2014 Cruise Brides!!

Bo59rt

I'm a 2013 bride, but I think I might be able to contribute to a couple of your questions.

Ok, probably a stupid question but here goes.... Who pays for the cruise when the wedding is on a cruise?? Each cabin I mean ??

It depends on the couple, their budget and whether or not they really want their nearest and dearest on vacation with them. We made the determination early on, even when we were having an embarkation wedding, that we wanted our families and friends to cruise with us and would pay accordingly. We covered the cruise fare for our parents, siblings, their spouses and their children. We put them up in obstructed view balconies and gave them the option to upgrade on their dimes (no one did). Our friends were invited, but paid for themselves. We booked 18 months out in order to lock in [ridiculously] low rates, book cabins together, give plenty of notice for our guests, and for people to plan vacation days. In the end 17 of us booked and 13 actually boarded the ship. We viewed it as family vacation and went on our Honeymoon a month later.

By the way if anyone of you have your wedding website page set up could I see it. I am stuck on ours!

Ours is still active and I don't mind sending you the link. Just e-mail me at kitty.cruiser at yahoo dot com.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Well, after 10 years of dating and six cruises together, we are finally getting married and have decided to do so aboard a Celebrity cruise next February.

I am looking forward to the big event and our life together I have to say that all of the details especially the dress and etc that I am a bit nervous.

Suggestions and calming drugs will be most welcome!

Donna

I am getting married onboard celebrity next February. What ship are you looking at?

I am getting married onboard celebrity next February. What ship are you looking at?

Hey there..will be probably be aboard the Silhoutte. We took that one this year and loved it. Also we have moved our wedding back home (more people could join us to celebrate) and so that we could do a wicked cruise.

What about you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Congratulations to everyone! We just booked our wedding on the RC Explorer of the Seas for the October 4, 2014 sailing. We are so excited! Already started gathering ideas, and we have 7 rooms booked already (a total of 14 adults and 6 kids). We have been dating for the past 2 and a half years, but we have known each other since I was a freshman in high school. So excited!

Colleen

Hi everyone!

Wow... I thought I was gettiing started too early. Not anymore! We are planning a cruise wedding for May 2014. I'm not sure which cruiseline yet, but we are definitely doing an Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle, WA! I live in Hawaii and spent many years in Florida, so I'm over the tropical stuff! I need a change of scenery!

I'm looking forward to this thread... I'm so hesitant about so many things involving the wedding. Most importantly, the service which will be provided by the cruise company and wedding planning company. I'm so afraid that once I get there they will be like, "well, this is what you get. Sorry if you don't like it". Oh well, I'm sure everything will work out.

Talk to everyone again soon! :p

Hey there..will be probably be aboard the Silhoutte. We took that one this year and loved it. Also we have moved our wedding back home (more people could join us to celebrate) and so that we could do a wicked cruise.

What about you?

We are onboard the reflection. The silhouette is an amazing ship, I was on if in August of 2011 and loved every minute!

Lol!!! Exactly! Thank you. I myself would love to get married on a ship, cruising is all I ever want to do! I was wondering though because I definitely can't afford to pay for all of those rooms! I wouldn't even if I could lol! The only thing is, after the wedding, you're stuck with all the family & people who come?? Lol!

Although it's true you are stuck with everyone, cruise ships are very large. You can easily enjoy the cruise and not even see anyone. Plus, when you stop in ports, you can do shore excursions alone. I plan to tell everyone they are pretty much on their own during the cruise, but I do want everyone to eat together at dinner time. Most cruises allow you to choose a time to eat and you eat at the same table every night, so I feel this will prevent my guests from feeling like I completely ditched them after the wedding. Besides, most of your guests will probably have their own significant others with them and will want their own time together ;)

Congrats on buying your dress!! Very exciting! I'm planning to start in a few months. I have no idea where to start!

On the planning front, we have sent most of our Save the Dates out. And our immediate families have booked their cabins. So far we have a total of 6 cabins (16 people) booked!

Well I thought you could PM but I guess not.....I will say it's a Stella York dress...I find almost her whole collection destination wedding appropriate. I won't divulge my style number though unless it's in private contract. Keeping this away from him for a year is going to be sooooooo tough!

my email is kimhinton87 at aol dot com if you would like to share! no big deal if not! I'm a little wedding dress obsessed at the moment! and it doesn't help that they are alllll beautiful. Everyone keeps saying, " you will know when you find it". Thus far I have loved every dress I have tried on, with the exception of two, that were dresses that someone else picked. (Hence the reason I don't invite more than my mom to go with me anymore)

Hi everyone!

Well our plans are that we will get married at a local register office a week before we cruise on the Azamara Quest and then we will have a vow renewal onboard, can't wait.... wish it was this year and not next year!

But I do get 2 weddings! :D

I am BRAND spankin new to this whole Cruise Critics thing and my fiancé and I have never cruised before (gasp!!) but we have decided to elope on a cruise, most likely just the two of us.

I'm here because we need ALLLLLL the help we can get. We are walking in really green, so we have little idea of what to expect. I will be researching cruise lines before we even choose where/when we are going.

Any help would be awesomely appreciated. We are looking at fall of 2014 (eeeek!!!)

I will be researching cruise lines before we even choose where/when we are going.

Congrats! Welcome to CC, you will get addicted to it. Few words of advice (IMHO), pick where you want to get married first. With eloping on a cruise you can pretty much get married in any gorgeous location you want. I would chose where; research their marriage license requirements; and then research what cruise lines/ships go to that port. That's what we did; we knew we HAVE to get married at St. Thomas. From there we picked our line/ship and sailing date.

