Sydney Airport to Downtown and Cruise port

TERRIER1

Any information would be greatly appreciated on the following questions.

How do you get from the siport to the downtown area? Is there public transportation? How much does it cost?

Any reasonable hotel suggestions?

How do you get to the cruise port? Is there public transportation?

Thanks.

If your ship leaves from the Overseas Passenger terminal at Circular Quay, you can catch a train from the airport to Central station for about $15, then a City Circle train right to Circular Quay. A taxi from the airport to the ship can cost between $50 & $70 depending on the traffic.

Some cruiselines have shuttle buses organised from the airport for about $25pp, so enquire about that.

If your ship leaves from the Overseas Passenger terminal you can catch a train from the Airport International Terminal right to Circular Quay station then it is a short walk at ground level .

If you ship leaves from the White Bay cruise terminal take the same train from the International Terminal at the Airport but alight at SYDNEY CENTRAL station and take a taxi to the White Bay cruise terminal .

Returning the Airport alight only at Airport International for International departures . (Do not alight at Mascot or airport domestic stations.)

Thank you. According to the 2015 port schedule we are at White Bay. We would like to arrive several days ahead to get rid of jet lag and see the city. When I look at a tripadvisor map there are no hotels near White Bay. Should we stay by the pier or at Circular Quay? Thanks.

Thank you. According to the 2015 port schedule we are at White Bay. We would like to arrive several days ahead to get rid of jet lag and see the city. When I look at a tripadvisor map there are no hotels near White Bay. Should we stay by the pier or at Circular Quay? Thanks.

Hi. I have just booked a 4 night stay in Sydney for next May at the Travelodge Wynyard. This is right in the heart of Sydney and very, very close to a CBD train station. I chose the Travelodge because it is only a 5-10 minute walk of Circular Quay, Opera House, main shopping malls, Hyde Park, etc.

And the best bit is.... normally one night is about $180-$200 but because I have booked 6+ months in advance the room rate comes down to $119.00 per night. I have paid an extra $12 a night to get a room up high to get a view. This price is almost unheard of in the centre of Sydney. I am still pinching myself because I can't believe my luck.

Check out their website http://www.travelodge.com.au/travelodge-wynyard-sydney-hotel/hotel-features

Suggest you book at Metro Hotel on Pitt Street in the heart of the City. Book direct via their website . In that case take the train from AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL and alight at TOWN HALL station . When you come up to ground ask the locals for directions to Pitt Street and the Metro Hotel is a short walk from Town Hall station . To get from this Hotel to White Bay Cruise Terminal it is a 15 minute trip by taxi .

If you stay at Circular Quay you will be on the harbour but well removed from all the action up town .

Edited by kuldalai

We will be sailing into Sydney in Sept 2014. Where can I find out where we will dock. Need suggestions on where to stay for 2-3 nights and what to do. Many thanks.

Hi. I have just booked a 4 night stay in Sydney for next May at the Travelodge Wynyard. This is right in the heart of Sydney and very' date=' very close to a CBD train station. I chose the Travelodge because it is only a 5-10 minute walk of Circular Quay, Opera House, main shopping malls, Hyde Park, etc.

And the best bit is.... normally one night is about $180-$200 but because I have booked 6+ months in advance the room rate comes down to $119.00 per night. I have paid an extra $12 a night to get a room up high to get a view. This price is almost unheard of in the centre of Sydney. I am still pinching myself because I can't believe my luck.

Check out their website http://www.travelodge.com.au/travelodge-wynyard-sydney-hotel/hotel-features[/quote']

That's a fantastic price because we stay in Sydney for 2nts pre cruise and 2nts after cruise in sebel pier one and its costing $1600 for the four nts

We could have got a cheaper hotel but certainly not as cheap as you booked that one....

What a bargain

Could have done with you as our travel agent before we booked our holiday lol

:). :). :)

That's a fantastic price because we stay in Sydney for 2nts pre cruise and 2nts after cruise in sebel pier one and its costing $1600 for the four nts

We could have got a cheaper hotel but certainly not as cheap as you booked that one....

What a bargain

Could have done with you as our travel agent before we booked our holiday lol

:). :). :)

I think it all comes down to priority really. We intend to be out and about during most of the day and will only come back to the hotel late arvo/evening. Therefore, we don't really need 5* but do expect something clean, comfortable but above all it must be in the centre of the city, which the Travelodge is. We didn't want to catch taxis, particularly in Sydney's traffic congestion and don't mind walking to the various sites we want to visit. Also, we intend to do a full day trip to the Blue Mountains and the train station is virtually a few minutes away, so very convenient for that excursion.

