Tipping on ships based in Australia?

Wow, conspiracy much? As I said in my original post, I took a gap year (long service leave) and worked on the ship.

I had set the you tube videos to private because as you can see, people delve a little too deeply into your personal life. I have now allowed the ship video to be public, but as Thied so nicely pointed out, yes I have another job as seen on my Millionaire Hotseat video which is private.

Thanks guys, I learnt a valuable lesson here, I shared far too much information.

Sadly there will always be someone who just find joy in attempting to discredit true information posted by people who know what they are talking about. I read your posts and at no time did i think you were making up what you said...the same cannot be said for some of the other posters' posts :cool:

I found what you said interesting and i hope the few negative posts dont stop you from sharing information in the future. :)

I had set the you tube videos to private because as you can see, people delve a little too deeply into your personal life.

Sorry that you had to find out that way, here. Unfortunately, it's not the first time a certain poster has acted that way.

If anyone is confused by this thread, someone has deleted some posts that weren't in the spirit of what cruise critic stands for. Good to see CC is well moderated. Keep up the good work.:)

I didn't realize they had done that, well good for the moderator. I hope now you will keep in touch with all the nice people that use this site.

Math and spelling are not your strong suit...

From your post:

Salary is approximately $2,000-$2,500 US per month with all expenses paid for including food and accommodation.

Salary is paid fortnightly and is $800 (USD) basic plus tips.

Basic salary = $800 x 2 = $1600 per month PLUS tips

Advertised approx. salary = $2000-$2500

Therefore using the wizardry of mathematics

Tips per month are approx. $400 - $900

Given that the same job advertisement stated 4 months on 2 months off

Annual Salary without tips = $12,800 (8 x $1600)

With tips = $16,000 - $20,000

Hmmm me thinks Australian Jobs are pretty safe and these guys are giving you a very inexpensive vacation.

If anyone is confused by this thread, someone has deleted some posts that weren't in the spirit of what cruise critic stands for. Good to see CC is well moderated. Keep up the good work.:)

We are used to disjointed threads for exactly that reason. Sorry you, like many of us here, have been hurt in this way. It is sad really. I have just read this thread and was very interested in what you had to say and have no reason to doubt anything - just glad to hear a first hand account.

Thank you!

• 8 months later...

Hi all

we are going on a cruise in a couple of months for twenty five days. It is our longest cruise. Can anyone tell me what it's like to travel for that length of time please? I've been told it's too long and that I will get bored, what do you think.

Gwen

Hi all

we are going on a cruise in a couple of months for twenty five days. It is our longest cruise. Can anyone tell me what it's like to travel for that length of time please? I've been told it's too long and that I will get bored, what do you think.

Gwen

It will be lovely....there is always plenty to do onboard. The longest I have cruised is 42 nights and I would have been happy to stay on...next month I have the whole of March at sea including lots of sea days and I cant wait.

Obviously whoever told you that was not a cruiser. Relax I am sure you will love it.

Sue

if we Australians who wish to sub over sea's low wages good on you, but just think you are subing lower wages that take jobs off Australians.

No Australian would work for those wages, so you are not robbing any Aussies of work.

The workers on cruise ships are the hardest working people I know, they are mainly employed from low social economic countries, they work long hours with a constant smile on their faces, they spend many months away from their families, just so their families and extended families can have a better life, they deserve every dollar and more, I hate the ugly Australian attitude to tipping, these ships may be cruising in our waters but they are US based ships and subject to tipping.

Those so called low wages keep the cruise prices down and enables many people like yourself to cruise at a reasonable cost.

A lot of you have said this very well... these people leave their families for months/ years at a time so they may have a better life, we had a waiter on one ship who was so proud to be almost at his goal of paying for medical school.

Yes, the cruise lines take advantage and let the passenger pick up a portion of what would be acceptable wages...but it is what is it. We are happy to provide gratuities to these hard working people... a cruise such as a b2b in Austalia/New Zealand is an affordable vacation for us ...the tips are a part of our budget.

Do Australians not read ? Every piece of cruise line information provides

tipping policies...if you don't like it ...don't go.

Had to be said..happy sailing to those of us that don't plan on complaining , that consider ourselves lucky to be on the ship

Hi all

Gwen

Gwen

All anybody can really say is : "maybe you will and maybe you won't!!" How can anybody here know an answer to your question. They can also say how THEY feel on long cruises -- I didn't use to get bored on long cruises with many sea days -- but now I do.

Barry

Absolutely right Barry as always you are absolutely right. However the first thing non cruisers say to anyone booking a cruise is, "oh you will be bored and seasick". I believe if you get onboard in the right frame of mind to have a great cruise then you will irrespective of the length of the cruise 3 days or 30. Enjoy.

