Dress code on river cruises

drewlin

Hi we are going on our first European river cruise with Emerald Waterways (Cologne to Budapest) in a few weeks and wonder if anyone can help me with the dress code. Normal dress will be informal but do not know what is expected on Captain's gala night. Will it be smart or formal? Grateful for any advice - thanks.

Have not been on Emerald but suspect it is much the same as the rest of the lines and have been on 7 river cruises.

It is nothing like Captain's Party on an ocean cruise. IME, 5-10% of men wore sportcoats, and less wore ties. Ladies added a bit of sparkle to their outfits. Slacks and pretty top IMO are fine. I sometimes wear a simple sweater dress (we travel in fall) on those 2 nights.

Only once did I see people dressed up as if they were on the ocean and they really stood out as overdone.

We just retuned from our third River Cruise so I will give you some info on what to wear. On a regular cruise ship we sailed the Med people dressed more formal River cruises more casual. I did bring a casual dress which I wore the last night of the cruise. For some reason people dress for the last night. I wore my black slacks twice with a nice top chunky jewelry . Hubby brought two Tommy Bahama shirts with nice pair of slacks. No need for a jacket but some men did wear sports jackets. No one cares just be comfortable..have a wonderful time you will:):) love it..

We have done 2 river cruises' date=' about 75% of the men wore jackets on the nights when it was the captains dinner night..[/quote']

Wow, that is very different from our experience on 7 river cruises with Avalon and AMA. We have never seen more than 10% of men in jackets except on New Year's Eve where it was closer to 25%.

We have done 2 river cruises' date=' about 75% of the men wore jackets on the nights when it was the captains dinner night..[/quote']

Totally the opposite on our b2b river cruise thru France... maybe 10% of men wore jackets... most just nice shirt, some with ties. About half the ladies wore dresses...about a third nice slacks with fancy top... Others just regular casual.

On our recent Viking cruise almost no one "dressed" up for dinner. Many evening people wore the same clothes that they had worn during the day, i.e. shorts, polo shirts, etc. that may be because we were often late getting back from bus trips.

Have a great next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Three river cruises on AMA and never seen this. I never took a jacket except a rain jacket that I would not ware to dinner.

Here are my thoughts on dress code. Been on 6 river cruises with Vantage. I would wear a sport coat and tie for the Captain's night and also for the farewell dinner. I feel comfortable doing that. I feel those two nights are special. Some get dressed up and others do not. What ever works for you. I remember one cruise where a younger man came in for dinner wearing a Tshirt with the arm holes almost down to his belt. He was told to go back to his cabin and change. Bravo for that steward. Willard

I bring a sport coat on all cruises because the dining rooms are often cold, but I usually pair it with a golf shirt. With the collar outside the sport coat it isn't too dressy, or with the golf shirt buttoned up and the collar inside it is almost a coat&tie outfit. Works for me on everything but "formal night," which thankfully river cruises don't have!

We were on Avalon Impression in July. No more than 5 men ever wore a jacket, 1 or 2 ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only been on 2 river cruises, both on Avalon, but sports jackets and fancy dress were pretty much nonexistent. A few men wore a jacket but they were the minority. I just wore slacks and nice tops, as did most women. Comfort and packing light is the key!

I think I'm the one with the big review mentioned here - link in my signature and also answered Janecambridge's question about dress here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43940710&postcount=19.

Short answer from the Evergreen pre-trip booklet "classy but not formal". In a dining room with 160 people, perhaps 2 wore jackets.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks to Ash and Leslie for this review, bookmarked ;)

http://www.amsterdamtobudapest.com/

We are hopefully going on our first river cruise on Emerald or any river line, next April.

I am about to ask a contentious question but would appreciate an answer if anyone knows.

Where do people who want a cigarette go when the top deck 'allowed' area is closed?

Many thanks

Yvonne

HugandPug;

On our Viking Long Boat Cruise last week, the sun deck was closed almost the entire trip. The crew allowed smoking on the small third level portal where one walks out the doors to depart the ship or to take the stairs up to the top sun deck.

Hope that helps!