Rookie Cruisers...4 adults.

TNDeb

I've read several comments about a "ship on a stick"....what exactly is this?

That is a "prize" you can get on Carnival when you win certain contests. More of a joke really. And it really is a ship on a stick:D

Edited by gardeningmama

One cruise directory we had called it "A plastic piece of ship."

HA! Sounds like an accurate description!

The TA we're going to talk to is swamped right now taking care of racefans coming to town for the Bristol races in a few weeks, but after that, we're going to meet with her. After the comments made here and viewing cabin photos, I think connected rooms are the way to go.

We've all got some questions to ask the TA and I'm wondering if any of you veteran cruisers have any tips on what to ask for.

~Deb :)

HA! Sounds like an accurate description!

The TA we're going to talk to is swamped right now taking care of racefans coming to town for the Bristol races in a few weeks, but after that, we're going to meet with her. After the comments made here and viewing cabin photos, I think connected rooms are the way to go.

We've all got some questions to ask the TA and I'm wondering if any of you veteran cruisers have any tips on what to ask for.

~Deb :)

Is the travel agent someone who has cruised a lot? If not, you may need to find another who knows the ships and lines.

Also, depending on when you want to go, some of the lines are offering good deals right now for the very start of the winter season, once the ships come back from Europe. Early December, before the holidays start, early January, often the first sailing of the new year just after the holidays, or

The very end of the winter season in March/April tend to be less expensive. If you find what you consider a deal, don't wait to book!

Also consider a few other things. Are any of you smokers? If so, look at the restrictions on the various lines. For example, Celebrity does offer a package where you can purchase unlimited drinks, but they also have the most restrictive smoking rules. They do not allow smoking inside anywhere. Only outside in designated areas, and never on Individual balconies. There is a $250 fee if caught and they reserve the right to disembark the offending passenger.

I agree that sometimes a 7 day cruise is better then a 5 day one.

for one- your options are a lot more.

not many sailings for 4-5 day cruises except on older ships.

the best balcony is on the carnival spirit class. (legend, miracle, Pride and Spirit.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

but sad to say there is only two on each ship that hold 2 people.

the third holds 4.

this class ship also has an inside connecting to a balcony cabin if looking to keep costs down. (located forward on decks 5 up.

the agent you are looking to book with sounds like she may not have experinces with cruises.

please look for some one with experience.

when you are looking to book you want a deck plan. your cabins should be between cabin space and away from public areas.

the higher you go the more you will be paying,.

if someone experieces motion sickenss you want to be midship./

closer to the aft elevator as this is where you dine, swim, sun etc. majority of day is spent in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally registered after reading all I could on this board. What a gold mine this place is!!

Next summer (May/June) Hubby and I along with another couple WILL be on a cruise. We want to do a 5 day cruise of the Eastern Caribbean. We will be meeting with a TA in the next week or so. Here are some of my concerns/questions:

We would like to stay in one cabin, with a balcony. If there is a couch that pulls out to a full size bed, we're good with that. What are y'all's experience with this?

Hubby is concerned about his bar bill...he is a beer drinker. What are the best ways to deal with this? I think some cruises offer a $$ a day for all the beer you can drink. How has that worked for y'all? As for me...I'll have rum runners filled with Capt. Morgan.

Shopping...I admit it...this is one of the things I'm most looking forward to. I know it depends on what ports we hit, but what ports offer the best shopping? How far is the shopping from the ports?

Excersions....which ones do you recommend?

~TNDeb

UPDATES:

We've decided to try a 6 day cruise and are looking at Carnival Freedom's western route, with stops in Key West, Cayman Island and Ocho Rios. Taking the city tram in Key West looks interesting and from all the comments I've read about Ocho Rios, I'm thinking of taking advantage of any Spa specials on that day. Any suggestions on what to do in Cayman would be greatly appreciated.

The TA we're using does have cruise experience, and I'm comfy with that.

We're definately flying in the day before and out the day after. Does anyone have any recommendations on a motel in the Ft Lauderdale area that offers shuttle to/from the airport and port? Also one that is within walking distance to a Wal-Mart/Walgreens/K-Mart/Beverage store?

The 4 of us have traveled together quite a bit. We always share a room. We spent 10 days together 2 years ago on a Vegas/Charlotte vacation and sharing a room was part of the fun. As I mentioned in another post, we're looking at both sharing a stateroom and getting connecting rooms. It will boil down to the cost.

I'm SO glad I found this site...what a wealth of knowledge it offers. I've got to admit...I'm addicted!

Y'all have a GREAT day!

~TnDeb

Edited by TNDeb

UPDATES:

We've decided to try a 6 day cruise and are looking at Carnival Freedom's western route, with stops in Key West, Cayman Island and Ocho Rios. Taking the city tram in Key West looks interesting and from all the comments I've read about Ocho Rios, I'm thinking of taking advantage of any Spa specials on that day. Any suggestions on what to do in Cayman would be greatly appreciated.

