Carrying wine aboard policy on NCL?

bose

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were allowed to bring two bottles of wine aboard per stateroom. There was no fee if we drank the wine in our stateroom and a $25 corkage fee per bottle if we took the wine into the dining areas. As we have a cruise booked on the NCL Pearl, we were wondering what the policy is for bringing wine aboard as in number of bottles allowed and corkage fees?

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were allowed to bring two bottles of wine aboard per stateroom. There was no fee if we drank the wine in our stateroom and a $25 corkage fee per bottle if we took the wine into the dining areas. As we have a cruise booked on the NCL Pearl, we were wondering what the policy is for bringing wine aboard as in number of bottles allowed and corkage fees?

Hello, NCL does allow you to bring bottles of wine on for a $15 corkage fee per bottle. This is for a standard size bottle. They do charge a higher rate for a large bottle. Once the fee is paid, you may drink the wine at any place on the ship. They put a sticker on the bottle for tracking the payment of the fee.

Have a great cruise on the Pearl. We love the Pearl!

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a limit to the number of bottles of wine you can bring aboard?

I would be interested if anyone knows about number of bottles per person limit on NCL?? And what is the average cost of wine per bottle on-board the ship for comparison?

There's no limit, but you are required to pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee for bringing the bottle on board, even if you drink the wine in you cabin. As was mentioned, some cruise lines don't impose a corkage fee if you drink the wine in your cabin.

The cheapest bottles on the ship start at about $28-30, and the sky's the limit from there.

I am a Beringer White Zin drinker. The ship charges $32 for a small bottle. I carry on 2 large bottles ($11.00 each) and pack my own cork screw. When we sailed on the Pearl in June 2007, I told them the wine was for consumption in my cabin only. I was NOT charged the corking fee.

I'm doing the same thing this coming Friday when I board the Dawn. If they charge me the corking fee, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than paying $8 or $9 for one glass.

Karen

If you go to NCL's website & check the Bon Voyage gifts you can

find a list of wines / prices for pre-ordering but they pretty much

match the on-board dining room prices.

Last year we carried on 4 bottles of wine & a bottle of Champagne

& paid $15.00/bottle. There was nothing said about a limit.

I just got off the gem this past Saturday. I brought a bottle and was fully prepared to pay the fee. No one stopped me in, and when i asked about the sticker at guest services, they just said that at the restaurant they would charge the fee. When i brought it to the restaurant they just opened it up without charging, just lucked out there.

I am a Beringer White Zin drinker. The ship charges $32 for a small bottle. I carry on 2 large bottles ($11.00 each) and pack my own cork screw. When we sailed on the Pearl in June 2007, I told them the wine was for consumption in my cabin only. I was NOT charged the corking fee.

I'm doing the same thing this coming Friday when I board the Dawn. If they charge me the corking fee, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than paying $8 or $9 for one glass.

Karen

When you brought it on the Pearl, did you just pack it in your carry on bag and that is when you were questioned?? And let us know what happens this Friday, I can bring my own wine opener, no need to be charged $15! :)

We have always packed a bottle of wine in our checked luggage and have never been stopped. I wrap it up good in bubble wrap put it in a ziplock bag and tuck it away in my clothing. I already have a bottle packed for our cruise we are leaving for on Sunday. :) This will make or 9th cruise with NCL! We love freestyle. :) :)

Edited by Dancinfeet

Does not matter if you bring your own corkscrew, or even have a screwtop bottle. Same fee applies. $15 per 750ml

Never, ever heard of a limit as to the number of bottles.

Some people get stopped. Some do not.

If you were allowed on without a charge in 2007, consider yourself very, very lucky.

And, for those asking, I must assume you are new here at the NCL boards. You would serve yourself well to scan through the postings, and you may find answers to other questions you did not know you had.

Does not matter if you bring your own corkscrew, or even have a screwtop bottle. Same fee applies. $15 per 750ml

Never, ever heard of a limit as to the number of bottles.

Some people get stopped. Some do not.

If you were allowed on without a charge in 2007, consider yourself very, very lucky.

And, for those asking, I must assume you are new here at the NCL boards. You would serve yourself well to scan through the postings, and you may find answers to other questions you did not know you had.

Thank You GaryCarla! There seems to be at least one of these questions everyday. Too bad people don't use the "search" more often.:rolleyes:

Thank You GaryCarla! There seems to be at least one of these questions everyday. Too bad people don't use the "search" more often.:rolleyes:

Search would be nice, but it would so very easy just to read the posts right there in front on them. Amazing how somebody can post a question on the board that is already being discussed, on the FIRST page.

Oh well.

Search would be nice, but it would so very easy just to read the posts right there in front on them. Amazing how somebody can post a question on the board that is already being discussed, on the FIRST page.

Oh well.

Maby we should post a new thread about "suite perks" in the AF mini suites!!!

