High Prices??????

hollon

I'm really planning to go to alaska at the end of may or first of june in 2015. I checked the prices w/ princess today and they seem really high this year. I will say they are almost full, I think it says for a balcony it's 2000.00 plus. I know a couple of years ago, I only paid about 1300.00 or 1500.00 for a balcony. I know supply and demand, but for 2015 I'll book as soon as they open so is that high price the going price now, or is it just b/c "everyone" is usually booked by now. Thanks

Princess had their 3 for Free sale this past fall and I'm sure many took advantage of the offers. We originally booked a balcony cabin for $1398 for May 31, 2014 and then were able to get a price adjustment when the price dropped to $1298.

I kept watching the available cabins and know they were filling up. Here are the details of the sale:

By booking this promotion passengers will receive the following: * FREE STATEROOM UPGRADE: Passenger gets the best stateroom available for the stateroom type selected at the lowest possible fare during this promotion. * FREE SHORE EXCURSION CREDIT: An onboard credit will be applied to passenger's onboard folio to be used towards shore excursions taken during the cruise. * FREE SPECIALTY DINING FOR 2: On the passenger's behalf, Princess will select a date and time for them to enjoy dinner at a specialty restaurant onboard. * REDUCED DEPOSIT: Only $100 per person.

This is our first cruise to Alaska but my advice would be to book early...then keep watching and take advantage of any price drops.

Celebrity prices have gone up as well. I booked our cruise the first day bookings opened up because we wanted a particular cabin. Today, our cabin is going for $300 per person higher.

I do remember a few years ago Alaska prices dropped quite a bit but haven't seen that type of price drop since that time.

I'm really planning to go to alaska at the end of may or first of june in 2015. I checked the prices w/ princess today and they seem really high this year. I will say they are almost full, I think it says for a balcony it's 2000.00 plus. I know a couple of years ago, I only paid about 1300.00 or 1500.00 for a balcony. I know supply and demand, but for 2015 I'll book as soon as they open so is that high price the going price now, or is it just b/c "everyone" is usually booked by now. Thanks

Book now and watch the prices. You can always cancel if they do not come down as they often do. That is what we did and they did come down significantly. We have a friend who may book several cruises that overlap knowing that she will pick the one with the best price or best perks when the final payment or final cancellation date comes up.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Those low Princess rates aren't here yet. For May, it's going to be April when they are available. There is NO way to determine how full cruises are unless they are sold out. There is plenty of block space that agencies contract for, and then release back after final payment. Over, MANY MANY years Princess has been the winner with the low rates. I expect the same, again, next year, which will determine my booking.

For those who don't do last minute bookings, booking in advance and keeping track of price trends would be the lower price options.

Those low Princess rates aren't here yet. For May, it's going to be April when they are available. There is NO way to determine how full cruises are unless they are sold out. There is plenty of block space that agencies contract for, and then release back after final payment. Over, MANY MANY years Princess has been the winner with the low rates. I expect the same, again, next year, which will determine my booking.

For those who don't do last minute bookings, booking in advance and keeping track of price trends would be the lower price options.

BQ, have you been on the Coral/Island and have you been in a mini suite (I know you save money and budget) as well as the rest of us try :) I'm taking my sister and she is overweight and wanted to know if it's worth a minisuite. I've been in a balcony on the Diamond, from the pictures it just looks like it's really not worth the money. any thoughts would be appreciated, she also uses a walker.

Princess has one less ship doing one ways this year, so the discount prices may not be as large or frequent as previous years. Though, the Crown Princess has more capacity so not entirely sure how that is going to play out.

Edited by Coral

BQ, have you been on the Coral/Island and have you been in a mini suite (I know you save money and budget) as well as the rest of us try :) I'm taking my sister and she is overweight and wanted to know if it's worth a minisuite. I've been in a balcony on the Diamond, from the pictures it just looks like it's really not worth the money. any thoughts would be appreciated, she also uses a walker.

Not BQ - but I have traveled on the Coral and most of the time, I travel in a mini suites on Princess. They are definitely more comfortable compared to balcony cabins. If you can afford the difference, it would be worth it. I would often travel with my mom and this was the minimum category she would travel in.

It is nice to have a bathtub to shower in compared to the cramped showers Princess has in other cabins. It also is nice to have a couch to spread out quite a bit.

This website is helpful: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

I would look for a covered balcony and also one near the aft as the Coral and Island Princess have great aft viewing (and also forward viewing). Regardless, if you can get a covered balcony, it helps when the weather is not as desireable.

Not BQ - but I have traveled on the Coral and most of the time, I travel in a mini suites on Princess. They are definitely more comfortable compared to balcony cabins. If you can afford the difference, it would be worth it. I would often travel with my mom and this was the minimum category she would travel in.

It is nice to have a bathtub to shower in compared to the cramped showers Princess has in other cabins. It also is nice to have a couch to spread out quite a bit.

This website is helpful: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

I would look for a covered balcony and also one near the aft as the Coral and Island Princess have great aft viewing (and also forward viewing). Regardless, if you can get a covered balcony, it helps when the weather is not as desireable.

thank you! we had a covered balony on our diamond ship and yes, i think a must due to rain.