However, as Sydney / Harbour is my old home town I have seen it and been on it countless times. But if I was coming from overseas I can certainly understand why the priority is to be as close to the harbour as possible and also to have a view of the wonderful vista from my hotel window. It is possibly your first and last visit to Sydney so definitely make it as memorable as possible. The only drawback is that hotels with harbour views are very expensive but what price do you put on a once-in-a-lifetime unforgettable memory.

Got to admit, every time I visit Sydney and its wonderful harbour it still takes my breath away, particularly on a beautiful sunny day......... nothing beats it.

I think it all comes down to priority really. We intend to be out and about during most of the day and will only come back to the hotel late arvo/evening. Therefore' date=' we don't really need 5* but do expect something clean, comfortable but above all it must be in the centre of the city, which the Travelodge is. We didn't want to catch taxis, particularly in Sydney's traffic congestion and don't mind walking to the various sites we want to visit. Also, we intend to do a full day trip to the Blue Mountains and the train station is virtually a few minutes away, so very convenient for that excursion.

However, as Sydney / Harbour is my old home town I have seen it and been on it countless times. But if I was coming from overseas I can certainly understand why the priority is to be as close to the harbour as possible and also to have a view of the wonderful vista from my hotel window. It is possibly your first and last visit to Sydney so definitely make it as memorable as possible.

The only drawback is that hotels with harbour views are very expensive but what price do you put on a once-in-a-lifetime unforgettable memory.

Got to admit, every time I visit Sydney and its wonderful harbour it still takes my breath away, particularly on a beautiful sunny day......... nothing beats it.[/quote']

I think that was our logic when we booked to be honest because as you say we probably won't ever go to Australia again

We fly over for a month in total from the uk on November 6th and have stretched ourselves financially by booking hotels that to be honest we wouldn't normally spend so much money on but in the end like i say we might never go back, our cruise takes us up the Gold Coast from Sydney for 10nts and back to Sydney, from which we head up to airlie beach in the Whitsundays,

It's not only our first visit to oz but its our first ever cruise and so hopefully we will enjoy cruising even though we aren't too sure what to expect....

Can't wait to visit Australia and although slightly apprehensive about our trip and been so far away from home we also are so excited and are counting the days :)

I think that was our logic when we booked to be honest because as you say we probably won't ever go to Australia again

We fly over for a month in total from the uk on November 6th and have stretched ourselves financially by booking hotels that to be honest we wouldn't normally spend so much money on but in the end like i say we might never go back, our cruise takes us up the Gold Coast from Sydney for 10nts and back to Sydney, from which we head up to airlie beach in the Whitsundays,

It's not only our first visit to oz but its our first ever cruise and so hopefully we will enjoy cruising even though we aren't too sure what to expect....

Can't wait to visit Australia and although slightly apprehensive about our trip and been so far away from home we also are so excited and are counting the days :)

Is it this November you are coming to Australia (you are counting the days, not months!). We are also cruising out of Sydney on Celebrity Solstice which is a 12 day Australia to NZ cruise, leaving Sydney on 4/5 November. This is also our first cruise on a recognised luxury ship (I don't count a cruise back in 2005 on an old boat which has since been scrapped).

There is so much for you to see in Sydney - The Rocks, Opera House, ferry trip to Manly, Taronga Zoo, Museum/s, Art Gallery, Darling Harbour - your days will be filled. And most of these you can visit on foot. Sydney is very accessible for tourists. Also, November is a lovely month weather-wise being the last month of Spring.

Which cruise are you taking? I would image as you are away for 10 days it should take you right up the eastern coast of Australia as far as Cairns in the far north. You should have a wonderful time on your visit to Australia, we are a friendly bunch out here and speak your language too, though sometimes I have trouble understanding our teenagers (me thinks they possibly watch too much TV and parrot what they hear !).

Enjoy your cruise ......

Is it this November you are coming to Australia (you are counting the days' date=' not months!). We are also cruising out of Sydney on Celebrity Solstice which is a 12 day Australia to NZ cruise, leaving Sydney on 4/5 November. This is also our first cruise on a recognised luxury ship (I don't count a cruise back in 2005 on an old boat which has since been scrapped).

There is so much for you to see in Sydney - The Rocks, Opera House, ferry trip to Manly, Taronga Zoo, Museum/s, Art Gallery, Darling Harbour - your days will be filled. And most of these you can visit on foot. Sydney is very accessible for tourists. Also, November is a lovely month weather-wise being the last month of Spring.

Which cruise are you taking? I would image as you are away for 10 days it should take you right up the eastern coast of Australia as far as Cairns in the far north. You should have a wonderful time on your visit to Australia, we are a

friendly bunch out here and speak your language too, though sometimes I have trouble understanding our teenagers (me thinks they possibly watch too much TV and parrot what they hear !).