Bring on the Popcorn!! Ha! Ha!:D:D:D

Wow. Sorry, while I may be new to CC, I am not new to cruising, can't be too much new information to talk about on NCL everyday, so why not have the new people ask their questions to people that are currently posting helpful information? I'd rather read about someone just getting back from their cruise to see what the current trend is than waste my time or $ trying. Thanks.

Maby we should post a new thread about "suite perks" in the AF mini suites!!!

Bring on the Popcorn!! Ha! Ha!:D:D:D

Mini suite is not a suite

There are no formal nights

You can not bring booze, other than wine

$12 a day per person is service charge/tipping

:D

Wow. Sorry, while I may be new to CC, I am not new to cruising, can't be too much new information to talk about on NCL everyday, so why not have the new people ask their questions to people that are currently posting helpful information? I'd rather read about someone just getting back from their cruise to see what the current trend is than waste my time or $ trying. Thanks.

I agree. I've searched the threads and have asked a question that has been asked and answered for a couple of reasons. 1. There may be newer information. 2. I like hearing different perspectives. If a new post isn't created then it's not likely that a group of new people will add their opinions or knowledge.

What I can never understand is why people who don't want to read a post about the same questions over and over bother to look into a thread about things like can you bring on your own wine or when is formal night? If they aren't interested then why not skim right past the thread?

I say ignore the search, ask your questions and laugh at anyone who bashes you for it!

Don't be sorry. That's what the boards are for and MOST of us don't mind at all.

:D

I agree. I've searched the threads and have asked a question that has been asked and answered for a couple of reasons. 1. There may be newer information. 2. I like hearing different perspectives. If a new post isn't created then it's not likely that a group of new people will add their opinions or knowledge.

What I can never understand is why people who don't want to read a post about the same questions over and over bother to look into a thread about things like can you bring on your own wine or when is formal night? If they aren't interested then why not skim right past the thread?

I say ignore the search, ask your questions and laugh at anyone who bashes you for it!

Excellent question and suggestion.

Don't give it a second thought.

As sure as there will always be people posting questions that have already been answered, you can also bet on other people to have a field day while they taunt and act superior to those posters.

Only they think they are amusing.

Everyone else knows they are rude and condescending.

Enjoy your cruise!

Since this got some good reviews on another (repeat) thread, maybe some humor here.

I was going to start another new thread about this price increase, but decided to start one about the sale, but then I thought twice and decided one of those would be more than 7%, so I was going to ask about which nights my cruise will have formal nights, but then forgot to go get the tux and decided I need some wine and did not know if I could take it on, so I got some microwave popcorn and wanted to know if they will allow me to take our small microwave onboard if it fits through the scanner and will I be able to plug it in near my bed so I do not have to get up but then remembered I might have to get up so I can plug in my DVD player but not sure if that is PAL or NTSC and if I would blow a circuit when I plug in my CPAP but I forgot to get my distilled water and then I had to get my pink sweet n low stuff but I forgot what kind of soap they had onboard and would it impact my allergies but not sure where you can see all the menus cause on Tuesdays I like pasta and on Wed of our cruise we would want fish but then I lost track of what port we will be in and what side of the ship will be tied up to the pier so I will post an emergency request but I lost my password so I will call my friend onboard but I forget how much it will cost so I will email him and he has wireless so will he get it and while he is there maybe he can explain how to book a cruise in advance and which slot machine is paying out the most and what time is the poker tournament but then we might not go cause they changed the Cruise Director last week and do not know who will be there next year but never mind cause I have to buy lamination for my luggage tags and a stapler but before we do that I need to figure how in the world people get from the airport to the cruise terminal and what time can we get onboard and where can we eat and where do we sign up for the spa and the bingo and the pub crawl and what kind of ice do they serve and what is on the breakfast menue on thursday and then we need to book excursions and get travelers checks.

Oh forget it. Gonna go to bed.

Don't give it a second thought.

As sure as there will always be people posting questions that have already been answered, you can also bet on other people to have a field day while they taunt and act superior to those posters.

Only they think they are amusing.

Everyone else knows they are rude and condescending.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yep, sounds like the short man syndrome going on here at CC ;) Oh I will have fun with my smuggled liquor and wine, with or without GC or NEC's advice or approval!

• 4 years later...

NCL Alcohol Consumption Policy is not "clear".

First, it suggests that wine can be sent directly to the ship, which if true, would be more convenient that bringing wine on board... but even though their policy seems to allow this, I've been told that in fact you cannot send wine directly to the ship but have to carry it on board. So if anyone from NCL land frequents this Cruise Critic, what's the "deal"?... and if you cannot ship wine directly to the ship, the please change your policy to reflect same. If you can, than what is the "procedure"?

