Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Hi -

Is there a ticket kiosk or tourist place on Gamla Stan than I can purchase a bus ticket for bus #76 to get back to Frihamnen?

Pressbyrån at Gamla stan subway station, Munkbrogatan 8

Pressbyrån, Västerlånggatan 19

Hjärtpunkten, Järntorget 83

Thank you so much for this information. I feel much more confident now about getting back to the ship!

I also believe they sell them at 7-11. There is one right in the middle of the old town.

Al

I know you have probably answered all of this before but I need to ask in order to feel confident that we are on the right track for our part day in Stockholm.

We are on the Emerald Princess arriving on Tuesday June 12 from 7am to 2pm only! We are docking at S167.

My plan is to purchase a combo HOHO and Vasa ticket at the booth at the dock and hop on one of the boats going directly to the Vasa so we can be there as early as possible (hopefully 8:30am when they open). Spend approximately 1 hour touring the Vasa Museum. After that I would like to take the HOHO over to the Royal Palace stop and walk over to City Hall and catch the 10am tour. After the tour decide if we want to go up the tower at 11:15am. This will take us till about noon at which time we would walk over to the Stockholm Cathedral for a quick tour. Then wander around Old Town and catch the HOHO back to the ship for 1:30 all aboard time.

Is there anything we should consider eliminating or adding? Is is possible to cover all of this in our short time frame?

I had considered purchasing the Stockholm Card rather than the HOHO pass but wasn't sure if the bus was as efficient as the HOHO boats.

Thank you for any information you can provide to make our day in Stockholm an amazing one!

We were hoping to do something similar to Homeagain in Stockholm. We dock early and want to get to the Vasa Museum first thing but it looks like the Hoho boat doesn't start running until just before 10:00am. What are our other options?

We were hoping to do something similar to Homeagain in Stockholm. We dock early and want to get to the Vasa Museum first thing but it looks like the Hoho boat doesn't start running until just before 10:00am. What are our other options?

Gayle,,

I have read that the HOHO boats start running around 8:30am to take people directly to the Vasa or Gamla Stan. I am trying to confirm this as we would like to be at the Vasa by 8:30. We may have to go for the bus instead.

If Al has any information for us we would appreciate it.

Diane

Gayle,,

I have read that the HOHO boats start running around 8:30am to take people directly to the Vasa or Gamla Stan. I am trying to confirm this as we would like to be at the Vasa by 8:30. We may have to go for the bus instead.

Diane

Diane - I thought I had read that as well but can't find the info now. I had a hard drive crash and lost all my bookmarks. :(

Gayle,,

Diane

The HOHO boat companies know when a ship is expected to dock and the way I understand it they will be waiting at the dock when you disembark. They will wait until they are full before leaving (well, they did on the day I investigated last season).

Have fun,

Al

Al,

Thanks for the information - any chance you can comment on my plan for Stockholm - it is on post #879. I'm not sure which method of transportation would be the most time effective the HOHO boats or the buses? I'm not concerned about purchasing the Stockholm card and not getting my $ worth - it would strictly be for convenience only allowing us to use the buses and get into both the Vasa and City Hall.

I appreciated any suggestions.

Thanks.

Diane

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Can you tell me which port Celebrity Constellation docks: Frihamnen or Stadsgardskajen?

We are trying to find our way to "Free Tour Stockholm."

Thanks.

Dee Dee

I know you have probably answered all of this before but I need to ask in order to feel confident that we are on the right track for our part day in Stockholm.

We are on the Emerald Princess arriving on Tuesday June 12 from 7am to 2pm only! We are docking at S167.

My plan is to purchase a combo HOHO and Vasa ticket at the booth at the dock and hop on one of the boats going directly to the Vasa so we can be there as early as possible (hopefully 8:30am when they open). Spend approximately 1 hour touring the Vasa Museum. After that I would like to take the HOHO over to the Royal Palace stop and walk over to City Hall and catch the 10am tour. After the tour decide if we want to go up the tower at 11:15am. This will take us till about noon at which time we would walk over to the Stockholm Cathedral for a quick tour. Then wander around Old Town and catch the HOHO back to the ship for 1:30 all aboard time.

Is there anything we should consider eliminating or adding? Is is possible to cover all of this in our short time frame?

I had considered purchasing the Stockholm Card rather than the HOHO pass but wasn't sure if the bus was as efficient as the HOHO boats.

Thank you for any information you can provide to make our day in Stockholm an amazing one!

As North-Bound mentioned elsewhere, you can’t always count on the advertised docking assignment. However, that said, when it says S167 this early, well that is most likely where you will be.

In all honesty, I am not familiar with the HOHO service, there are several (at least 2) companies. I tried to get some straight answers last season, but I am still a little confused. I am pretty sure they will be waiting to take people to the Vasa when the ship disembarks.

Sorry, but in my opinion you are trying to do too much in such a short time. I would forget the city hall tour and the tower. You are not taking into consideration getting around. You have to consider waiting time for ferries, buses or whatever and climbing the tower too. I suppose what you have on your wish list is possible, but I would be dead about half way through, and stressed out of my gourd even if everything fell into place perfectly, time wise, crowds etc. Once again, sorry, but this is the way I like to travel. I understand it might be a once in a lifetime trip for you and you may never get back, but best to be aware.

I’m sure you will have an amazing day. Be sure to add on your comment card to the cruise line that you were not real thrilled with the in-port hours. Enjoy the sail-in/out through the archipelago. Hope I did not put a damper on your plans, I can only speak for how I would do it.

Al

Can you tell me which port Celebrity Constellation docks: Frihamnen or Stadsgardskajen?

Dee Dee

When I answered this question "Ports of Stockholm" showed Connie booked at Frihamnen. But when I checked again, after seeing Muti's post, it had changed to Stadsgården. I hope this has not caused confusion and that you will now remain at Stadsgården.

As North-Bound mentioned elsewhere, you can’t always count on the advertised docking assignment. However, that said, when it says S167 this early, well that is most likely where you will be.

In all honesty, I am not familiar with the HOHO service, there are several (at least 2) companies. I tried to get some straight answers last season, but I am still a little confused. I am pretty sure they will be waiting to take people to the Vasa when the ship disembarks.

Sorry, but in my opinion you are trying to do too much in such a short time. I would forget the city hall tour and the tower. You are not taking into consideration getting around. You have to consider waiting time for ferries, buses or whatever and climbing the tower too. I suppose what you have on your wish list is possible, but I would be dead about half way through, and stressed out of my gourd even if everything fell into place perfectly, time wise, crowds etc. Once again, sorry, but this is the way I like to travel. I understand it might be a once in a lifetime trip for you and you may never get back, but best to be aware.

I’m sure you will have an amazing day. Be sure to add on your comment card to the cruise line that you were not real thrilled with the in-port hours. Enjoy the sail-in/out through the archipelago. Hope I did not put a damper on your plans, I can only speak for how I would do it.

Al

Thanks for your input Al, I think we will skip the tower and play the City Hall tour by ear - if we can't make the 10am we may look at booking for 11 or 12 and wander Gamla Stan prior. We do like to see as much as possible when we are in port and with only 4 of us we can usually cover a lot of ground in a short time frame if we have a good plan.

I'm still debating between the HOHO boats and buses - Anyone else have any input as to which is the most efficient for getting around?

Thanks for all the help!

Diane

We arrive 7 AM Sunday in July. A terrible time and leave the pier at 2 PM Thus we have only Sunday AM to do anything. We will go to Vasa (it opens at 8:30) and then Gamla Stan.

Are any stores open on Sunday Am in Gamla Stam, especially small antigue or specialty shops? Thanks for the help.

We will be in Stockholm from the time our plane lands on July 29 until our ship [Eurodam] leaves on July 31. We will be at the Stockholm Hilton Slussen.

Is there any way that we could get an all-day tour that would pick us up at the Hilton on July 30th? :confused: We'd like to see as much as possible while we are in Stockholm. We figure that we can walk around the area near the hotel on our own as soon as we arrive.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

GG

Still trying to determine which route to go - Bus or HOHO boat to get to Vasa before 8:30am - so we can go in as soon as it opens.

I believe we can catch bus 76 from Slussen to get there but what time does it start in the morning? We are there on a Tuesday from 7am to 2pm docked at Stadsgarden 167. Is there is schedule I can get from somewhere with the bus times?

From the Vasa we want to go over to City Hall or Gamla Stan, again is the bus or HOHO better or will either work?

We are trying to decide whether to get a Stockholm card or not - purely for convenience - we know we will not get our money's worth but for $68 (Approx) each for the day we still feel it would be worth it if the transportation works. Otherwise we will look at an all day HOHO boat pass.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

Diane

Is there is schedule I can get from somewhere with the bus times?

Here is the current timetable for bus 76 with times for four major stops. First table is for buses going North to South, second table for buses going South to North. Full list of stops at the end of table.

http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/v76.pdf

Edited by Ultima Thule

Here is the current timetable for bus 76 with times for four major stops. First table is for buses going North to South, second table for buses going South to North. Full list of stops at the end of table.

http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/v76.pdf

Thanks Ultima Thule. Any thoughts on which method of transportation is better/quicker/more efficient?

we'll be with the norwegian SUN at June 25th from 8:00 to 15:00 in stockholm

what's nice to see for our first visit :confused:

should we walk or take a taxi or a hoho-bus/ship :confused:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

Hi

Can i know whether is there a taxi stand at Frihamnen pier?

Cos on the last day when the ship returns to Stockholm, we have to make our way to the airport...just wondering if there will be taxis waiting for passengers...

By the way i am from Singapore and will be taking Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas..

we'll be with the norwegian SUN at June 25th from 8:00 to 15:00 in stockholm

what's nice to see for our first visit :confused:

should we walk or take a taxi or a hoho-bus/ship :confused:

Your ship is booked to dock at Stadsgården Port. That means you could use the Ho/Ho-boat, but there are other options also. Gamla Stan (the Old Town) is a 25-30 minutes walk from where your ship will be docked.

I can not give much advice about what to see in Stockholm, that depends on your own individual interests. But most visitors want to see the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan.

Here is a link to a map where you can find your port, the main sights in Stockholm, and also some means of transportation:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.326447,18.081436&spn=0.058586,0.117245