solo on royal caribbean

eightofninekev

I am thinking of going on a cruise with royal caribbean .What are they like for solos? can anyone give me information on what kind of things they do ?

Hi,

I've gone solo twice on RC and have another planned in April, 2012. I enjoyed both, but have nothing to compare it to.:cool:

Each night, a publication arrives in room, listing all activities for the next day. On the first night, they had a "singles" get together in a bar, which I never attended. On Voyager of the sea ( a 7-day and 15-dayTA) there were outstanding events to choose from, from lectures, classes like language, craft, dance, exercise, sports teams, etc. The evening shows for the most part are excellent, as are the Ice skating shows. If you research ship you'd be on, you can see if their offerings interest you. I always met people easily, played trivia games at the bar, pool fun, etc. The service was awesome on all levels!

Enjoy! You will love it.

Charlotte

Hi,

I've gone solo twice on RC and have another planned in April, 2012. I enjoyed both, but have nothing to compare it to.:cool:

Each night, a publication arrives in room, listing all activities for the next day. On the first night, they had a "singles" get together in a bar, which I never attended.... I always met people easily, played trivia games at the bar, pool fun, etc. The service was awesome on all levels!

Enjoy! You will love it.

Charlotte

Hello Charlotte,

Can you tell me the reason why you didn't attend the singles get together on first night? I'm going on a solo soon and think it's a great idea. I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Lisa

I've sailed solo 4-5 times on RCI. One was a 15 night cruise. I didn't attend the singles event either. I'm not a single...I'm a solo. I'm not looking for a man...been there, done that. I loved the trivia sessions. I met a lot of nifty people during trivia. My best recommendation is to become very active in your cruise's specific Cruise Critic board. There I met people, arranged to go on excursions and made plans to do things with my cruise mates. Then attend your Meet & Greet. I had a ball! I would cruise solo all the time if I could only afford it. I also pick to sit at the biggest of tables in the dining room. If you have any solo questions, please feel free to ask them.

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

I went on my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. Not only was it my first cruise, but I went solo. I had a great time and want to go again soon! I found chatting with people was not very hard to do as everyone is so friendly (probably because they're on a cruise) and even though I tend to be a bit shy. I shared a dinner table with another solo cruiser and two college girls who were graduating in a few months. We all went on separate excursions and had a great time telling te others what we did. I also didn't mind sharing a table at the buffet breakfast with someone I hadn't met before because I met so many people from different walks of life and enjoyed speaking with them. I would say, just be yourself and chat with people who may be waiting in line, or sitting in the next chair on deck. I actually got into a very nice conversation with a group of 10 people waiting for dinner one night, and kept running into one or another of them during the cruise. Don't hesitate to go as a single/solo cruiser. You'll have loads of fun.

Seven of my eight cruises with RCCL were solo trips for me, as are all three I have on tap for 2012. Obviously, I enjoy it a lot!

With the exception of dancing and formal portraits, I do everything that everyone else does, from bingo and shows to bars, great dinners, poolside contests and funny photos at the port stops, etc. Some people don't do "alone" very well, but I do. I can strike up a conversation with a stranger very easily, so I never felt lonely.

I don't go to events arranged for "singles" as I am not looking to give anyone the impression that I am looking for a "cruise buddy" or a date. Some people are less inclined to spend time by themselves, so they tend to get clingy to other solo travelers they think are equally ill at ease on their own. Made that mistake once! It was like having a second shadow! No thanks.

Edited by JaxieWaxie

I've gone solo on all my cruises although I did have friends with me on my first Freedom of the Seas cruise. I did have my own cabin though. I have no problem attempting to meet new people while on board. I found that a good way to have interaction with others is to get involved with your sailings roll call. I have enjoyed each cruise I have been on even going solo. Royal Caribbean offers many things to do form nothing at all on a deck chair to tackling the Flowrider.

