Thanksgiving cruises

RSLeesburg

We booked an 8 day cruise on Grandeur over Thanksgiving holidays for next year, and I was wondering if this will be as crazy as a Christmas cruise? We will be traveling with our son, so I expect other kids but not sure I want to travel with hundreds of kids on board. We only had maybe 40 kids on our last cruise. A few more would nice - more new friends for our son, but do not want to get overrun with them...lol

Just curious as to what I should expect. It is a longer cruise (starts the Friday before and ends the Saturday following). Anyone cruised over these times?

You can realistically expect 15-25% of the passengers to be children on a cruise like this over a holiday period. For some these school breaks are the only time they can holiday as a family. While I have raised two children who have cruised we now shy away from holiday periods for this reason. Any issues that you have will not for the most part be the fault of the children on the ship but rather the lack of supervision afforded by their respective parents.

I am not so much worried about any issues with kids, I am more thinking of the ship - the splash pool is not that huge, and the kids club is fairly small, so just wondering how our son would enjoy it if they are super crowded. He got spoiled his first cruise - there were maybe 5 or 6 kids in pool or kids club. I think if this number doubled, it would be fine, but if there number went up ten times or so, it might be too crowded. And if he isn't having fun, mom and dad aren't having fun...lol. Maybe it's all relative. 25 percent would be about 500 kids, and I just don't see Grandeur managing that many in the clubs. Then again, there are four port days, so maybe with excursions and such, it will only be crowded periodically. My wife thinks we should just bite the bullet and get used to crowds, as once he starts school, we will be somewhat forced to travel during peak times. Me, I am always looking for another option :D. Next year he does not start pre-k until September, so we could travel in May or early June, and avoid some of the peak travel - but, at the moment, we have 8 day in a suite, and everything I am finding in those time frames are more expensive for less days, and in some cases, I would need to add airfare on top. I am really not into paying more for less...lol. But I will keep looking! Once the Grandeur gets back this year, hopefully some people will post and I can get a better idea of how things went.

We have cruised a number of times over Thanksgiving on HAL ships and loved it. We did not travel with children but fully enjoyed seeing the generations of families all sailing together. It was not uncommon to see four generations at Thanksgiving Table and it was a pleasure. :) The Club HAL staff kept the children busy and happy and it wasn't until Thanksgiving Dinner that we even realized just how many children were aboard.

We'd sail again without hesitation on Thanksgiving cruises. :)