Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I have a question if you're still answering!

We are on the last Emerald Princess Baltic Cruise this season, and the ship gets to Stockholm on 15-September.

When I look on the Stromma.se website for the Hop-on, Hop-off boats, the timetable says that the last day the ferry runs for the season is 13-September, two days before our ship gets there.

We want to start with the Vasa Museum when we arrive, and we don't want to spend a lot of time on transport, so we are thinking of taking a water taxi to Vasa.

However I do understand that when ships are in port early, the Hop-on, Ho-off boats sometimes start running early. I am wondering of they might go ahead and run on 15-September as well, since there is a ship in port.

Is there a way to find this out?

Also, are there any other ferry lines that run all year, and would run between Djurgarden and Gamla Stan?

Are there any sort of discounts for Vasa Museum tickets???

What time is the Changing of the Guard on a Sunday in August??

If we take the 76 bus to the Vasa Museaum, then take the ferry to the Palace and Gamla Stan, what would be the best way to get back to Firhamnan??

Edited by Giantfan13

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Emerald Princess. We accidentally bumped into HOHO boat after losing our way off the ship. We didn't plan on taking HOHO boat due to the clock-wise schedule and taking 1 hr to finish the circle. However, they probably also noticed the complaints and cater early boats going directly from where Emerald docks to Varsa. It then go directly from Varsa to the Palace to catch the changing to guards. The schedule then turn into the regular 1 hr clock wise in the afternoon. This is much better and faster to beat the crowd to Varsa. Just go left off the boat all the way to the end and you will see the HOHO boats.

Just got off Emerald Princess. We accidentally bumped into HOHO boat after losing our way off the ship. We didn't plan on taking HOHO boat due to the clock-wise schedule and taking 1 hr to finish the circle. However, they probably also noticed the complaints and cater early boats going directly from where Emerald docks to Varsa. It then go directly from Varsa to the Palace to catch the changing to guards. The schedule then turn into the regular 1 hr clock wise in the afternoon. This is much better and faster to beat the crowd to Varsa. Just go left off the boat all the way to the end and you will see the HOHO boats.

They need to advertise this more. We would have done this instead of taking a taxi, had we known at the time. The clock-wise routing, and the Vasa being next-to-last on that routing, kept us from even considering it.

Edited by bigwally

We are trying to decide whether to do the HOHO boats. Is there any way to find out if HAL uses the dock where HOHO has a stop. We are on HAL in Stockholm on Sept 2.

HAL Rotterdam? As of right now you're scheduled in at Frihamnen.

They need to advertise this more. We would have done this instead of taking a taxi, had we known at the time. The clock-wise routing, and the Vasa being next-to-last on that routing, kept us from even considering it.

They certainly need to update their website. I don't think they got any chance to attract customers at the port since they were blocked by a fence where nobody could see from the exit. Only the lucky lost ones like us that walked to the end were able to hear them said, "boat directly to vasa".

Wally,

Did you arrange for a taxi ahead of time or just grab one when you got off the ship? We dock in Stadsgarden, not Frihamnen. I don't know if that makes a difference. If you did make advanced arrangements who did you contact. If not, were there and ample number of cabs waiting. We won't be in Stockholm until 9/15 and it appears the HOHO boat no longer runs at that point.

Thanks,

Wally,

Did you arrange for a taxi ahead of time or just grab one when you got off the ship? We dock in Stadsgarden, not Frihamnen. I don't know if that makes a difference. If you did make advanced arrangements who did you contact. If not, were there and ample number of cabs waiting. We won't be in Stockholm until 9/15 and it appears the HOHO boat no longer runs at that point.

Thanks,

We were going to book one in advance, but decided to wait in case of docking or disembarkation delays.

There weren't a huge number of cabs waiting, probably 3 or 4 at the time we disembarked, which is why we didn't haggle over the somewhat (but not terribly) higher price the driver quoted over what we figured it should have cost. If you remember my other post on the subject, we paid SEK200 vs. SEK165 (or was it SEK 155?) I'd figured out by using the rate chart one taxi company provided on their web site.

Oh, BTW, since the price was higher than I'd expected, I didn't tip. Which I would normally do (and quite generously, even if I do say so myself) for taxi drivers.

Edited by bigwally

Wally,

Thanks,

Do yourself a favor, if you plan on pre-booking a taxi use Taxi Stockholm - +46 8 15 00 00

They are the biggest and most reputable company. The cars you find usually waiting outside the cruise terminals tend to be the so called "Black Taxi's", in other words they are more independent and these are the guys that prey on unsuspecting tourists from time to time, I would avoid them.