Sue

Hi all

Gwen

The other things are that it depends on your own individual preferences, and the itinerary of the cruise. There are 25 day cruises with many ports, and then there are some with only a few. Ones with many ports will offer a lot of activity, which suits some people and not others, and ones with few will be more repetitive, although still with many activities/entertainment, which again suits some and not others. And then there's the ship itself with some having more external entertainment than others, which again suits some more and less others.

Any cruise over 14 days has the potential to be a floating RSL. A higher quality ship can at least deter the octagenarians on oxygen. Bar staff on P&O / Princess et al hate cruises from Is over 2 weeks, they know their wages will be minimal ( all drinks include 15% gratuity). My folks did the 42 night Cherry Blossom cruise a few years back (they were in their early 70s) and were amongst the younger crowd.

Any cruise over 14 days has the potential to be a floating RSL. A higher quality ship can at least deter the octagenarians on oxygen. Bar staff on P&O / Princess et al hate cruises from Is over 2 weeks, they know their wages will be minimal ( all drinks include 15% gratuity). My folks did the 42 night Cherry Blossom cruise a few years back (they were in their early 70s) and were amongst the younger crowd.

Oh I don't know . We had an 83YO man and 86YO woman onboard our 6 week cruise to UK on P&O Oriana 2 years ago . They even shared the same cabin - but were at pains of ensuring everybody that there was no "hanky panky" going on. Anyway, their combined bar bill for the 42 days was 4000 UKP (that was around $7000 then) . They also cruised back with us (6 weeks) and since then I believe have done around 100 more days at sea. Nobody onboard could keep up with them!! :D

Barry

What a load of bs. We have done the Cherry Blossom cruise and we're nowhere near 70. There were a lot of younger people on that cruise. What a generalisation. Where is your proof that bar staff on P&O & Princess hate cruises from Oz over two weeks? It has not been my experience (in over 25 cruises). We always enjoy the company of older Australians when we meet them - they really know how to enjoy themselves.

What a load of bs. We have done the Cherry Blossom cruise and we're nowhere near 70. There were a lot of younger people on that cruise. What a generalisation. Where is your proof that bar staff on P&O & Princess hate cruises from Oz over two weeks? It has not been my experience (in over 25 cruises). We always enjoy the company of older Australians when we meet them - they really know how to enjoy themselves.

Throw your line in, the fish are biting!

:p

Yes I know it is a generalisation but bar staff have told me on p&o and rci personally that their daily income reduces on longer cruises. I would imagine that pensioner Westies would tuck it away though. (:eek:)

:D I think it is both fair and accurate to generalise that the longer the cruise, the older the average age of passengers onboard. And I think it is also fair to say that in general older people drink less than younger people. But there are always exceptions to a generality - and my 2 oldies that I quoted above were more from the western suburbs of Perth (think BIG money) than the western suburbs of either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. :D

Barry

Hi all

Gwen

If you do get bored it will be your fault. We like the long cruises.... we did 33 nights last May on the Ruby Princess and are off again next month for 38 nights on the Diamond. We never get bored, there is so much to do and look forward to the sea days to sleep in, play games, get to know new friends better etc. Short cruises are too short, you no sooner get on and you have to get off. They are good for filling in in between longer cruises though. :D

I started reading this last night. Having never cruised but my mum who is a big cruiser has said lots about tipping.

Having never worked on a cruise liner I have no idea on conditions or wages only of what people claim.

I worked out for our up coming 7 night cruise with a family of 8, but only 3 of us over the age of 13 for tipping requirements on auto tipping lol is $180.00. ($7.50 x 3ppl x 8 days if that is correct) If I had to pay that for all of us I would either drop the price or only do it for my husband and myself. ($7.70 x 8ppl x 8 days $450.00) now that's a lot of shopping money lol.

That lesser amount is certainly affordable even for my husband and I and our 6 kids. And we are only average Aussie earners with a mortgage. I'd be inclined to also tip those I feel have made my families trip that extra special.

Regardless of cruise liner workes wages, home conditions, work conditions, no one should feel pressured or bullied into tipping. Everyone has their own personal reason why they do or don't tip, and should not be frowned upon either

way.

Thank you everyone for you comments was a good interesting read :)

hello everyone newbie cruiser here, we are going on solstice in 2014 and ARE leaving the auto tips in place, however if we get a fabulous cabin steward, waiter, barman etc at the end of the cruise can we give them extra and if we did are they liable to give that extra to the head of department or can they keep it all. FYI aussie here !!!:);)