How many Oceania cruise directors are there?

TexEm

And what are they like? And how do you find out which one will be on a particular sailing? We'll be on the Regatta canal transit December 5th, and have quite a few sea days, so who the CD is may be more important than on a port intensive cruise.

I searched previous threads and didn't find any good answers. i realize the CDs' schedules are subject to change. Although I also realize a lot of people don't care who their CD is, I'm curious. It won't make or break our cruise.

Thanks!

Several ;)

Ones I can think of are

Leslie Jon

Willie Aames

Dottie ( on sick leave)

Nolan Dean

Maybe other will have more names

You usually find out in the Cruise Personalizer you receive about 5-6 wks prior to the cruise

You probably don't want to hear from me (!) because we don't generally care who the CD is. We really don't use them.

But as to the basic question -- obviously, they have to have enough CDs to cover 5 ships. And their contracts are not for forever, so there are backups. One CD completes a contract, takes vacation and is replaced by another. Then that first CD comes back, maybe to the same ship, maybe not. I have no idea how long the CD's contract is for. I've heard that regular crew is on the order of 6 months, but officers and probably the CD have a shorter term.

Regular passengers DO have their favorite CDs.

To find out who will be your CD on a December cruise, you probably should ask closer to your cruise. And you might go to the Roll Calls prior to your cruise to see who the CD is there. Obviously, you will limit yourself to Regatta's roll calls in October-November!

Hopefully someone else has better information than I do on this score.

Mura

It IS possible to find out the answer to your question, but this may be too soon for a December cruise.

The number of Cruise Directors is sure to be increasing, because when the Insignia returns to the fold, Oceania will be operating more ships than ever before.

Approximately six to eight weeks before your particular voyage you will receive a personalized Cruise Booklet which lists the Senior Hotel Staff and Ships Officers.

The Cruise Director is one of those listed.

You probably don't want to hear from me (!) because we don't generally care who the CD is. We really don't use them.

Mura

And here I thought we were the only one who didn't care who they were because we never said more that hello or good by to them..;)

I agree, I don't really care WHO is the CD, only that they are competent, since they are responsible for managing the entire entertainment end of the cruise.

Having only met Leslie, Willie and Nolan, I certainly don't have personal experience with all the O CD's. However, within my experience they are all gregarious, competent, dedicated, high energy folks who work their hearts out in their jobs. Certainly they are very different from one another, but all are a pleasure to sail with. I would be happy to sail with any of them again, and from what I've read on other threads many feel the same about the others mentioned above as well.

Roy (Perez?) was promoted from asst cruise director while we were on the Riviera in March. Don't know which ship he is on now, but he is great!

There was a discussion about him a few weeks that inferred that he was no longer with Oceania. It pointed out he is now with this organization;

http://hotelcubalibre.com/7.html

Mura

And here I thought we were the only one who didn't care who they were because we never said more that hello or good by to them..;)

There are some very good CDs and some good CDs, and as was mentioned all are different. We sailed with most of them and usually the people who play Trivia are the most interested in the CD - they all do exceptional jobs with very long hours and I've found everyone of them takes time to talk with a passenger. Arlene;)

Roy (Perez?) was promoted from asst cruise director while we were on the Riviera in March. Don't know which ship he is on now, but he is great!

We had Roy this month on Marina. However, I think our cruise was the end of his contract. I don't mean he was necessarily leaving Oceania. I really don't know. I assumed he was taking vacation.

Mura

And here, I thought all along the the captain, cruise director and officers had spent many long hours and years dreaming and contemplating of meeting me at long last to fulfill their empty:cool: lives.

We are currently on the Regatta (with free unlimited Internet and a missed port day---thus I am filling in time before trivia). Our cruise director is David Peterson. He is great but he goes on vacation December 5. I'll ask him who his replacement will be.

Arlene---I think you would really like David. His trivia sessions are fun. Each day, he has a focus. Yesterday, it was history. Today, it is going to be art and literature.

Sometimes, Margaret Lynn fills in for vacationing cruise directors. Her regular position is assistant cruise director.

BTW, we are on a Panama Canal cruise from San Francisco to New York City---in hurricane season!!!

Edited by Senior Citizen

Thanks, everyone, for all your input. Sounds like Oceania has a good group of CDs.

Thanks, Senior Citizen, for asking David Peterson who his replacement will be. Sorry to hear about the missed port--didn't you just start your cruise Thursday? The only ports I've missed were on a SF to FLL Panama Canal cruise one October, when 2 hurricanes hit Puerto Vallarta at the same time--we spent extra time in Acapulco--so I share your pain.

TexEm---David's replacement Dec. 5 will be Nolan Dean.

Yes, we did start this cruise on Thursday in San Francisco. Cabo was our first port but Tropical Storm/Depression Ivo was heading there at the same time. So, the rough seas would make tendering very dangerous-if not impossible. The good news is that we get an extra 4 hours in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow which I like lots more than Cabo.

Our team came in first today at trivia. Besides the three Big O points, each member of our team won a small Russian toy, a wooden duck. Gifts from David.

Unless her plans have changed, Dottie was going to accompany Tom Drake as a guest on the Sep't. 5th Riviera cruise from Venice to Barcelona.

Wiks

Any idea who will be the CD on Riviera in Nov?