Bergen Questions Answered 2017

Thank you so much. It does look like we might enjoy hardangerfjord a bit more.

Our ship is in port until 7:00 pm so the return time for hardangerfjord works, but I am nervous about the departure time. Our ship (ncl Jade) arrives at 8:00 am and the fjord tour leaves at 8:50. Not much time for error.

The cruise to osterfjord has no rushing around at all. Leaves mid day and would leave plenty of time for Bergen.

Such decisions. You are a dear for this thread- thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be in Bergen on the princess crown. It looks like we will dock at Bontelabo 2. We are only in port from 7am-2pm. We are very active and able. Do you have any suggestions for our short time in port? I was hoping for a fjord tour, but I think our time is too short

We are spending a few days in Bergen before our cruise. Was hoping to do some shopping on our last day there, but I just realized that day is a Sunday (in June). Will any of the Bryggen stores be open? Any suggestions for places to look for nice Norwegian sweaters? I had thought about taking the train to Dale but it doesn't seem to be open on Sunday's.

Thank you so much. It does look like we might enjoy hardangerfjord a bit more.

Our ship is in port until 7:00 pm so the return time for hardangerfjord works, but I am nervous about the departure time. Our ship (ncl Jade) arrives at 8:00 am and the fjord tour leaves at 8:50. Not much time for error.

The cruise to osterfjord has no rushing around at all. Leaves mid day and would leave plenty of time for Bergen.

Such decisions. You are a dear for this thread- thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeek! That's a very tight connection. If you let me know the date your ship is coming in I can see which dock you'll be at...this could swing it by a good few minutes, depending on whether you need to take a shuttle bus out of your dock area or can just walk around to the fjord cruise from your ship :)

We will be in Bergen on the princess crown. It looks like we will dock at Bontelabo 2. We are only in port from 7am-2pm. We are very active and able. Do you have any suggestions for our short time in port? I was hoping for a fjord tour, but I think our time is too short

Even with your shorter stay you should be able to make the most of the city. If you're active then I'd say walking up Mt. Fløyen is a definite first activity (there's more info in the previous posts in this thread). Once up there I would recommend either continuing on one of the footpaths for a longer mountain walk, or heading back down into town (the round-trip up and down Fløyen will take around 90 minutes on foot) to see some other things in town.

I understand there are some shorter fjord tours available (around 3 hrs) so it my well be possible for you to 'have it all' :) There is loads of info on the Visit Bergen website regarding fjord tours. Have a great trip!

We are spending a few days in Bergen before our cruise. Was hoping to do some shopping on our last day there, but I just realized that day is a Sunday (in June). Will any of the Bryggen stores be open? Any suggestions for places to look for nice Norwegian sweaters? I had thought about taking the train to Dale but it doesn't seem to be open on Sunday's.

Many of the tourist shops along Bryggen will be open, even on a sunday, and several of these stock 'proper' Norwegian sweaters (just be prepared for the price!). If you do get the chance to shop earlier in your trip you may find yourself with a bit more choice :)

Even with your shorter stay you should be able to make the most of the city. If you're active then I'd say walking up Mt. Fløyen is a definite first activity (there's more info in the previous posts in this thread). Once up there I would recommend either continuing on one of the footpaths for a longer mountain walk, or heading back down into town (the round-trip up and down Fløyen will take around 90 minutes on foot) to see some other things in town.

I understand there are some shorter fjord tours available (around 3 hrs) so it my well be possible for you to 'have it all' :) There is loads of info on the Visit Bergen website regarding fjord tours. Have a great trip!

After 12 days on a cruise ship, I think hiking is a great idea. Would you mind telling me if where we are docking (Bontelabo 2) is close to the trail head for the hike? I can't seem to find where we are docked on a map. Also thank you for the info...I really appreciate your help!

After 12 days on a cruise ship, I think hiking is a great idea. Would you mind telling me if where we are docking (Bontelabo 2) is close to the trail head for the hike? I can't seem to find where we are docked on a map. Also thank you for the info...I really appreciate your help!

You're in luck...Bontelabo is very central :) It's only a 10 minute walk along the historic waterfront at Bryggen to the city centre, and the 'natural' starting point for a walk up Fløyen and beyond (start heading up the steep steps behind the ticket office for the 'Fløibanen' funicular and you're on your way).

