If you take AU notes to an NZ bank what ID is needed?

dizzy1948

If I take AU$ to an NZ bank what ID do I need? Do Princess keep your passports - would a copy do for the bank? any help would be appreciated

If not - where in Melbourne could I change some more AU to NZ? I already have some NZ - but I might want some more

Edited by dizzy1948

Why go to all that bother?

Most NZ banks are Australian, so all you do is put your card into an ATM and take out want you want/need.

Thanks for that - that is what I am doing - loaded up with enough NZ initially to get us by -bus, coffees etc - but grandson wants to be Mr Independent - so I thought I'd ask for him. I'll just tell him to use his card in the ATM's seeing as you have pointed out that NZ banks are Australian - didn't know that myself. We always use our card overseas - it's much easier -this is his first time using a card overseas - I think he thinks the machine might swallow it - and he won't get it back :eek::p

Edited by dizzy1948

You can pre order NZ currency from Commbank website .

Some NZ ATM's will accept Australian Bank ATM Cards and dispense NZ Currency .

ALWAYS take laminated copies of your photo ID pages of your Passport as ID Overseas and leave your Passport with Ships Purser or in room safe . Easy peasy !!! Drivesr licence will also do as ID in NZ.

If I take AU$ to an NZ bank what ID do I need? Do Princess keep your passports - would a copy do for the bank? any help would be appreciated

If not - where in Melbourne could I change some more AU to NZ? I already have some NZ - but I might want some more

Just out of interest, we were on a cruise in Auckland and had some AUD100 notes. The ship wouldn't accept AUD100 notes so we just took then to one of the banks near the port and they happily gave us AUD50 notes without any ID. Mind you we are not talking a lot money, just a couple of hundred.

Just out of interest, we were on a cruise in Auckland and had some AUD100 notes. The ship wouldn't accept AUD100 notes so we just took then to one of the banks near the port and they happily gave us AUD50 notes without any ID. Mind you we are not talking a lot money, just a couple of hundred.

Thanks guys - GS says he wants to go in a bank in a "foreign country" - don't ask - he already has some NZ currency - when he realized Melbourne banking was the same as Perth - he doesn't want to change any money there now.

I wish I'd never asked on the boards for him now :eek: I think he might need counselling (only joking) ;):p But thanks guys.

Actually Bronte makes a good point that is worth noting for any traveller....

Never take high denomination notes..

You will have trouble cashing them for small purchases.

That holds true for all currencies.

I can relate to that - had a few hundred pounds in 50 pound notes in the UK - my brother took them to his bank to change them down to 20 and 10 pound notes. I won't take a $100.00 note when I get cash out of the supermarket here.

Got small denomination for NZ - the rest I can get as and when - unlike GS :p