Next, what I've been told is that if you carry wine on board, you declare the wine, which is then "labelled" with your name. But it isn't clear whether or not NCL stores the wine for you or the wine is delivered to your room w/ your luggage or you have to pick it up somewhere on the ship. If NCL stores it for you, is it stored in a temperature controlled room/area. If you simply keep the wine in your room, then I assume you bring it to dinner, etc. and then you pay the corkage fee, i.e., you are charged a corkage fee for each bottle but you are refunded the fee for each bottle you do not consume on board- at least that is what I was told. But if NCL does not store the wine, then how do they know if you used/consumed all of the bottles?

btw, my wife and I will be sailing on the Pearl/Alaska Cruise embarking from Seattle on July 6 and returning to Seattle on July 13.

NCL Alcohol Consumption Policy is not "clear".

First, it suggests that wine can be sent directly to the ship, which if true, would be more convenient that bringing wine on board... but even though their policy seems to allow this, I've been told that in fact you cannot send wine directly to the ship but have to carry it on board. So if anyone from NCL land frequents this Cruise Critic, what's the "deal"?... and if you cannot ship wine directly to the ship, the please change your policy to reflect same. If you can, than what is the "procedure"?

Next, what I've been told is that if you carry wine on board, you declare the wine, which is then "labelled" with your name. But it isn't clear whether or not NCL stores the wine for you or the wine is delivered to your room w/ your luggage or you have to pick it up somewhere on the ship. If NCL stores it for you, is it stored in a temperature controlled room/area. If you simply keep the wine in your room, then I assume you bring it to dinner, etc. and then you pay the corkage fee, i.e., you are charged a corkage fee for each bottle but you are refunded the fee for each bottle you do not consume on board- at least that is what I was told. But if NCL does not store the wine, then how do they know if you used/consumed all of the bottles?

btw, my wife and I will be sailing on the Pearl/Alaska Cruise embarking from Seattle on July 6 and returning to Seattle on July 13.

NCL's policy is (I think) clearly listed on their website here:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

As for having wine sent to the ship, I think the wording "sent to the ship" is referring to delivery services that used to exist for TA's to send non-NCL gifts to their clients. There used to be (and still might be) companies, approved by the cruise lines, that could supply Bon Voyage gifts, and were often used by travel agents to send gifts to their clients. I believe that 9/11 and the laws that have followed have changed that drastically. I have heard of people having a case of wine delivered to the port, but the passenger, I think, still has to either check it in or carry it onboard (similar to checking your luggage on a flight, but less restrictive). I don't know the details nor have I ever tried this, but I *think* it can be done this way, and each bottle will be charged corkage fee.

As for the exact details of actually bringing and accessing your wine on board, this is where CC can be a big help, as many of us have experience here. When you carry your wine on board, you declare it (usually they will see it on x-ray and direct you to the table) and sign an onboard charge slip for $15 per bottle, and they will put a sticker on each of your bottles and give your your receipt for payment. Different embarkation ports handle this a bit differently, but it's basically the same process. Once your wine is stickered, you take it on board with you carrying it. You can then take it to your cabin, or you can have it chilled or stored if you wish (ask a bartender the process). If you store it, you will get a "receipt", similar to having a bottle of leftover wine stored after dinner. You would then show your "receipt" when you want it brought to you at a dining room or a bar.

If you decide to check a bag with your wine in it, it will likely be seen on x-ray and your bag will be brought to the "naughty room" instead of delivered to your cabin. You will then have to go there and wait in line to collect your bag, where they will go through it with you, and you will pay corkage fee at that time for any bottles of wine. Any other alcohol will be confiscated and either held for you ("checked", like luggage at a valet station) until the last night (if in an unopened bottle) or disposed of (if in an open bottle or other container). You then take your wine (and baggage) with you back to your cabin and can then have it stored or keep in your cabin as above. Once in a while a bag gets through without them noticing your wine, liquor, etc -but it seems to be caught more often than not.

The process is very similar if returning from a port stop with a bottle of wine or alcohol. If you have a bottle of wine, you have the option of paying the corkage fee, having it stickered, and bringing onboard - or you can have it "checked" until the last night of your cruise. If you bring liquor back, they will check it for you until the last night.

If you have full bottles of leftover wine at the end of the sailing, you can bring the bottles with the stickers on them and your original signed receipt to Guest Services and have them credit the corkage fees paid back to your onboard account.

The economics of "smuggling" are fairly clear as well. Every time liquor is brought onboard by the passenger and consumed instead if a ship-purchased product, it eats into the profit of the cruise line. Cruise lines earn the majority of their slim profit from onboard sales, and every dollar that is lost will be made up in some other way. Hence, corkage fees are charged to make up for the lost profit on wine.

Hope this is clear. :)

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Don't be sorry. That's what the boards are for and MOST of us don't mind at all.

Excellent question and suggestion.

I second that. Gives me a chance to share info. We were all new once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk