she is being ridiculous and should just get her passport rened personally. Thanks.

At a minimum for a closed loop cruise she needs an official government agency issued birth certificate (a hospital-issued BC is not acceptable) plus her drivers license. She will not be permitted to cruise with just a drivers license.

It would be preferable for her to have a passport, as should she need to take an international airline flight due to an emergency or some unplanned circumstance, a passport would be required.

Edited by njhorseman

One more question...she is adopted. Will she need her adoption papers (legal name thing)? She is 41.

Depending on the state, she may have been issued a new birth certificate upon adoption with the modified information, in which case the answer would be no.

• 1 month later...

I will be cruising with my 2 daughters. I am divorced from their Dad and remarried, so my passport reflects a different last name. They do not have passports. Is there a problem traveling with them having different last names and do I need to have notarized paperwork from their Dad?

Thanks

I will be cruising with my 2 daughters. I am divorced from their Dad and remarried, so my passport reflects a different last name. They do not have passports. Is there a problem traveling with them having different last names and do I need to have notarized paperwork from their Dad?

Thanks

You should have permission from their father. Per Carnival's FAQs:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Andrea, to be safe, you also should bring documentation showing your name change from what it was on their birth certificates to what it is now; probably a copy of your marriage license. It probably will not be needed, especially if the girls are teens, but better to be prepared to show that you are, in fact, their mother.

• 1 month later...

Are you required to have a passport on all cruises with international stops, even if you do NOT get off the ship? I got one answer from Princess and one from my Travel Agent. We are going on a California Coastal cruise in April and my sister can't find her passport. We aren't getting off the ship at the only stop in Mexico so we didn't think it was a problem, but since we've gotten conflicting answers I am nervous!

Are you required to have a passport on all cruises with international stops, even if you do NOT get off the ship? I got one answer from Princess and one from my Travel Agent. We are going on a California Coastal cruise in April and my sister can't find her passport. We aren't getting off the ship at the only stop in Mexico so we didn't think it was a problem, but since we've gotten conflicting answers I am nervous!

She will not be allowed to board the cruise without proper documentation, regardless of whether she intends to get off in port or not.

If it's a closed loop cruise (one that starts and ends in the same US port) and your sister is a US Citizen who was born in the US, she can cruise using an official government agency issued birth certificate ( a hospital certificate isn't sufficient) and a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license. If your sister is a naturalized US citizen she needs her Certificate of Naturalization (instead of the birth certificate) and the photo ID.

If it's not a closed loop cruise, her birth certificate will not suffice. She will need a passport.

I'm curious who told you which version of the requirements. I'm hoping the explanation from Princess was the same as I outlined...but sometimes telephone customer service agents are clueless.

The major drawback to using a birth certificate is she would not be able to fly back from a foreign country (such as Mexico) if she had to in an emergency without a passport.

Edited by njhorseman

The Princess phone rep told me my sister would be fine with a BC and ID as long as she didn't get off the ship in Mexico, my TA was correct when she told me the same that you told me.

Thank you for your answer, now I need to nag my sister!

The Princess phone rep told me my sister would be fine with a BC and ID as long as she didn't get off the ship in Mexico, my TA was correct when she told me the same that you told me.

Thank you for your answer, now I need to nag my sister!

With the BC and ID she can get off the ship in Mexico. By the way...she has more than enough time to apply for a new passport, if she wishes.

Just to restate what has been said in several other ways but perhaps not too clearly:

Whether you plan to leave the ship or stay on the ship has no bearing on the requirements for your travel documents.

All the officials that you will encounter in the process will assume that you are going to get off the ship. There are no provisions for either telling them that you don't plan to get off the ship, nor for verifying that you do not actually get off the ship once you are in port. They certainly aren't going to come and lock you up to ensure you comply with your stated plans.

Anyone who advises you that the documentation requirements are different depending on your stated plans to leave the ship or not... should be looking for a new job.

Theron

it was probably clear but I am new and I guess just confused in general. I understand now that regardless of whether or not we get off the boat, that has no bearing on the passport requirements.

I just want to make sure: if she has those two documents (her US birth certificate and a US Drivers license) she can board the ship without any problems, correct? She is looking for her passport but we are only 3 months away so if she needs to get a new one we need to know soon which is why I am asking now.

Thanks again!

it was probably clear but I am new and I guess just confused in general. I understand now that regardless of whether or not we get off the boat, that has no bearing on the passport requirements.

I just want to make sure: if she has those two documents (her US birth certificate and a US Drivers license) she can board the ship without any problems, correct? She is looking for her passport but we are only 3 months away so if she needs to get a new one we need to know soon which is why I am asking now.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure why the other poster thinks my reply wasn't clear...the first sentence of my original reply was..."She will not be allowed to board the cruise without proper documentation, regardless of whether she intends to get off in port or not."

Yes, she can board the ship with her US birth certificate (An official government-issued BC...NOT one issued by a hospital) and her drivers license. This is perfectly acceptable documentation for a closed loop cruise...and she will be able to go ashore in Mexico if she wishes.

The only danger of traveling with a BC and drivers license as opposed to a passport is that the BC & license can't be used to take an international airline flight in the event of an emergency or unforeseen circumstance requiring your sister to fly back to the US from Mexico.

You can verify what I've said by going to the Princess web site, and reading their FAQ on this topic. Check the Travel Documents Requirements section of http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp , and in particular you'll find this section:

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)

Canada/New England roundtrip from New York

Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, New York or San Juan

Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles and San Francisco

Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

I'm not sure why the other poster thinks my reply wasn't clear...

Subtle.

Please read my post again:

"Just to restate what has been said in several other ways but perhaps not too clearly..."

I did not say your post was not clear. It was the several posts together, some of which were more clear than others, and some which were not, which led me to see a benefit in restating it once again.

Theron