Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

What is your definition of "reasonable"?

I am looking for a reasonable price hotel near the center/old town of Stockholm for 2 nights in August. I have seen several posts with recommendations, but I am shocked at the rates. Nothing fancy, just clean and not too run down. Any help would be appreciated.

This is a pre-cruise stay. Thanks.

I can definitely recommend the walk from the bus stop at Tjärhovsplan down to the ship at Stadsgården.

From the bus stop cross the street and walk a few steps back towards the sea. There is a small staircase up to Fjällgatan, one of the most charming streets we have in Stockholm. On one side there are very nice old houses and on the other a great view over Stockholm. At the end of Fjällgatan turn right down Erstagatan to Folkungagatan, where you turn left. This street will take you down towards the ship.

Here is a map of the recommended walk down: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&t=h&z=15

If we decide to do this walk from the ship to the Tjärhovsplan bus stop, can we expect to find a Pressbyran newstand where we can purchase bus tickets?

Also thank you Chris58 for your reply.

We wil be staying two days post cruise in Stockholm. I would like to stay at a hotel that is within walking distance to the Vassa museum and other top sites. I would like it to be fairly inexpensive with rooms large enoiugh to acommodate a couple comfortably and include a decent size breakfast to boot. I know I am asking a lot, but who0 knows?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

We are staying pre-Cruise at the First Hotel Reisen right in the Gamla Stan where we can walk everywhere. It is on the water and just across from the Vasa. We thought it was reasonable for Sweden and its location..check it out.

Sherry

Hi! Check out the sites www.booking.com and www.hotels.com and tripadvisor. /chris58

Do you know anything about the Kungsbron Hotel? Another couple we know is staying there and have put a room for us on hold.

They do not have very much info about this hotel, where its located, how far from the Vasa, old town. Any help would be appreciated.

Charliebeth

We are staying pre-Cruise at the First Hotel Reisen right in the Gamla Stan where we can walk everywhere. It is on the water and just across from the Vasa. We thought it was reasonable for Sweden and its location..check it out.

Sherry

As the crow flys Hotel Reisen may be "just across from the Vasa" but I would not call it a short walk by any means. The thing about Stockholm is all the islands. The Reisen is fairly close to the Djurgården ferry though and that lets you off pretty close to the Vasa/Skansen/Nordiska museum/Aquarium, Gröna Lund etc etc. but walking will take some doing.

Bus 76 also runs right in front of the hotel and that is another good way to get to Djurgården.

Have fun,

Al

We were disappointed to learn that Kungsträdgården metro station will be closed for repairs during our visit as we had planned to view the art there.

Can anyone offer information on Rådhuset and T-Centralen stations? We have seen photos of the art there and would very much like to see them.

However are they easily accessible? Will we need to buy metro tickets to see the art?

Thank you for all of your help!

After talking things over my wife and I decided our hotel situationrequires something a little different. We will be getting off the ship on 8/19. From there i would like a place we could walk to with our luggage. Then on Sunday we will be catching a 9:30 AM flight. So if possible we would also need a hotel close to the airport express train. Would this be possible? And if so what hotels would you recommend?

Hi,

Mary Lou and I will be at the same hotel-- see y'all there we also would like to walk toi the shuttle Lynn Crandall

Then at the end of the cruise on7/28 we will be going to the Radisson Blu Arlandia hotel at the airport.. do you know where we dock then? Should we pre-book a taxi with TaxiStockholm or is there easy transport to the airport and we can walk or shuttle to the hotel from there.

Thank you! There will be 4 of us..are the taxis big enough for 4 with bags or do we need two taxis?

Sherry

We were disappointed to learn that Kungsträdgården metro station will be closed for repairs during our visit as we had planned to view the art there.

Can anyone offer information on Rådhuset and T-Centralen stations? We have seen photos of the art there and would very much like to see them.

However are they easily accessible? Will we need to buy metro tickets to see the art?

Thank you for all of your help!

Hi, Yes, you need tickets for seeing the art. T-centralen is the big centralstation. Station Rådhuset is closed for the moment just as Kungsträdgården. Ask about the art in almost all travelcentras for the metro. I like Stadion and University stations a lot. (12 min from the T-centralen.) check out the website http://www.sl.se /chris58

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Many thanks for a great thread, I've enjoyed reading through it and getting lots of info, but not quite what I'm looking for.

We're doing a B2B on Vision of the Seas from Stockholm in a couple of weeks and would like to visit the Hard Rock Cafe. The ship will dock at Frihammen but I'm not sure of the best way to get to the HRC, its located at Sveavagen 75 (sorry if its spelled wrong). Could you recommend the easiest way to get there and back, with approximate costs if possible.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Pam

Hi

Many thanks for a great thread, I've enjoyed reading through it and getting lots of info, but not quite what I'm looking for.