Reliable cab companies in Stockholm:

Taxi Stockholm - (I recommend these guys #1)

Taxi Kurir

Top Cab

Taxi 020

Enjoy your visit,

Al

Edited by Al_Frescoe

They are the biggest and most reputable company. The cars you find usually waiting outside the cruise terminals tend to be the so called "Black Taxi's", in other words they are more independent and these are the guys that prey on unsuspecting tourists from time to time, I would avoid them.

Good point. Which is another reason we agreed on the fare before we got into the cab. There is another thread going somewhere on here which talks about unscrupulous taxi companies in Stockholm.

Do yourself a favor, if you plan on pre-booking a taxi use Taxi Stockholm - +46 8 15 00 00

Reliable cab companies in Stockholm:

Taxi Stockholm - (I recommend these guys #1)

Taxi Kurir

Top Cab

Taxi 020

Enjoy your visit,

Al

Good point. Which is another reason we agreed on the fare before we got into the cab. There is another thread going somewhere on here which talks about unscrupulous taxi companies in Stockholm.

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, Taxi Stockholm was the company I intended on contacting. It's good to hear that is the best choice.

OK, we leave in a week, and I have some serious questions about transportation in Stockholm. Al_Frescoe, I got this itinerary from one you posted a couple of months ago.

We are on the Jewel, scheduled to dock at Frihamnen. We want to go to the Vasa Museum first, then to the Palace and then explore Gamla Stan, and THEN, try to get back to our ship. As we are docking on a Sunday, from what I've read, the #76 bus doesn't run, and the HoHo bus or boat doesn't stop there.

This is how you suggested I get to Vasa from Frihamnen:

Take Bus 1 from Frihamnen towards Stora Essingen.

Your departure from Frihamnen is at 08:51,

your arrival in Värtavägen is at 08:59.

At Karlaplan change to Bus 44 towards Skansen.

Your departure from Karlaplan is at 09:10.

You arrive in Nordiska museet/Vasamuseet at approx. 09:14.

The duration of your journey is 23 minutes.

Have a nice journey!

That is fine (I hope).

From Vasa we probably would do the ferry to Gamla Stan, take in the Palace and the changing of the guard, (what time on a Sunday) and stroll around the area.

Now, what are our options to get back to Frihamnen and our ship by 4:00 (really 3:30)??.

I tried to do a trip search thing on a web site and this is what they came up with:

From Old Town Sunday, August 9 at 14:34 to Freeport at 15:04 ( they didn't go to Aug 23, when we will be there, so I just used any Sunday)

Takemetro red line 13From the Old Town against Ropsten.

It is from the Old Town 14:34

and come to Karlaplan 14:40.

At Värtavägen change toblåbuss 1Against Freeport.

It goes from Värtavägen 14:53.

You have arrived at Freeport 15:04.

Travel time 30 minutes.

OR

From Old Town Sunday, August 9 at 15:04 to Freeport at 15:34

Takemetro red line 13From the Old Town against Ropsten.

It is from the Old Town 15:04

and come to Karlaplan 15:10.

At Värtavägen change toblåbuss 1Against Freeport.

It goes from Värtavägen 15:23.

You have arrived at Freeport 15:34.

Travel time 30 minutes.

Some one else mentioned that I might be able to catch the #1 bus in Gamla Stan and take that back to Frihamnen?? Is that so, and where??

Now with all this traveling on public transportation, what is my best bet for a card or something like that?? Do they have a travel pass that allows all this transportation for one price??

Thanks for all the help I can get on this as time is ticking away.

Take Bus 1 from Frihamnen towards Stora Essingen.

Your departure from Frihamnen is at 08:51,

your arrival in Värtavägen is at 08:59.

At Karlaplan change to Bus 44 towards Skansen.

Your departure from Karlaplan is at 09:10.

You arrive in Nordiska museet/Vasamuseet at approx. 09:14.

The duration of your journey is 23 minutes.

Have a nice journey!

That is fine (I hope).

Sounds ok to me. Just a little comment. I noticed the bus 44 circles Karlaplan so that both the NW going and the South going busses stop in front of the subway station so there are two bus 44 platforms next to each other. Be sure to take the correct one (it is clearly marked Skansen so it shouldnt be any problem)

Some one else mentioned that I might be able to catch the #1 bus in Gamla Stan and take that back to Frihamnen?? Is that so, and where??