Have Fun!!!

Congrats! Welcome to CC, you will get addicted to it. Few words of advice (IMHO), pick where you want to get married first. With eloping on a cruise you can pretty much get married in any gorgeous location you want. I would chose where; research their marriage license requirements; and then research what cruise lines/ships go to that port. That's what we did; we knew we HAVE to get married at St. Thomas. From there we picked our line/ship and sailing date.

Have Fun!!!

Why did you have to choose St. Thomas?

Why did you have to choose St. Thomas?

We went there on one of our cruises and fell in love with the island...just gorgeous. We also vowed that we had to get our families to try these awesome wings we had there :) it also happened to be the island that the ship we love was going to be at on the day we wanted to get married....April fools day!

Lots of random reasons and it all worked out to what we wanted so we knew it was right.

It's also US territory so the marriage licence is very easy to obtain. To each their own, you have a very nice opportunity to choose where ever you want since your not planning on inviting family. St Thomas doesn't need passports for travel incase any of our family wanted to fly down instead of cruise.

Sorry for the very random response, after reading it a couple of times it might make sense. I'm just so excited because everything is finally falling into place for us after a couple of rough planning months! Happy wedding cruise shopping!

We went there on one of our cruises and fell in love with the island...just gorgeous. We also vowed that we had to get our families to try these awesome wings we had there :) it also happened to be the island that the ship we love was going to be at on the day we wanted to get married....April fools day!

Lots of random reasons and it all worked out to what we wanted so we knew it was right.

It's also US territory so the marriage licence is very easy to obtain. To each their own, you have a very nice opportunity to choose where ever you want since your not planning on inviting family. St Thomas doesn't need passports for travel incase any of our family wanted to fly down instead of cruise.

Sorry for the very random response, after reading it a couple of times it might make sense. I'm just so excited because everything is finally falling into place for us after a couple of rough planning months! Happy wedding cruise shopping!

All of this is good information!

I'm so excited and I haven't even started planning so I can't even fathom how excited you are!

Hi y'all! I am a "mature" bride but still looking forward to our big day. We are going to have a party before our cruise and then the honeymoon aboard Celebrity.

Our wedding will be very small and the party that night will be very large and fun.

Looking forward to carrying our "cruise theme" and Italy into our party. I haven't found many ideas on "THE KNOT" ...maybe y'all might have a few.

BTW...we all have plenty of time but don't you wish it were sooner!!!

Take care!

Donna

Hi everyone! We are booking our April 5, 2014 wedding on the Paradise TODAY! :D I'm so excited! Right now were trying to narrow down our guest list because we're afraid we might have more than 50 non- sailing guests. Has anyone else had that problem? We're thinking of sending our STD / invites in "waves". First wave to go out in September to our must have guests, then the second in November after we can evaluate the number of sailing v non-sailing people attending. Anyone have thoughts on this?

There's so much to do and it's all so exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Serious question for you ladies (no judging please)

Since we are not having a formal wedding, do you think it's tacky to ask parents to help fund your trip and ask family to donate to the excursions/add-ons in lieu of gifts?

Both of our parents spent a good amount on sibling's weddings and we are trying to be considerate. Is it awful for us to think it would be unfair to have a small amount of help considering our wedding won't be running even a tenth of what our sibling's did?

Edited by Ruben&Lindsay

Serious question for you ladies (no judging please)

Since we are not having a formal wedding, do you think it's tacky to ask parents to help fund your trip and ask family to donate to the excursions/add-ons in lieu of gifts?

Both of our parents spent a good amount on sibling's weddings and we are trying to be considerate. Is it awful for us to think it would be unfair to have a small amount of help considering our wedding won't be running even a tenth of what our sibling's did?

IMO, (no post ever starts good with those three letters) ...Every situation is different. I'm blessed with my parents who are fully funding my wedding but they are very traditional. Seeing the cost different between one at home and on a cruise, i think they are happy with the choice. However, my parents are going and have invited every single person that could possibly be related to me. I think you said it was just going to be the two of you (which is absolutly fine and your choice). Pretty much what I'm trying to get at is do you feel comfortable asking for help when they arn't included by their own choice or yours? (and please if I am recalling information incorrectly tell me so, im just lazy and dont want to research what you said in another thread when I'm already typing a reply :rolleyes:)

I know i would not feel comfortable if i was "eloping" to ask my parents to help since I would be denying them the occasion, if you get my drift. I'm not trying to come off b*tchy about this its just my opinion if i was in that situation.

Now for the honeymoon expenses, I know Carnival has a honeymoon registry to have people help pay for things like drinks/excursions. I think there's no problem if people want to get you gifts, to direct them to that. Some people might not see that as a gift though; some people are traditional and want to get you a toaster or a salt shaker. :D

Congrats Realblonde and Tinkerbell!

Realblonde - There are many ideas in the wedding forum for themes and ideas. Italy would be awesome! I wanted to do a Med cruise for a honeymoon but Carnival pulled all ships out for 2014 :mad:.

Tinkerbell - Waves is a great idea! I didnt have to worry about non-sailing guests since im getting married at a port during the cruise. Our STD all went out at the same time but many people cannot make it (which we expected) so we are doing a lot of verbal "STD" invites to others by directing them to our website, and adding them to the list for formal invites if they are really intersted.

Thanks. Yeah, we're a little nervous about the non-sailing thing. We live in the area and so far have narrowed our guest list down to about 130. We have about 25 that we know for sure will sail, but that leaves a big gap. I think invites for co-workers and old friends will be going out later.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app