When it comes to planning your walk, there are some great trail suggestions on the Fløyen website. I hope it's okay to post the link here (as far as I understand it's not a commercially run website, just a great local resource) http://floyen.no/en/walks-hikes-floyen/

Is it possible to get to Fantoft Stave Church on your own and how long does it take to get there from the cruise ships?

Yes, this is relatively easy - You need to get to Festplassen (the large open area by the octagonal lake in the centre of town). Here you will take the Bybane (light rail) to the stop 'Paradis'. This is roughly a 20 minute journey, Bybanen leaves every 10 minutes, and there is only one line, so you can't get on the wrong train by mistake :D. From the 'Paradis' stop it is gentle 10-15 minute walk to Fantoft Stave Church. It's probably easiest if you plan ahead and print out a map for this walk from google.

You need to buy a ticket from the automatic machines at the Bybane stop in Festplassen before you travel. The cost for an adult single trip is 37 NOK. A single ticket is valid for 90 minutes, so if you return within this time it will get you back to Bergen centre as well. There are also several multi-ticket/day pass options available; all explained in English on the touchscreen of the ticket machine.

If you let me know what ship you're on and what day you sail, I can tell you how best to get from your ship to the 'starting point' of festplassen :)

• Thanks 1

Yes, this is relatively easy - You need to get to Festplassen (the large open area by the octagonal lake in the centre of town). Here you will take the Bybane (light rail) to the stop 'Paradis'. This is roughly a 20 minute journey, Bybanen leaves every 10 minutes, and there is only one line, so you can't get on the wrong train by mistake :D. From the 'Paradis' stop it is gentle 10-15 minute walk to Fantoft Stave Church. It's probably easiest if you plan ahead and print out a map for this walk from google.

You need to buy a ticket from the automatic machines at the Bybane stop in Festplassen before you travel. The cost for an adult single trip is 37 NOK. A single ticket is valid for 90 minutes, so if you return within this time it will get you back to Bergen centre as well. There are also several multi-ticket/day pass options available; all explained in English on the touchscreen of the ticket machine.

If you let me know what ship you're on and what day you sail, I can tell you how best to get from your ship to the 'starting point' of festplassen :)

Thank you for the information. I was worried that it would take a long time. We will be on the Disney Magic.

Wow, what a great thread. Thank you so much for providing all of this detailed information.

We're not travelling until next July (2018), but I'm researching what we can do on our own versus doing ship's tours. We're in Bergen for a long day (0800-2300), and have an evening performance at Grieg Hall which no doubt will start after dinner.

But I'm thinking during the day we could just walk around Bergen. We are older, and my husband is not terribly energetic any more. He can certainly walk, but not far, and not up hills. Possibly a funicular ride in the mix would be nice, or the shorter fjord boat ride fof osterfjord, mentioned above. How feasible is it to just get off the boat and walk around, possibly taking buses when required? The medieval section for sure, the fish market? We're there on a Friday.

Thanks so much again, and look forward to asking more specific questions perhaps this winter!

We are arriving in Bergen on 29 June on the Crown. We love the idea of the hike up to Mt Floyen and walking around while up there. Is it far to where the hike starts from where we will be docked?

I want to add our thanks for this wonderful thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I'm going to be in Bergen 14/7, have checked the dock info & it seems we'll be @ Bontelabo 2,

is this one of the nearer or farther docks?

Looking at the maps etc. it seems we'll be fine just walking around by ourselves to the various sites. The ship docks @ 07.00 & we need to be back on board around 14.30, I'm assuming most places of interest won't open till 09.00 with the possible exception of the fish market ( I know Billingsgate in London opens @ 5am, but that's not exactly a tourist attraction!), so I think we may need to prioritise. I've tried going on trip adviser, but just seem to go round in circles, we'll almost certainly go to Bryggen, the fish market & on the funicular up Mt Floyen, plus I was also thinking or St Mary's or the cathedral & possibly the fort or Rosenkrantz tower. As we are a little limited on time & don't want to be rushing around, what would you suggest?

Thank you for the information. I was worried that it would take a long time. We will be on the Disney Magic.

Disney Magic is docking at Bontelabo (on 9th June 2017)...which is one of the 'easy' docks. It's a simple 10 minute walk along the waterfront to the starting point for your trip up Fløyen. There are signs as you leave the dock area pointing you in the right direction :)

Wow, what a great thread. Thank you so much for providing all of this detailed information.

