WHY Indian Food ?

block

We sailed Celebrity last summer and loved all the Indian food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! :) Actually one night we tried whatever the regular vegetarian option on the menu was and it was so bland and boring we went straight back to ordering Indian every night.

My husband and I are vegetarians and part of what we like about cruising is we know we can always get tasty Indian vegetarian meals on the boat. When traveling on our own it can be difficult to find good veg-friendly restaurants.

We sailed Celebrity last summer and loved all the Indian food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! :) Actually one night we tried whatever the regular vegetarian option on the menu was and it was so bland and boring we went straight back to ordering Indian every night.

My husband and I are vegetarians and part of what we like about cruising is we know we can always get tasty Indian vegetarian meals on the boat. When traveling on our own it can be difficult to find good veg-friendly restaurants.

Aren't you ever tired of the same Indian vegetarian food, and never want to try something else?

I honestly got to say, as much as Iike Indian food, after a couple of days I am usually tired of it. The Nan(?) bread especially isn't my cup of tea at all...

And furthermore, some of the meals are just too spicy for me. :rolleyes:

You are not the only person who does not like Indian Food - but you may be surprised to learn that there are more than 1 BILLION people on this planet who quite like it.

LOL!

Yeah, if you don't like it, don't eat it! I don't recall seeing anyone shoving it down anyone's throat on any of the cruises I've been on.

I for one love traveling the world and that includes trying different foods. Quite frankly, I get a little tired of food that is "dumbed" down to the blandest palate, so as far as I am concerned, bring it on!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see people still discussing one of my favorite cuisines here!

DW is talking about a 5-day Bermuda cruise this fall, I have no details yet. but I hope whichever line it's on will have interesting food. I think I'll bring my own can or jar of Indian pickle this time to share with my mess-mates, if they are interested! (unless the chefs have determined to broaden our culinary horizons some more...;))

Oscarsgrandad: I concur that some think "heat" compensates for lack of flavor, so vindaloo becomes prevalent where a nice korma or medium curry might do. And this isn't just about Indian or Chinese food-- there are some Tex-Mex chili-lovers that ascribe to that gospel.:eek: As mentioned before, DW and I have found the "lip-tingling" stage of spicyness to be enjoyable and survivable.

Happy cruising, and may you enjoy whatever you choose to eat!

I think I'll bring my own can or jar of Indian pickle this time to share with my mess-mates, if they are interested! (unless the chefs have determined to broaden our culinary horizons some more...;))

I was quite surprised to find achar (at least that's what I assume you are talking about) on the lunch buffet for our Alaskan cruise on Rhapsody. Maybe it was because of the increased number of cruisers from India, but haven't had a good selection of Indian food on the buffet since that one.

I adore Indian food (Cant you tell I'm a brit) but I am a spice weakling.

If the indian food on cruise ships is anything like the canteen stuff in other large companies it will be bad. I will try it in August but I am guessing its going to be bad

Indian food isnt nasty or too hot when you know where to go or what to eat from the menu. Food varies wildly too from Goan goat curries to more sweeter thai like dishes on the other side of the country.

If you hate cruise curry then I urge you to find an authentic place when you get home. Or even better you can have homemade indian curries by friends. My old friend makes the best fresh naan and her spiced Gobi/Aloo with Lamb Bhuna is to die for.

Indian cuisine is not rocket science--quite often a recipe is more like a laundry list of things you keep adding to the pot. Dals, or lentils in various types and styles of curries and sauces are stupid simple to make--even _I_ was able to produce a fair product. You just need a basic recipe/directions, the ingredients, the range of spices, and an idea of what you want it to taste like. Then keep "adjusting the spice" until the dish is most pleasing.

Some things are a trifle more complex: when DW and I tried making our own Samosas (spiced mashed potatoes, peas, and other goodies wrapped in a dough wrapper and deep-fried, somewhat like a large crusty won-ton), we had a few casualties--a couple exploded in the fryer:o. The deep-fried debris I skimmed out of the oil was tasty, however!:D

If you're a "spice weakling", doing it yourself is a great opportunity to "do it your way" without risking having your tastebuds cauterized. You can always add more lentils to offset a bit too much spice.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so glad I found this....my DH and I are going on our first cruise for our honeymoon in December and we LOVE indian food (we make it at home as well)...

The people complaining about the "spice" or the "curry" smell seem to be confused. Not ALL indian food has curry or spice in it. Educate yourself about a cuisine before you choose not to like it based on misconceptions.

Any of you Indian- or Middle Eastern-food-fans--have you ever eaten your meal with your hands--without utensils? That includes scooping/trapping the food in a fold of naan/chapati/pita or similar material? Or mixing the dal or curry or fuul muudammas or rishta together with a glob of rice into a ball and popping the ball of food into your mouth?

