2nd Solo Cruise - I'm ADDICTED

cynt

Hi there! I'm looking at booking a solo cruise next fall... I scored some really cheap airfare to Europe and I have three weeks to kill, so I'm looking at a Baltic cruise. But I'm nervous about solo cruising. I've cruised with groups before and loved it, but I'm worried about going it alone. I think dinners will be the hardest - I'm sure I'll be busy enough during the day :) Would you recommend it?

Recommend solo cruising? It is the only way I cruise so I definitley

recommed it:D:):D:)

Hi there! I'm looking at booking a solo cruise next fall... I scored some really cheap airfare to Europe and I have three weeks to kill, so I'm looking at a Baltic cruise. But I'm nervous about solo cruising. I've cruised with groups before and loved it, but I'm worried about going it alone. I think dinners will be the hardest - I'm sure I'll be busy enough during the day :) Would you recommend it?

ABSOLUTELY!! Check out the roll call! I go to dinner alone a lot so eating by myself is no big deal to me. Practice going to dinner by yourself that might help. You might want to start by going to the bar area in the restaurant and practice striking up a conversation with the person next to you. Just a simple hello and what's that you're having it looks delicious.

YOU CAN DO IT!! I wish I had "3 weeks to kills". I my goodness I would be on a TA so quick it would make your head swim. :D

I totally agree that cruise cabins are too small to hold someone else's luggage as storage. I cannot speak for you but I tend to over pack when I go on cruises and that means there is not enough room for other people's belongings. that means you have to be around when people need the things that are inside your cabin.. just sounds like a major inconvenience to me. well I hope you are able to stand your ground on that one and tell your family to pack sensibly..

Umm I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not holding luggage. My nieces stay in my room on vacations. LOL!!!:D

Umm I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not holding luggage. My nieces stay in my room on vacations. LOL!!!:D

Reading is fundamental but comprehension is golden.. I suppose I did misinterpret your last response.. I love my nieces and nephews to pieces but them rugrats staying in my room is absolutely a non-starter for me. The only caveat to that is that if I ever decide to take my nieces and nephews on vacation of my own volition then I would bunk up with said rugrats to save money.. but at this point I just cannot see such a thing happening.. knowing me if I was forced to I would just get adjoining rooms deal with it that way..

Reading is fundamental but comprehension is golden.. I suppose I did misinterpret your last response.. I love my nieces and nephews to pieces but them rugrats staying in my room is absolutely a non-starter for me. The only caveat to that is that if I ever decide to take my nieces and nephews on vacation of my own volition then I would bunk up with said rugrats to save money.. but at this point I just cannot see such a thing happening.. knowing me if I was forced to I would just get adjoining rooms deal with it that way..

LOL!! That sounds like something I would do. We took a short family reunion cruise in July 2012 my dad's side of the family and it didn't turn out as I thought it would. A lot of people didn't go.:confused: It was discouraging at first but at the end of the weekend I was sooo glad it was only a few people that cruised. LOL!! They wore me out with 100 questions a day. I loved it and hated it at the same time. Seven 1st time cruisers. We had an absolute blast!! They are hooked!! I shared a cabin w/ my cuz, she was a good cabinmate. This was before my love for solo cabins started. :D It was just 3 nights so it wasn't a big deal.

You will have to keep me posted on your family reunion cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
My ex calls all the time and when my next cruise comes up in conversation he always wants to join me. I tell him sure! In your own cabin!

LOL too funny......I guess that is one of the good reasons I don't have

an EX anymore......well, I do but haven't seen or talked to him since

1986.:D

Enjoy your new addiction. To warn you though, the desire to cruise solo and more often gets worse. :-) (In a good way of course) Solo cruise #9 for me is in 10 days! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

OMG!! You are so right. I'm looking for a February cruise right now. LOL! Hoping to snag something out of Galveston if the price is right. Come on Cyber Monday sales!!

I'm addicted as well!! I went on 3rd solo cruise in September and will be going on my 4th in March onboard the Explorer of the Seas. I managed to snag an aft balcony for an amazing solo rate! I'm still in shock every time I see the price.

There's nothing that beats the feeling of doing what I want, when I want and how I want. I was very active in my last roll call and met some wonderful people in my excursions. I still communicate with one woman from that sailing and may join her and her husband on a fall 2014 sailing.

I know someone who is interested in trying solo cruising but wants to come on my March sailing. I can't stop her from booking the same ship but I will not be sharing my cabin. I'll only do that when I have a significant other from now on.

I'm jealous of those who are sailing in the next few days!! Also, someone mentioned about eating alone. I ate in both Chops and Portofino on my Jewel sailing and enjoyed myself. They were really attentive to me because I was by myself, which was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Being a single 33 y/o single guy, I've been doing the solo travel thing for years now...usually extending business trips into opportunties to explore new places. I've just never done it via cruise. Some friends convinced me to go on the Ruby Princess on Dec 14th and as I've started looking more into the cruise thing, this might be my new adventure of choice! I'm technically going with friends who are experienced cruisers this time, but I'll have my own cabin, and they're a little older than me, so we may end up doing our own thing quite a bit.

Any tips for a first time solo cruiser? Not looking for anything in particular, just a good time, so any and all recommendations are appreciated! :)

Being a single 33 y/o single guy, I've been doing the solo travel thing for years now...usually extending business trips into opportunties to explore new places. I've just never done it via cruise. Some friends convinced me to go on the Ruby Princess on Dec 14th and as I've started looking more into the cruise thing, this might be my new adventure of choice! I'm technically going with friends who are experienced cruisers this time, but I'll have my own cabin, and they're a little older than me, so we may end up doing our own thing quite a bit.

Any tips for a first time solo cruiser? Not looking for anything in particular, just a good time, so any and all recommendations are appreciated! :)

Relax and have a good time. Read the daily newspaper to find out what's going on around the ship for the day. Research the port of calls before hand so you can have an idea of where you're going and the must do's for you, everybody's is different. Go to the port of call board here on CC as well as tripadvisor.com for a wealth of information.

WARNING! You might become addicted to cruising!:D

I just booked my 1st Solo cruise on the EPIC. I've thought about it for well over a year and decided "Yes! Just do it." I'm so excited!!!!

CONGRATS!!! I haven't been on her yet but it's on my list. Did you book the studio cabin for one?

• 4 weeks later...
LOL...love this kind of thread.......I have been on close to 40 cruises

solo and ready for my 41st:D

Hi Lois, could you please recommend a hotel in Cocoa Beach for me?

I'm deciding on either the Radisson or LaQuinta, not sure which one yet.

Thanks for your advice. Mary49

Ready to book my 3rd solo cruise. I'm eyeing the Navigator for February. Here's hoping I get a last minute price drop or I might just book the CCL Magic or Caribbean Princess. I love that I can drive to the port and take advantage of last minute cruises. RESIDENT RATES ROCK!!! WAA HOO!!

Hey, my friend, did you see the super cheap rates on the Navigator for May 25? A lot of folks booked that if it is an option for you. Regarding studio cabins, that is what I booked on the Radiance to Alaska. I will be sure to come back and post pics of that cabin. :D

Hey, my friend, did you see the super cheap rates on the Navigator for May 25? A lot of folks booked that if it is an option for you. Regarding studio cabins, that is what I booked on the Radiance to Alaska. I will be sure to come back and post pics of that cabin. :D

Hi. How's it going? I'm going to a family reunion that weekend or you know I would have been all over that Navigator cruise. LOL!! But I found a cheap Carnival cruise next month, Carnival Sunshine. So 33 more days until I'm back on the high seas!

Hi Lois, could you please recommend a hotel in Cocoa Beach for me?

I'm deciding on either the Radisson or LaQuinta, not sure which one yet.

Thanks for your advice. Mary49

Hi Mary, oops...I guess I didn't check back here last week.

I would go with The Radisson:)

Hi,:) hope you have a great time.....as for that other site? I don't do it

at all and maybe you will find other folks who continue to chat on here.

Actually, at the top of all the roll call forums, there have been several

annoucements about NOT promoting FB.....

I chat on Cruise Critic for cruises:)....it is all I need.

I have never signed up for FB or any other site like it. Never wanted to. A very good family friend is a police officer who works with Internet issues. He told me some stories that scarred the you know what out of me.