Where is the best place to snokel in Tortola?

lucy2mb

We will be leaving on our cruise in a few weeks. There are 8 of us going and 6 want to go snorkeling. Where is the best place to snorkel in Tortola and what is the best way to get there-a private company or should we take a taxi? I appreciate any suggestions you can give me. :)

Definitely Smuggler's Cove for the best snorkeling and the most gorgeous, natural beach. Patricia had a grill there up until recently but because several vendors (all unlicensed) were coming in the gov't threw them all out. So you will want to stop by a grocery store and grab a disposable cooler (if you don't have a folded cooler) and drinks and a sub. You'll probably also need snorkel gear as well I'm afraid...

No real facilities at Smuggler's, just portapotties. But that's a small price to pay for a beautiful, uncrowded beach.

Brewer's Bay is another option and there is a small bar there and snorkeling is possible. But I would opt for Smuggler's for the beauty and location. You also pass the Long Bay Resort right before Smuggler's, Long Bay is not a snorkel spot but is a beautiful, long beach worth stopping at.

Edited by blue_water

I can't answer that, sorry, perhaps someone else has rented gear in RT. I know you can buy it there at various stores if need be. I would ask that question on the BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com). That's a great resource for Tortola. You can ask a question without registering if you want, just explain your desire to go to Smuggler's but need snorkel gear.

Note that Nigel was renting snorkel gear there but if all vendors have been booted out he probably isn't there anymore...

taxi from cruise dock, $24pp roundtrip for 3 or more, $32pp I believe for 2 ppl. 30 - 40 min ride.

For Antigua our favorite excursion is the Excellence catamaran. Gorgeous cat with excellent crew, you hit Green Cay I think for great snorkeling with turtles and fish, then cruise Antigua's beautiful coast and go through English Harbor. Excellent day! Usually offered through the cruise ship (at least Carnival and RCCL).

I need a vacation now-I was looking under Tortola instead of Antigua. I just went back and found the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel excursion in Antigua for $59. Is that the one you are talking about?

For Carnival it is the "See Antigua by Sea" excursion for $99pp. Just a great day whether you snorkel or not. Carnival gives a description of the excellent itinerary and a picture of the cat, + you go by Long Island past Oprah's home and also by Eric Clapton's new compound. Book early!

Have you ever done the Catamaran, Sail and Snorkel in Antigua? There are 5 of us in our family and it is only $59 p/p. I am sure the one for $99 is great-just need to save a little money. Thanks for your help!!!

Is Brewer's Bay closer to the port than Smuggler's cove in Tortola? I want to find the very best place to go with good prices for everyone. If you think Smuggler's cove is a lot better for snorkeling, I will plan on that-just wish they had restrooms in a store.

Brewer's is a little closer I guess, but yes Smuggler's is the best option for snorkeling. I have to say I would go to Smuggler's, just too bad Patricia's grill is no longer as that was perfect...

Edited by blue_water

Definitely Smuggler's Cove for the best snorkeling and the most gorgeous, natural beach. Patricia had a grill there up until recently but because several vendors (all unlicensed) were coming in the gov't threw them all out. So you will want to stop by a grocery store and grab a disposable cooler (if you don't have a folded cooler) and drinks and a sub. You'll probably also need snorkel gear as well I'm afraid...

No real facilities at Smuggler's, just portapotties. But that's a small price to pay for a beautiful, uncrowded beach.

Brewer's Bay is another option and there is a small bar there and snorkeling is possible. But I would opt for Smuggler's for the beauty and location. You also pass the Long Bay Resort right before Smuggler's, Long Bay is not a snorkel spot but is a beautiful, long beach worth stopping at.

That's a shame about Patricia's. We had lunch there in January. Smugglers Cove is a beautiful beach, and we enjoyed our day there.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have another question for you...as you seem to be the expert of Tortola. Can one walk from Long Bay resort to Smuggler's? Thank you.

Lydia

Hi, I have another question for you...as you seem to be the expert of Tortola. Can one walk from Long Bay resort to Smuggler's? Thank you.

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I am just a lover of Tortola! :)

To answer your question on whether SC or BB offers better snorkeling, most would recommend SC, but that is also because we all love it being more secluded and it sees less visitors. Because BB is more accessible to day visitors you'll find other threads here describing where to go out there. If you want to snorkel AND enjoy a less busy spot then SC is it.

Sorry I'm not more helpful!:

The bumpy road is walkable from SC back to Long Bay if you're in decent shape but it's a good walk, have only driven it and can't recall the distance, probably less than a mile. It would be a nice day with a Jeep rental!

Hi Lydia,

I am just a lover of Tortola! :)

To answer your question on whether SC or BB offers better snorkeling, most would recommend SC, but that is also because we all love it being more secluded and it sees less visitors. Because BB is more accessible to day visitors you'll find other threads here describing where to go out there. If you want to snorkel AND enjoy a less busy spot then SC is it.

Sorry I'm not more helpful!:

The bumpy road is walkable from SC back to Long Bay if you're in decent shape but it's a good walk, have only driven it and can't recall the distance, probably less than a mile. It would be a nice day with a Jeep rental!

Thank you so much Blue Water for your advice and information. Sounds like the way to go is to rent a Jeep and drive to SC. Do you go to Tortola often? We are going on a cruise but it sounds like the kind of place you want to visit and stay for a couple of weeks.

Lydia

Tortola is definitely a great destination for a land vacation with Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, and even Anegada close enough for fun day trips. You can fly right into EIS (Tortola) or into STT and ferry over. The ferry from STT works best for most folks. The direct flight into Tortola usually requires an extra layover in San Juan or somewhere else and also costs quite a bit more.

Take a look at trip reports on tripadvisor and TTOL (traveltalkonline) to get a feel for both Tortola and VG.

Renting a car is an excellent way to experience Tortola on a cruise stop and that will give you a feel for the island to see if you might like to return. There is alot more of the island to see, but the drive from Road Town along the coast to the West End and over Zion Hill Rd is very easy, and you pass by Bomba's Shack and the Long Bay Resort on the way to Smuggler.s For a nice lunch, if time allows the French deli in Wickhams Cay II has wonderful imported food, their baguette subs are amazing for a beach picnic.

http://www.labaguettebvi.com/

Tortola is definitely a great destination for a land vacation with Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, and even Anegada close enough for fun day trips. You can fly right into EIS (Tortola) or into STT and ferry over. The ferry from STT works best for most folks. The direct flight into Tortola usually requires an extra layover in San Juan or somewhere else and also costs quite a bit more.

Take a look at trip reports on tripadvisor and TTOL (traveltalkonline) to get a feel for both Tortola and VG.

Renting a car is an excellent way to experience Tortola on a cruise stop and that will give you a feel for the island to see if you might like to return. There is alot more of the island to see, but the drive from Road Town along the coast to the West End and over Zion Hill Rd is very easy, and you pass by Bomba's Shack and the Long Bay Resort on the way to Smuggler.s For a nice lunch, if time allows the French deli in Wickhams Cay II has wonderful imported food, their baguette subs are amazing for a beach picnic.

http://www.labaguettebvi.com/

Sounds absolutely delightful. I can see the advantages of renting a Jeep and just exploring after a couple of hours snorkeling. I appreciate all the time and effort you provided about Tortola. I hope you get to return soon. It sounds like you love Tortola.