Enjoy your cruise ......[/quote']

Lol our teenagers are exactly the same.....the youth of today :)

Yep it's this November we come and visit your beautiful country,

We leave the uk on 6th November and have a stopover in Singapore before travelling on to Sydney where we spend a couple of nts before we pick up our cruise,

We are going on the sun princess which leaves Sydney on the 11th nov for 10nts and head up the coast to the Whitsunday islands and back down to Sydney

One of our ports is airlie beach as well as cairns but we will probably stay on board on that port stop due to the fact that we are heading back up to airlie later in our holiday

We don't have many port calls on our cruise so will be spending a lot of time on board so are crossing our fingers we like cruising

After our cruise we have another couple of nts in Sydney before flying up to the Whitsundays

So it's your first cruise as well (sort of)??? Bet you can't wait either can you?

We probably should have gone to New Zealand as well while we are over in oz but i suppose we couldn't do everything (unfortunately)

There's more to this cruising than we thought and although we are looking forward to it we hope it suits us, cruise critic has been a great help with some fantastic people giving fantastic advice

Can't wait to visit your beautiful country and meet some lovely new friends

Hope you also have a brilliant cruise

Kind regards

Mark and Angela

Lol our teenagers are exactly the same.....the youth of today :)

Yep it's this November we come and visit your beautiful country,

We leave the uk on 6th November and have a stopover in Singapore before travelling on to Sydney where we spend a couple of nts before we pick up our cruise,

We are going on the sun princess which leaves Sydney on the 11th nov for 10nts and head up the coast to the Whitsunday islands and back down to Sydney

One of our ports is airlie beach as well as cairns but we will probably stay on board on that port stop due to the fact that we are heading back up to airlie later in our holiday

We don't have many port calls on our cruise so will be spending a lot of time on board so are crossing our fingers we like cruising

After our cruise we have another couple of nts in Sydney before flying up to the Whitsundays

So it's your first cruise as well (sort of)??? Bet you can't wait either can you?

We probably should have gone to New Zealand as well while we are over in oz but i suppose we couldn't do everything (unfortunately)

There's more to this cruising than we thought and although we are looking forward to it we hope it suits us, cruise critic has been a great help with some fantastic people giving fantastic advice

Can't wait to visit your beautiful country and meet some lovely new friends

Hope you also have a brilliant cruise

Kind regards

Mark and Angela

After flying half-way around the world to reach OZ you will definitely deserve ship board life, ie being waited on for your every whim, lovely food served, your bed and room cleaned and tidied every day, no cooking, and overall a very relaxing and pleasant way to spend your days on holiday. Just chill out and enjoy your surroundings and fellow passengers.

After having done our 3 previous trips to NZ, driving each and every day, living out of suitcases etc. a cruise for us will be bliss or at least for my husband who did all the driving (but he assures me he loves driving).

You have nothing to worry about for your upcoming holiday in Aussie. Just go with the flow and enjoy each moment. There probably will be little bits of annoyance but as they say "don't sweat the little stuff".

Have a great time and I am sure you will have wonderful memories of your trip down-under.

Regards, Christine & Cliff

Is it this November you are coming to Australia (you are counting the days' date=' not months!). We are also cruising out of Sydney on Celebrity Solstice which is a 12 day Australia to NZ cruise, leaving Sydney on 4/5 November. This is also our first cruise on a recognised luxury ship (I don't count a cruise back in 2005 on an old boat which has since been scrapped).[/quote']

Christine, you will LOVE the Solstice. Have you signed up for our Meet and Greet? Appreciate your Sydney suggestions. Less than 4 weeks now!

Edited by Aloha 1

The northern half of the city between Circular Quay/The Rocks and Town Hall station is the nice part of the CBD. Between CQ and Wynyard station is mostly offices and between Wynyard and Town Hall is mostly shopping. The travelodge is a good location although only 3, maybe 3.5 star. The Menzies, located on top of Wynyard station is also a good 4 star bet or if you want 5 star in a good spot at a decent rate, try the Amora on Jamison St.

I would avoid any hotel and I guess this includes the Metro, that is located between Town Hall station and Central station. This is the rougher southern part of the CBD. The accom is cheaper and it has great little cheap eats, particularly in the Chinatown area, but it can also be the hangout area for the bums and junkies and gets the drunks on Fri/Sat nights.

Certainly, don't try to stay out anywhere near White Bay. It is a reclaimed industrial area and has absolutely nothing worth seeing, doing or staying at.

So anywhere between Park St and the harbour, going south to north, and between Kent St and Macquarie St going west to east would be fine and within 15mins walking distance of anything worth seeing in the city.

The train from the airport is very handy but has one failing. It's part of a through suburban route from East Hills into the city and so you are sharing with other commuters. If your arrival or departure coincides with the morning or evening peak hour rush then the trains will be very full with very little room for luggage. They are not dedicated airport expresses nor specially built airport carriages. A cab from the airport should not cost you more than roughly $60. I got airport to Northern Beaches, ten kms over the Harbour Bridge last week for $81. Tell the driver to head down Southern Cross Drive and he should think you know enough to not go the back way. Most drivers are honest but there's always the odd one. If the meter gets over $70, it's not gridlock and you've not reached the CBD I'd be asking him why.

The northern half of the city between Circular Quay/The Rocks and Town Hall station is the nice part of the CBD. Between CQ and Wynyard station is mostly offices and between Wynyard and Town Hall is mostly shopping. The travelodge is a good location although only 3, maybe 3.5 star. The Menzies, located on top of Wynyard station is also a good 4 star bet or if you want 5 star in a good spot at a decent rate, try the Amora on Jamison St.

I would avoid any hotel and I guess this includes the Metro, that is located between Town Hall station and Central station. This is the rougher southern part of the CBD. The accom is cheaper and it has great little cheap eats, particularly in the Chinatown area, but it can also be the hangout area for the bums and junkies and gets the drunks on Fri/Sat nights.

Certainly, don't try to stay out anywhere near White Bay. It is a reclaimed industrial area and has absolutely nothing worth seeing, doing or staying at.

So anywhere between Park St and the harbour, going south to north, and between Kent St and Macquarie St going west to east would be fine and within 15mins walking distance of anything worth seeing in the city.

Hi

I read your post and now I am worried about the location of the hotel we have chosen for our four night stay in Sydney. It is the Travelodge Sydney on Wentworth Avenue. Is this within the confines of the area you describe to avoid? Please let me know.

Are we near public transportation ie: city buses and a train station?

We plan to spend one day visiting the Blue Mountains and the other days seeing the sights. Any suggestions of "must see/do"

Thanks

Lorraine:)

Edited by Queen of the Queen

The train from the airport is very handy but has one failing. It's part of a through suburban route from East Hills into the city and so you are sharing with other commuters. If your arrival or departure coincides with the morning or evening peak hour rush then the trains will be very full with very little room for luggage. They are not dedicated airport expresses nor specially built airport carriages. A cab from the airport should not cost you more than roughly $60. I got airport to Northern Beaches, ten kms over the Harbour Bridge last week for $81. Tell the driver to head down Southern Cross Drive and he should think you know enough to not go the back way. Most drivers are honest but there's always the odd one. If the meter gets over $70, it's not gridlock and you've not reached the CBD I'd be asking him why.

Thank you so much for this info. I have come up with several hotels and now I am concerned about location. Any advice or direction on the following:

Cambridge Hotel at 212 Riley Street

Holiday Inn Potts Point at 203 Victoria Street

Meriton Apartments on Pitt St, Kent St or Campell St

1888 Hotel at 139 Murray

Simpsons of Potts Point at 8 Challis Ave

We are totally clueless about the area. Thanks so much.

Tge Meriton apartments are in the city so easy access to everything. My favourite is the Campbell St block.

Potts Point is an inner suburb and Challis St is a lovely area. Only hitch is you need to use kings Cross Station and this is not recommended on a weekend night. (and yes if any one wants to says it's not so bad. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were 3 x sniffer dogs at the station in different spots, drunks already abhsing and kicking at taxis at 6pm)

The Cambridge is in a good eating area, but I'm not familiar with the hotel itself, never having stayed there

1888 is brand new. I'm not a fan of Darling harbour but some like it.

I would avoid any hotel and I guess this includes the Metro, that is located between Town Hall station and Central station. This is the rougher southern part of the CBD. The accom is cheaper and it has great little cheap eats, particularly in the Chinatown area, but it can also be the hangout area for the bums and junkies and gets the drunks on Fri/Sat nights./QUOTE]

The Wentworth is east of George St and that area is generally fine. Its the strip right near central station and generally down George St that is an issue.

There are just as many bums and bag people down at the Quay and in the city centre now.

Tge Meriton apartments are in the city so easy access to everything. My favourite is the Campbell St block.

Potts Point is an inner suburb and Challis St is a lovely area. Only hitch is you need to use kings Cross Station and this is not recommended on a weekend night. (and yes if any one wants to says it's not so bad. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were 3 x sniffer dogs at the station in different spots, drunks already abhsing and kicking at taxis at 6pm)

The Cambridge is in a good eating area, but I'm not familiar with the hotel itself, never having stayed there

1888 is brand new. I'm not a fan of Darling harbour but some like it.

Thanks so much. We will not be there on the weekend. I appreciate your advice and input.