River Cruising - Sofabeds???

jaspersmommy

I have been looking at river cruises and require a stateroom with a sofabed. I have been on the websites of several river cruise companies and am having a difficult time finding any staterooms with sofabeds. Separating the beds into the two-twin configuration will not work for us (due to one very tall individual).

Can anyone tell me if they know of any companies/ships that offer staterooms with sofabeds? Hopefully, if there are any, they won't be in the lowest categories of staterooms.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:)

Since it is extremely rare - if possible at all - to find any accommodation for three people in one cabin on a river cruise, it is doubtful you will find one with a sofa bed as that would be a configuration normally provided for triple occupancy.

I have not seen one offered on any of the major cruise lines.

I'm also not aware of any companies that have cabins with sofa beds. When I was on Avalon, there were no foot boards on the beds. The new panorama class ships have the beds facing the windows, so there may be more room, but the person's feet would undoubtedly hang off. How tall are you talking?

You may want to consider booking a sailing where the single supplement is waived - ie: one person can have the whole stateroom to himself/herself and only pay the single fare, and then book two cabins, one for each of you.

These sailings of course will be off-peak times. Uniworld, Avalon, AMA and perhaps other lines offer these. Search for single supplement waived or solo travelers plus the river cruise line to find these sailings.

Edited by oysterdam

I just returned from a cruise with Vantage and from what I saw, only ONE cabin had a pull out sofa and that was the Owner's Suite. We did have a party of three who THOUGHT they were getting a twin double configuration with a pull out sofa when they booked a smaller suite and were very disappointed to find that the smaller suite only held two and the third person in their group had to take a single cabin on a lower level. I have no idea if they waived the single supplement and I have no idea why the booking went through for 3 people in a room that holds 2. But based on my experience, I would suspect that a single together with a double is going to be poster's best bet and I would certainly strongly suggest that single fee be waived since they are a party of three that cannot be accommodated any other way.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It is my husband and I that will be travelling, so two separate staterooms wouldn't be our first choice. I guess we could make it work if the single supplement were to be waived. I have a sleep disorder and one of us often ends up having to get up and go to the spare bed (not to mention the odd evening when hubby enjoys a few bevvies and snores!). So, we always book accommodations with a spare bed wherever we go. I will have our travel agent watch for itineraries where the single supplement is waived. Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated.

On Uniworld and in many of the European hotels there are 2 twin beds next to each other with separate linens on each bed. They do not have king nor queen beds.

It worked out so well that we bought a twin comforter and a twin lightweight blanket for our king-sized bed at home. One of us gets cold.

cb

On Uniworld and in many of the European hotels there are 2 twin beds next to each other with separate linens on each bed. They do not have king nor queen beds.

It worked out so well that we bought a twin comforter and a twin lightweight blanket for our king-sized bed at home. One of us gets cold.

cb

I know what you mean! When we had to replace our king we put twins on the frame and use king size sheets but we each have our own blanket!:D

I know what you mean! When we had to replace our king we put twins on the frame and use king size sheets but we each have our own blanket!:D

How to you keep the covers in place in the middle?

Where's that "like" button? Another vote for separate blankets, our bedding needs have changed so much over the years. My on and off blankets drove DH crazy during the hot flash years. LOL And we did get the idea during a trip to Europe, bought feather beds in Munich.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It is my husband and I that will be travelling, so two separate staterooms wouldn't be our first choice. I guess we could make it work if the single supplement were to be waived. I have a sleep disorder and one of us often ends up having to get up and go to the spare bed (not to mention the odd evening when hubby enjoys a few bevvies and snores!). So, we always book accommodations with a spare bed wherever we go. I will have our travel agent watch for itineraries where the single supplement is waived. Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated.

Have your TA look at Tauck. I remember speaking with a rep at a travel show who indicated they were looking at having sofa beds in some of their rooms on the new ships. A quick look at their website just now shows that Category 7 rooms (top category) in at least one of their new boats have sofa beds.

Good Luck!!

Fran

Edited by franski

You don't! You each have your own :)

I was referring to the earlier post that said "When we had to replace our king we put twins on the frame and use king size sheets but we each have our own blanket!" If you have king size sheets they go all the way across the two mattresses, so you can't tuck the blankets in in the middle.

If you tuck the blankets in at the foot, that would hold them in place. But do the blankets overlap in the middle, or hang down to the floor on the side? More crucially: we don't tuck our comforter in at the foot -- the large size of a Queen comforter is enough to hold it in place even when one of us flings it off. I'm picturing twin comforters sliding around and off the bed as the night goes on. Is this not a problem?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I was referring to the earlier post that said "When we had to replace our king we put twins on the frame and use king size sheets but we each have our own blanket!" If you have king size sheets they go all the way across the two mattresses, so you can't tuck the blankets in in the middle.

If you tuck the blankets in at the foot, that would hold them in place. But do the blankets overlap in the middle, or hang down to the floor on the side? More crucially: we don't tuck our comforter in at the foot -- the large size of a Queen comforter is enough to hold it in place even when one of us flings it off. I'm picturing twin comforters sliding around and off the bed as the night goes on. Is this not a problem?

We use king size bottom sheets and twin size duvet covers with down comforters inside. I don't tuck the duvet in at the bottom and I don't use top sheets, except in the summer time and then I use a king size top sheet. Neither one of us has a problem with the duvet slipping to the floor unless the one under it actually pushes it off the bed. Trust me, it really works! You can actually purchase a conversion kit that fits between the two beds for those who like to spoon and don't want to get trapped between two beds!!! Of course those people would not want separate sheets or blankets, would they? :D

We use king size bottom sheets and twin size duvet covers with down comforters inside. I don't tuck the duvet in at the bottom and I don't use top sheets, except in the summer time and then I use a king size top sheet. Neither one of us has a problem with the duvet slipping to the floor unless the one under it actually pushes it off the bed. Trust me, it really works! You can actually purchase a conversion kit that fits between the two beds for those who like to spoon and don't want to get trapped between two beds!!! Of course those people would not want separate sheets or blankets, would they? :D

Thanks. To your last question: yes -- and I guess if we are successfully cohabiting in a mere Queen size bed this separate blanket idea is a solution in search of a problem for us!

Thanks. To your last question: yes -- and I guess if we are successfully cohabiting in a mere Queen size bed this separate blanket idea is a solution in search of a problem for us!

ROTFLOL!!! I think we should return to travel talk now.

One last thought:

A California king is narrower, but longer, than an Eastern king, so we can't do 2 twin mattresses on one frame.

We overlap the blankets/comforters in the middle of the bed.

cb

Edited by cb222

One last thought:

A California king is narrower, but longer, than an Eastern king, so we can't do 2 twin mattresses on one frame.

We overlap the blankets/comforters in the middle of the bed.

cb

There just has to be a smart NY comeback here somewhere!!! Give me a minute! :D

Have your TA look at Tauck. I remember speaking with a rep at a travel show who indicated they were looking at having sofa beds in some of their rooms on the new ships. A quick look at their website just now shows that Category 7 rooms (top category) in at least one of their new boats have sofa beds.

Good Luck!!

Fran

Thank you very much Fran for the very helpful info! Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...