Hello Charlotte,

Can you tell me the reason why you didn't attend the singles get together on first night? I'm going on a solo soon and think it's a great idea. I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

As I remember, I was either at a show during the time for the singles meet, or doing something else. It just wasn't a priority on either cruise, because I'd met alot of people already while checking in or at the buffet that afternoon.

Charlotte

I am thinking of going on a cruise with royal caribbean .What are they like for solos? can anyone give me information on what kind of things they do ?

I've become loyal to Royal Caribbean because they have great solo rates on many sailings, many are WAY less than 200% of the single fare.

I've gone solo a couple times on RCL...and anytime I have gone to their "singles" meet the 1st night there has never been anyone there...no staff..no organazation..zip..so now I skip that & just get involved in my roll call...I also like the triva games...and find it just seems easy to chat with new people on a cruise...everyone is there to have a good time!:)

Hello Charlotte,

Thanks,

Lisa

I've also done two RCCL solo cruises, and not attended what they've called a "singles" get together. I guess it's my distinction between solo and single. Technically, I'm both, but I don't want it to seem like I'm there to meet someone "special", if that makes sense.

I also wanted to add that on both my solo cruises, I noticed that on each sea day, there was a lunch planned for solo cruisers. You meet in a particular spot, along with one of the activities staff and they'll usually come eat with the group of you. There have only been about 5-10 people at the ones I've gone to, but once, unfortunately I was the only one who showed up.

I met a lot of nifty people during trivia. My best recommendation is to become very active in your cruise's specific Cruise Critic board.

I'll also second meeting people at trivia. It's a great place to meet others. And hopefully your roll call here on cruise critic will be busy (on my first solo cruise, the roll call was pretty dead). I also met some great people on an excursion I did - this was not a ship excursion, this was through a smaller company, so the group was very small and much easier to chat with the others, I thought (there were 5 of us on one particular one I'm thinking of and the people were great. Whenever I saw them afterwards on the ship, they always invited me to come sit with them.

MSC is having President's Day Sale until Monday. Just booked balcony cabin $1028.19 solo. Am Doing b2b for $2056.38 in balcony for solo. Their

new ship Divinia, in addition to sailings on Fantasia and Splendida are also

included.

Good Sailing :cool::)

On Navigator last year the only 'singles' events were on the first day. I was so busy I never got to any of them! I would have liked to have gone just to see what was on offer. As someone said earlier I am a solo more than a single.... I'm not discounting a romantic encounter but it's not what I'm actively looking for. Love the trivia events and had fun with the roll call, so much so there is a bunch of us cruising together this year.

Hi,

Each night, a publication arrives in room, listing all activities for the next day. On the first night, they had a "singles" get together in a bar, which I never attended. On Voyager of the sea ( a 7-day and 15-dayTA) there were outstanding events to choose from, from lectures, classes like language, craft, dance, exercise, sports teams, etc. The evening shows for the most part are excellent, as are the Ice skating shows. If you research ship you'd be on, you can see if their offerings interest you. I always met people easily, played trivia games at the bar, pool fun, etc. The service was awesome on all levels!

Enjoy! You will love it.

Charlotte

Charlotte, is that you, my tablemate from the Voyager last May? I almost emailed you to see if you wanted to room with me on the Voyager this April on the Ta, then on to Dubai. I see you are taking another cruise, just not the same one as me, lol

Just got back from travelling on the Radiance (14 day Aus/NZ) as a solo.

I met a large group of people through the CruiseCritic rollcall, went on a tour with some of them and got a good rate at a pre-cruise hotel (though a missed flight connection meant I only got to spend 3 hours in said hotel room! Long story...) with them. Also got invited to join in with various group activities throughout the cruise.

Didn't attend the initial "singles" get together (I think it conflicted with something else I was doing), but did attend the "singles" lunch on the first sea day. I think "singles" is a bit of a misnomer - there was no matching going on - just a friendly get together which meant you had more people to say "hi" to, as the cruise progressed.

My recommendation - definitely sign on to the rollcall, go and check out any "singles" or solo get together listed in the Compass (you can always leave if you feel uncomfortable). Attend the trivia games - there's always room for one more in a trivia team, and you might win something (managed to win a T-shirt and a cruise wallet)! Go for breakfast/lunch at the main dining room and just chat to the other people at the table - you'll meet people from all over the world!

(My only small negative on being solo was the speciality dining - I loved all the different restaurants, but sometimes eating solo felt a little awkward (and I always seem to eat too fast when by myself, even with my Kindle to keep me company!). Would be good if RC had some way of getting groups of solo's together for the specialty restaurants.... )

Edited by westcoasttech

(My only small negative on being solo was the speciality dining - I loved all the different restaurants, but sometimes eating solo felt a little awkward (and I always seem to eat too fast when by myself, even with my Kindle to keep me company!). Would be good if RC had some way of getting groups of solo's together for the specialty restaurants.... )

Oh no! After the first bit there, I was about to suggest bringing a book with you, but I guess you already do!

As a solo, I pretty much always bring my book with me, unless I know I'm meeting someone, or am likely to meet someone depending what I'm doing. For instance, my book comes with me to the shows, as I tend to get there early and I don't have anyone to talk to while I wait for it to start. For trivia, my book doesn't need to come with me. Eating alone, it does; eating with my regular table (I always do traditional dining... except on NCL, where it's not an option), or even just in the dining room at breakfast or lunch, when I'll be seated with people, of course, I don't.

Charlotte, is that you, my tablemate from the Voyager last May? I almost emailed you to see if you wanted to room with me on the Voyager this April on the Ta, then on to Dubai. I see you are taking another cruise, just not the same one as me, lol

Hey barbyj,

I see that we are on the same itinerary. See you onboard.

I did a TA solo on the Navigator a few years back and it was fine. I would agree with the other posters, join the roll call, and partake in the trivia and other events aboard ship to meet others. I enjoyed the trip. I would go with the traditional dining as it will give you some people to connect with aboard the ship. Sometimes you end up at a table that is not the most enjoyable but other times you end up with a great table. Our table connected very well and we participated in the trivia as a team and we were a very diverse group. Two of us were solo's, one couple was an older couple from the UK and another couple was from Alaska. I did not attend any of the single functions aboard the ship because as others stated, either no one was there at them or had other conflicts, Happy sailing and I hope you have a great trip.

My last cruise was solo on the Explorer and I had a great time; it was my 2nd solo cruise and although I did get lonely at times because it was 9 nights (plus 2 nights pre cruise in New Jersey), I'm so glad I opted to go by myself.

I joined my Roll Call early and I'm glad I did; met great people from there and even joined an excursion with a few of them; I also loved having my own room and being able to do my own thing and not have to worry about anyone else. I was at a 8 top table and after the first night, I was highly questioning who made the seating arrangements, but it got better and now I miss my table companions. We had quite a few singles' events that were planned in the cruise compass, but I didn't attend any of them; just wasn't that interested to do so.

I recommend trying it; I'm already looking into my 3rd solo cruise for April 2013 and I can't wait to start all the planning all over again.

• 2 months later...
Just got back from travelling on the Radiance (14 day Aus/NZ) as a solo.

My recommendation - definitely sign on to the rollcall, go and check out any "singles" or solo get together listed in the Compass (you can always leave if you feel uncomfortable). Attend the trivia games - there's always room for one more in a trivia team, and you might win something (managed to win a T-shirt and a cruise wallet)! Go for breakfast/lunch at the main dining room and just chat to the other people at the table - you'll meet people from all over the world!

You could be my twin. I have just booked this for 2013. Solo. I can't actually believe I have done it. I am married but hubby isn't into cruising. I am really looking forward to doing this cruise where I can make my own decisions about what I want to do. Nap. Have a snack at midnight. Play bingo. Trivia. I have just been on QM2 for four nights with my mother and this opened my mind to possibilities. I have no desire to travel with mum again, it was nice but enough, but now I know I can do it on my own. I am doing mtd but will ask for a larger table. Or take my kindle!

Edited by Pushka