Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Can't imagine why so many complaints about homeless milling about. Unless it's recently changed, I've only seen a few & this is after walking around a bit last night & today. This is nothing compared to Seattle!

Trust me, the homeless are here. I visited Seattle last month and thought your d/w area was SO much cleaner than our d/t. I love Seattle!

Have a great cruise!

Yes there are a good number of homeless or street people in the downtown core - I live there and see them everyday - there are also a number of social housing buildings in the same core and often the residents of these buildings - mostly mentally challenged will be walking or lolling around the sidewalks and are often mistaken for homeless. While an eyesore they are more of a nuisance than a threat.

can we go yet - if you are staying at the Best Western on Drake and eat at the White Spot let us know of what you think of the food etc. I eat there at least twice a week.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I am sure they are here. But I was expecting a huge crowd to get through when coming or going from the hotel. When my folks & I would have dinner at a Japanese restaurant in pioneer square, it would involve walking through a group of 10 to 15 huddled right outside the door when leaving the restaurant. Mainly harmless, just inebriated & asking for cash. Any violence tends to target other street people.

We just had a late lunch at the white spot. Service was good, I had chicken currry (not the heart healthy one) but on black pearl pilaf instead of jasmine rice. They were nice enough to substitute the pilaf for me. It was fine, but I don't know why it won some sort of award like was noted on the menu. My son had the legendary burger with everything on it. He thought it was good.

We might have breakfast there tomorrow, not sure if we will try to get to chinatown tonight.

OK, did a search for L'Hermitage hotel and this thread comes up. I'm not willing to scroll through 177 pages :eek: to find any opinions.

Does anyone have experience with this hotel? How is the location? We have reserved the hotel for a decent AAA rate.

I have been in the hotel but never stayed overnight. It is a very nice boutique hotel, good reviews however I have always thought its location just a little out of the swim of things. That said the location is certainly safe and I am certain that you will enjoy the hotel.

It is a newer hotel built as part of a condo project - has retail and grocery stores adjacent - it is located just off of vibrant Robson street - no shortage of restaurant and eateries - it's a short taxi ride to the pier and well serviced by transit.

Cheers

Dennis

I did scroll down, but didn't find this question:

Can we use US dollars to buy a skytrain ticket? We are planning on using it to get from The Sutton Place Hotel to YVR.

As a newbie, I have to ask... anything important we should know about skytrain or YVR that's well known by local folks, but not out of towners:)?

Thank you Dennis-

AC

I did scroll down, but didn't find this question:

Can we use US dollars to buy a skytrain ticket? We are planning on using it to get from The Sutton Place Hotel to YVR.

As a newbie, I have to ask... anything important we should know about skytrain or YVR that's well known by local folks, but not out of towners:)?

Thank you Dennis-

AC

No, transit is one of the very few things in Vancouver that requires Canadian funds, however the fare machines do accept credit cards and most ATM cards.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Empire Landmark on Robson Street? I stayed there many years ago and liked the location but I wasn't sure if it would be a good choice at this time.

Well the location hasn't changed and like many hotel in Vancouver its rooms were freshened up for the 2012 Winter Olympics so if you were happy with it then I am sure that you will be happy this time. If anything Robson St. becomes more vibrant every year.

Good question, not knowing when you are here I plugged in a mid July date and saw their rack rate is $169 which is not a bad rate for that date. Hotwire currently has a 4* for $142 which after there booking fee would put it at about the same price point...but would improve you by at least a full*. I haven't checked their rates but I would likely choose the Blue Horizon over the Landmark.

No, transit is one of the very few things in Vancouver that requires Canadian funds, however the fare machines do accept credit cards and most ATM cards.

Opinions on whether we should bring some Canadian currency?

We'll be in Victoria for one day (cruise ship port) and staying in Vancouver 2 nights, departing from airport for return to U.S. Will need to use transportation.

We'll be in Victoria for one day (cruise ship port) and staying in Vancouver 2 nights, departing from airport for return to U.S. Will need to use transportation.

Just take what you need out of a bank machine when you arrive.