We're not travelling until next July (2018), but I'm researching what we can do on our own versus doing ship's tours. We're in Bergen for a long day (0800-2300), and have an evening performance at Grieg Hall which no doubt will start after dinner.

But I'm thinking during the day we could just walk around Bergen. We are older, and my husband is not terribly energetic any more. He can certainly walk, but not far, and not up hills. Possibly a funicular ride in the mix would be nice, or the shorter fjord boat ride fof osterfjord, mentioned above. How feasible is it to just get off the boat and walk around, possibly taking buses when required? The medieval section for sure, the fish market? We're there on a Friday.

Thanks so much again, and look forward to asking more specific questions perhaps this winter!

It sounds like you've got a great plan in the making! Grieghallen is a wonderful concert hall.

One piece of advice I would give is that going DIY will give you so much more (both time and money) than doing a tour with your ship, especially if you're looking to explore Bergen itself.

With regard to the Osterfjord trip, I actually tried that out over the weekend as I had family visiting me in town, and it was a really great tour. I can't speak for how it compares to others, but I will be posting a full review on my blog soon, and would definitely recommend it :)

Any other questions, just fire away!

We are arriving in Bergen on 29 June on the Crown. We love the idea of the hike up to Mt Floyen and walking around while up there. Is it far to where the hike starts from where we will be docked?

I want to add our thanks for this wonderful thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi :) You will be docking at Jekteviksterminalen, which is just a little bit further away from the historic waterfront and Mt. Fløyen. It is in the same secure port area as Dokkskjæreskaien Vest, so to the best of my knowledge the below information that I posted previously will also apply to you :)

Hi :) You will be docking at Dokkskjæreskaien Vest, which is a little further from the city centre. There will be a shuttle bus to take you out of the main port area. I've read different accounts of exactly where this drops you off, but the 'worst' I've heard is still only around an 800m (half-mile) walk through town to the funicular stop. You should have no trouble locating this :) Even these 'futher away' cruise ship berths are very central in comparison to those in many other cities.

I hope you have a great visit to Bergen :D

We will be on the Koningsdam on July 20. Where will we be docking and will getting to the funicular and fish market be difficult from there?

You will be docking at Bontelabo, which is one of the more central berths. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the gangway to the historic waterfront, and another 5 minutes to the funicular station :)

Hi, I'm going to be in Bergen 14/7, have checked the dock info & it seems we'll be @ Bontelabo 2,

is this one of the nearer or farther docks?

Looking at the maps etc. it seems we'll be fine just walking around by ourselves to the various sites. The ship docks @ 07.00 & we need to be back on board around 14.30, I'm assuming most places of interest won't open till 09.00 with the possible exception of the fish market ( I know Billingsgate in London opens @ 5am, but that's not exactly a tourist attraction!), so I think we may need to prioritise. I've tried going on trip adviser, but just seem to go round in circles, we'll almost certainly go to Bryggen, the fish market & on the funicular up Mt Floyen, plus I was also thinking or St Mary's or the cathedral & possibly the fort or Rosenkrantz tower. As we are a little limited on time & don't want to be rushing around, what would you suggest?

Bontelabo is one of the nearer docks, which buys you a bit more time (no need for a shuttle bus, and you can guarantee that if you start walking from town at, say, 14:15, you'll be back on board by 14:30 :)

When it comes to recommendations, it's of course down to personal preference (and the weather on the day)! The city centre is relatively small, so it may well be possible to do everything you mention above without a mad panic. A stroll along Bryggen, a trip up and down Fløyen on the funicular and a browse at the fish market could all be done in a relaxing few hours, which gives you a couple of hours spare to take a look at the other places.

Good Afternoon,

We will be arriving via NCL Jade on July 2, 2017. Looks like we will be docked outside of the main area. We would like to visit the Stave Church as well as taking the cable car (depending on the weather). Is there a tourist map of Bergen that notes the different points of interest? Or is it possible for you to direct us? Thank you for your assistance

We were in Bergen several years ago and took the special bus to Mt Ulriken on a beautiful clear day. I see that they now have a zipline which looks interesting but I cannot see past the bottom of the zipline . Does one have to back up the mountain from there?

Also, we will be there on 17 August on Holland America Rotterdam. Do you know where that one docks?

Thank you so much for your help