Now with all this traveling on public transportation, what is my best bet for a card or something like that?? Do they have a travel pass that allows all this transportation for one price??

No, bus #1 goes through downtown but not through Old town.

Stops:

Cityterminalen

Vasagatan

Hötorget

Norrlandsgatan

Stureplan

Linnégatan

Humlegården

Nybrogatan

Jungfrugatan

Värtavägen

Storskärsgatan

Kampementsbacken

Gärdet

Sandhamnsplan

Rökubbsgatan

Östhammarsgatan

Sehlstedtsgatan

Frihamnsporten

Frihamnen

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fsommar/SthlmInnerstad.pdf

A 24 hour ticket costs 100 Kr

Edited by Ultima Thule

Excuse me for jumping in. Does anyone know if there is a TI at the Frihamnen Port and can we buy the Stockholm Card there?

We have the same plan as Giantfan13 - Vasa first, then to Old town. We are docking at there on a weekday so the plan is to take bus 76 since there is no HOHO boat. Am I correct? From what I have read we have to get either the 24 hour pass or the Stockholm card before boarding the bus and the Stockholm Card seems to be a better deal considering all the admissions we have to pay. I tried doing it online but it says we have to pick it up at the TI in town.

Sounds ok to me. Just a little comment. I noticed the bus 44 circles Karlaplan so that both the NW going and the South going busses stop in front of the subway station so there are two bus 44 platforms next to each other. Be sure to take the correct one (it is clearly marked Skansen so it shouldnt be any problem)

No, bus #1 goes through downtown but not through Old town.

Stops:

Cityterminalen

Vasagatan

Hötorget

Norrlandsgatan

Stureplan

Linnégatan

Humlegården

Nybrogatan

Jungfrugatan

Värtavägen

Storskärsgatan

Kampementsbacken

Gärdet

Sandhamnsplan

Rökubbsgatan

Östhammarsgatan

Sehlstedtsgatan

Frihamnsporten

Frihamnen

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fsommar/SthlmInnerstad.pdf

A 24 hour ticket costs 100 Kr

Stureplan is probably the stop nearest Gamla Stan. You can also take the T-Bana Red Line 13 from Gamla Stan to Gärdet and pick up the number 1 back to port from there.

I've got a similar question. We'll be in Stockholm on Tuesday 25th August and whilst I'm OK going to Vasa and then Gamla Stan, I realised last night that I haven't looked into how to get back to the ship from Gamla Stan.

The information I managed to find suggests getting the number 13 metro to Slussen and then the 76 bus back to Frihamnen. Is this the best way?

Thanks in advance.

Debbie:)

Excuse me for jumping in. Does anyone know if there is a TI at the Frihamnen Port and can we buy the Stockholm Card there?

We have the same plan as Giantfan13 - Vasa first, then to Old town. We are docking at there on a weekday so the plan is to take bus 76 since there is no HOHO boat. Am I correct? From what I have read we have to get either the 24 hour pass or the Stockholm card before boarding the bus and the Stockholm Card seems to be a better deal considering all the admissions we have to pay. I tried doing it online but it says we have to pick it up at the TI in town.

I ordered the Stockholm Card online and received it a few days ago. It took about a week to arrive (maybe 10 days, I can't remember for sure).

I used this website:

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the great info. Where can we buy the '24 hour travel card'? Is there a machine by the port that accepts credit cards??, Is there a tourist info booth near by??> I know we must have a ticket in order to ride the buses, but can we buy this all day card near the dock??

Do any of the HoHo lines come anywhere near Frihamnen on a Sunday. I was told there was a sort of link up at 10 AM to Frihamnen. Is this so??

And one last question (I hope) besides the Stochholm card, are there any sort of discounts for the Vasa Museum??

Edited by Giantfan13

I realised last night that I haven't looked into how to get back to the ship from Gamla Stan. The information I managed to find suggests getting the number 13 metro to Slussen and then the 76 bus back to Frihamnen. Is this the best way?

Thanks in advance.

Debbie:)

Frihamnen from Gamla Stan? You don't need the T-Bana. The 76 bus runs onto Gamla Stan. In fact, I think the next stop after Slussen is the one right beside the palace.

Edited by bigwally

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

We are ariving on the Emerald Princess on Sunday August 16th, I would like to know if we can purchace some Corona (mexican beer) at a store near the dock to bring back on the ship. I only drink Corona beer and would like to buy some to bring on the ship??

Thanks,