We're doing a B2B on Vision of the Seas from Stockholm in a couple of weeks and would like to visit the Hard Rock Cafe. The ship will dock at Frihammen but I'm not sure of the best way to get to the HRC, its located at Sveavagen 75 (sorry if its spelled wrong). Could you recommend the easiest way to get there and back, with approximate costs if possible.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Pam

Hi! Check out the webside http://www.sl.se (Buses, underground in Stockholm.) They have an english version. You will go from Frihamnen and the closest station to HRC is Underground Radmansgatan (exit library ). There you will also get info about the cost. Closest Underground to Frihamnen is Gardet. Approx 20min fast walk from the ship. Awfully expensive to buy tickets cash. But in most tiny small stores close to lots of stations PRESSBYRÅN you can prebuy tickets. Hope I could help you a little. Have a good trip. /Chris58

You will go from Frihamnen and the closest station to HRC is Underground Radmansgatan (exit library ). There you will also get info about the cost. Closest Underground to Frihamnen is Gardet. Approx 20min fast walk from the ship.

You'll have to change from the red to green line att subway station "T-Centralen" but the tracks on that station are laid out for just cases like this. Just walk to the opposite side of the platform to get to the correct train.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I will be arriving in Stockholm Arlanda from Singapore on 30 June 2012 at 8am and my Vision of the Seas (RCI) will be departing at 5pm. Was informed that the pier terminal is call Frihamnen Pier...would like to know is there any nearby sightseeing or shopping nearby the area?

Saturnz, Frihamnen port is in a port area with mainly business buildings around. Very little of interest for sightseeing and shopping. But there is a bus stop near where the ship will be docked where you could catch bus 76 to go to more interesting places. Here is a link to a map where you can see the dock and the main attractoins: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.327936,18.099461&spn=0.051315,0.117073

But are you sure you want to arrive the same day? I live in Stockholm and most of the time when I cruise it invoves long flights. I always plan to arrive at least one day before. The reason is that so often there are delays and missed connections. I would just hate to arrive when the ship has left. In fact my next cruise is from Singapore and I am just now looking at booking a hotel for two nights pre-cruise. I would never feel safe arriving the same day and it is nice to have some time to relax and get into the new time zone before the cruise starts.

Of course I realise you can may have limited time to travel. And if you have a direct flight from Singapore to Stockholm the risc is more limited.

Saturnz, Frihamnen port is in a port area with mainly business buildings around. Very little of interest for sightseeing and shopping. But there is a bus stop near where the ship will be docked where you could catch bus 76 to go to more interesting places. Here is a link to a map where you can see the dock and the main attractoins: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.327936,18.099461&spn=0.051315,0.117073

But are you sure you want to arrive the same day? I live in Stockholm and most of the time when I cruise it invoves long flights. I always plan to arrive at least one day before. The reason is that so often there are delays and missed connections. I would just hate to arrive when the ship has left. In fact my next cruise is from Singapore and I am just now looking at booking a hotel for two nights pre-cruise. I would never feel safe arriving the same day and it is nice to have some time to relax and get into the new time zone before the cruise starts.

Of course I realise you can may have limited time to travel. And if you have a direct flight from Singapore to Stockholm the risc is more limited.

Hi north-bound, thank you for your advise. How much does it cost and how long is the bus ride if i take bus no.76 from the bus stop?

Can you also guide me on how do i travel to Frimhamnen from Arlanda Airport? Expensive to take cab? Do they except Swedish Krona only?

Hmm..yeah..i think i will be arriving on the same day...will be taking Finnair from Singapore and transit at Helsinki, transit time there is 1.5 hours and flight duration from Helsinki to Stockholm is about an hour, therefore will arrive at 8am. I guess there is still sufficient time right since the departure time is at 5pm, what do you think?

• 3 months later...

I literally just finished reading the entire 44 pages, woooh my head is spinning. Hope I can remember all my questions:

We will dock S167 Stadsgarden on May 20th Norwegian Sun.

Is it true for 2012 bus 76 doesnt run on Sundays? Are there any alternative bus number we can take other than the HOHO boat?

If we take the taxi instead to Vasa do you have an idea of approximate cost? I want to get an idea before emailing the taxi Al recommended on the thread.

Can you also confirm that changing of the guard on Sundays is at 1:30pm and last but not the least Do you know of a catholic church close to Gamla Stan? We would like to attend a regular mass if possible.

Hope I get an answer from our Stocholm experts since it has been a while since the last thread.

Thank you all!.

Do you know of a catholic church close to Gamla Stan? We would like to attend a regular mass if possible.

Folkungagatan 46

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkatolskadomkyrkan.se%2F

Kungträdgårdsgatan 12

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sanktaeugenia.se%2Findex.php

Edited by Ultima Thule

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi -

We'll be arriving in Stockholm on a Thursday and are scheduled to dock at Frihamnen. We plan on taking a taxi to the Vasa Museum, then the ferry to Gamla Stan. My question is: Is there a ticket kiosk or tourist place on Gamla Stan than I can purchase a bus ticket for bus #76 to get back to Frihamnen?

Thanks for any help.