You will find that almost all retailers, services, and taxis in both Vancouver and Victoria will accept $US. If you were just in Canada for a few hours I would be inclined to say don't bother getting $CDN, however given the amount of time you are spending here you may find it convenient to get a little Canadian funds. One of the issues you could encounter is exchange rates, right now the the $CDN is worth 1.25 cents more than the $US but a merchant might charge you 5 cents exchange or more. Another thing you will find is that if you do use $US you will likely get your change in CDN. At the end of the day, it really comes down to a courtesy matter. :)

Yes, this has been dicussed in a number of threads if you do a search. Remember though if you do the Amtrac Bus it is a bus and not the train. Evidently there is only one train in either direction each day. So you may want to do some checking on priceing from other bus lines or shuttles. Here is a website that I have copied from the Port of Vancouver's web site: http://www.quickcoach.com/ and they will take you right to the cruise ship terminal thus saving cab fares when you get to Vancouver.

I belive they switched to two reaql trains a day. However the others are on a bus.

I belive they switched to two reaql trains a day. However the others are on a bus.

Wow, I am not sure you went back to find that post but, yes, they have been offering two trains in each directions for a couple of years now. However, late this winter they did remove some of the cars for maintenance and substituted cars that did not have business class available. Perhaps someone like Ut or Zephyr 17 can fill in the blank as to when these cars are expected back.

Wow, I am not sure you went back to find that post but, yes, they have been offering two trains in each directions for a couple of years now. However, late this winter they did remove some of the cars for maintenance and substituted cars that did not have business class available. Perhaps someone like Ut or Zephyr 17 can fill in the blank as to when these cars are expected back.

I did not go back. But have done the train between Vancouver and Seattle a couple of times over the years. Nice trip.

I did not go back. But have done the train between Vancouver and Seattle a couple of times over the years. Nice trip.

Sorry, that particular post of mine was #9 in this thread and was made on 2/27/08. That is more than 4 years ago and that is going back.

You will find that almost all retailers, services, and taxis in both Vancouver and Victoria will accept $US. If you were just in Canada for a few hours I would be inclined to say don't bother getting $CDN, however given the amount of time you are spending here you may find it convenient to get a little Canadian funds. One of the issues you could encounter is exchange rates, right now the the $CDN is worth 1.25 cents more than the $US but a merchant might charge you 5 cents exchange or more. Another thing you will find is that if you do use $US you will likely get your change in CDN. At the end of the day, it really comes down to a courtesy matter. :)

Thanks Putterdude and Scottbee. I researched and found that the cost to convert currency at home is about the same as an ATM fee, so I'll just get some in Vancouver at the bank machine and reduce the amount of cash I need to carry pre-BC. I would like to be courteous. :)

Thanks Putterdude and Scottbee. I researched and found that the cost to convert currency at home is about the same as an ATM fee, so I'll just get some in Vancouver at the bank machine and reduce the amount of cash I need to carry pre-BC. I would like to be courteous. :)

If you have any left over, just leave it in an envelope with my name on it at the front desk and I will look after it until you come back.:D

Hi,

This subject has probably already been discussed, but I do not feel like looking through all of the pages so am taking a short cut asking again.

We are taking a cruise on Princess departing from Canada Place and am wondering about available long term parking in that area. The last time we cruised out of Vancouver, we parked at a place that was a few blocks south of the pier and they bussed us to the pier, but I cant remember the name of the lot.

I am looking for any information.

Thanks,

Burtie

I believe the lot that you are referring to was just a bit east of Canada Place and was a surface lot. It is now closed and the parking is at Canada Place and operated by Vinci Parking...it is expensive, about $185 for a week.

If arriving a day before your cruise there are a couple of hotels that offer Stay & Park packages including the Hampton Inn on Robson St., Best Western - Downtown on Drake and the Coast Plaza on Denman & Comox.

Another alternative would be a hotel out by the airport. The Accent Hotel people operate properties both by the airport and in Burnaby that offer Stay & Park packages with a shuttle to the pier.

Last but not least you could park your car at the economy lot at the airport and catch the Canada Line into Waterfront Station which is about 3 blocks from Canada Place.

http://www.vinciparkcanadaplace.ca/