Believe it or not, with a bit of practice and pre-washed hands, you can enjoy a hand-to-mouth experience that is an everyday practice of the people whose cultures' cuisines you are tasting. And it need not be messy or make you feel foolish, if others are doing the same technique. One thing that helps is if you have a dish of sticky rice, usually medium or short-grained that helps bind the sauce of the food in. Another is making small balls of food. Another is practice. Try this at home and when you become proficient, use it at your favorite Indian restaurant--the staff will look at you with wide eyes for trying to breach the culture barrier!:)

• 4 weeks later...
It's fashionable right now. Before, it was sushi, sushi everywhere, the best, the healthiest. Now, it's Indian. The best, the healthiest, for vegetarians. Many other cuisines around the world has a lot of vegetarian dishes as well. So, why suddenly Indian?

I may have mentioned this on another thread, but DW (and now I, too) have been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, controllable with medication. Many Western foods are horrific in carbohydrate content and effect, and we have found their effects on our blood sugar readings to be severe. :eek:Oddly enough, eating lentils, chickpeas, brown rice and whole grain breads--lots of protein and fiber-- allows us to enjoy our meals and still have a decent amount of food to eat. Indian food generally has a minimal effect on our blood sugars, oddly enough, and apparently many of the spices--cinnamon, turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, coriander--seem to have recently been found to be beneficial to diabetics.

So DW and I have been doubly blessed by being able to enjoy Indian foods and to have it benefit us rather than be detrimental!:)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to my cruise on Azura where there is a Michelin star Indian restaurant :)

Since when does Michelin rate the cruise industry? Or do you mean it might get a Michelin star if it were land based?

This is such an entertaining read... I have colleagues that refused to try Indian food (that was 10 years ago), and then they did... Now, they call me and ask when I am going to cook next for them! My Irish American in laws tasted Tandoori Chicken, Chole and chicken 65, and they are just addicted....

I look forward to trying all kinds of food on the Liberty...

It also makes business sense... Those that are critical.... Have they not seen many cruisers of Indian origin on their ships?

I've been on five cruises and have only seen a handful of people of Asian Indian descent on all of them combined.

I've been on five cruises and have only seen a handful of people of Asian Indian descent on all of them combined.

Looks like you just haven't cruised out of the right ports. I found South Asian people were more prevalent on Alaska, New York and British cruises.

Looks like you just haven't cruised out of the right ports. I found South Asian people were more prevalent on Alaska, New York and British cruises.

I didn't think that there was any such thing as a "right" or "wrong" port. Perhaps I haven't cruised out of ports where Asians passengers are more prevalent, but that doesn't mean I haven't cruised out of the "right ports." :rolleyes:

Any of you Indian- or Middle Eastern-food-fans--have you ever eaten your meal with your hands--without utensils? That includes scooping/trapping the food in a fold of naan/chapati/pita or similar material? Or mixing the dal or curry or fuul muudammas or rishta together with a glob of rice into a ball and popping the ball of food into your mouth?

Believe it or not, with a bit of practice and pre-washed hands, you can enjoy a hand-to-mouth experience that is an everyday practice of the people whose cultures' cuisines you are tasting. And it need not be messy or make you feel foolish, if others are doing the same technique. One thing that helps is if you have a dish of sticky rice, usually medium or short-grained that helps bind the sauce of the food in. Another is making small balls of food. Another is practice. Try this at home and when you become proficient, use it at your favorite Indian restaurant--the staff will look at you with wide eyes for trying to breach the culture barrier!:)

The only cuisine I've ever had where it was all eaten by hand like you described was Ethiopian. It was delicious and like nothing else I had ever eaten before. :) :)

I may have mentioned this on another thread, but DW (and now I, too) have been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, controllable with medication. Many Western foods are horrific in carbohydrate content and effect, and we have found their effects on our blood sugar readings to be severe. :eek:Oddly enough, eating lentils, chickpeas, brown rice and whole grain breads--lots of protein and fiber-- allows us to enjoy our meals and still have a decent amount of food to eat. Indian food generally has a minimal effect on our blood sugars, oddly enough, and apparently many of the spices--cinnamon, turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, coriander--seem to have recently been found to be beneficial to diabetics.

So DW and I have been doubly blessed by being able to enjoy Indian foods and to have it benefit us rather than be detrimental!:)

Good for you, and way to go! Where I live there is a fairly large Indian population. For the life of me I can't remember when was the last time I was an overweight or obese Indian person. I love Indian food, but it seems a bit oily, and with all those carbs, but they are all so thin! I don't understand it!

Good for you, and way to go! Where I live there is a fairly large Indian population. For the life of me I can't remember when was the last time I was an overweight or obese Indian person. I love Indian food, but it seems a bit oily, and with all those carbs, but they are all so thin! I don't understand it!

Well over half of the Indian people I know are overweight and in many cases obese. The neighborhood I lived in for over 10 years before buying my current home was 50% Asian Indian, and there were very few who were of a healthy weight.

• 2 weeks later...
Well over half of the Indian people I know are overweight and in many cases obese. The neighborhood I lived in for over 10 years before buying my current home was 50% Asian Indian, and there were very few who were of a healthy weight.

Really? What city was that? Did they mostly eat Indian food or American food?