We're definately flying in the day before and out the day after. Does anyone have any recommendations on a motel in the Ft Lauderdale area that offers shuttle to/from the airport and port? Also one that is within walking distance to a Wal-Mart/Walgreens/K-Mart/Beverage store?

The 4 of us have traveled together quite a bit. We always share a room. We spent 10 days together 2 years ago on a Vegas/Charlotte vacation and sharing a room was part of the fun. As I mentioned in another post, we're looking at both sharing a stateroom and getting connecting rooms. It will boil down to the cost.

I'm SO glad I found this site...what a wealth of knowledge it offers. I've got to admit...I'm addicted!

Y'all have a GREAT day!

~TnDeb

The Embassy Suites is just in front of a shopping center that has a Publix grocery store and a Total Wine store that has an excellent selection of wines, beers and liquor. Their prices are better than the grocery prices. There is a Walgreens just down the street and plenty of other shopping in easy walking distance. You can also walk down to the pier the afternoon before your cruise and watch other ships' sail aways! There is a shuttle, but a taxi will cost you less if you can fit your stuff in and it's much faster than waiting for everyone to load their stuff into a bus.

The ES has a 2 room suite with kitchenette and they have a free managers cocktail hour with mixed drinks, beer and wine and snacks. There is also a full breakfast included in the rate.

http://www.hilton.com/search/es/us/fl/fort_lauderdale/fll?WT.srch=1

http://www.theharborshops.com/

4 adults in a cabin can be done. Not with double beds, though, I wouldn't have thought - two singles and two bunks would leave more floor space. You do need to be people who don't take hours (or even 1 hour) to dress for dinner.

As for cutting the cost of beer, just drink less. There's no other way. (Unless P&O or some other British line are basing ships in the Caribbean at that time - far more reasonable prices, and nothing like so uptight about carry-ons.)

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

As I mentioned in another post, we're looking at both sharing a stateroom and getting connecting rooms. It will boil down to the cost

This is the Carnival Freedom (and just about any other cruise ship) with four people in one room:

2825932710102881646fHGJgR_th.jpg You need to consider a lot more than the cost.

Edited by cherylandtk

2825932710102881646fHGJgR_th.jpg You need to consider a lot more than the cost.

I agree. If you are splitting the costs-- who gets the upper beds?

who gets the lions share of one bathroom-- especially of formal night.

I have done 5 to an inside cabin-- but four of those were teens.

I would not even consider doing this with my BFF and her spouse.

I bet the second cabin will be about 200. more.

Edited by serene56

Hi, if you haven't already booked your cabins, another great website to go on is DeckPlanGenius.com. They have terrific information on all the cruise line ships regarding size of rooms, where they are located, what's above and below them and whether there are any pros or cons to the location.

It can definately help you with your final choices. Before I found this website I felt that booking a cabin was sort of like a crapshoot. I've haven't cruised before either, even though I have crossed the Atlantic 3 times as a child. I am pretty confident that the cabin I finally chose for my first cruise is going to be a good one. Good luck and listen to all these experts: don't share a cabin with another couple. Get out some duct tape and mark off the size of the cabins and balcony and find out if you can live comfortably for 7 days in that space. Not!!!

Hi, if you haven't already booked your cabins, another great website to go on is DeckPlanGenius.com. They have terrific information on all the cruise line ships regarding size of rooms, where they are located, what's above and below them and whether there are any pros or cons to the location.

It can definately help you with your final choices. Before I found this website I felt that booking a cabin was sort of like a crapshoot. I've haven't cruised before either, even though I have crossed the Atlantic 3 times as a child. I am pretty confident that the cabin I finally chose for my first cruise is going to be a good one. Good luck and listen to all these experts: don't share a cabin with another couple. Get out some duct tape and mark off the size of the cabins and balcony and find out if you can live comfortably for 7 days in that space. Not!!!

THANK YOU for this info...that site is packed with great information!!!

THANK YOU for this info...that site is packed with great information!!!

Also look at cruise deck plans dot com. This is a "membership" site that costs a couple dollars to join, but has actual pictures that were taken and submitted by people staying in those cabins. You can easily repay yourself for joining by submitting your own pictures after your cruise. They pay $.50 for each picture submitted with no limit as long as they are legitimate photos of the cabin. Including pictures of balconies, in many cases. I have submitted very detailed pictures to include fridge's location and inside of fridge, plugs, hair dryer location, size of bathroom and closet, size of safe inside/out, etc.

I looked at this site and they are wildly inaccurate on the cabins I stayed in on the Magic, Dream, and Mariner.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen 'Future cruise certificates' mentioned in several threads...how do those work?

~Deb

Each cruise line has their own plan. I will explain the Princess one. Others are similar, but could vary in the details.

FCC must be purchased while on a Princess cruise. They are $100 each.

They can be used to book a Princess cruise while onboard, at home thru Princess or at home thru a TA.

The $100 you paid becomes your $100 deposit.

In addition, you will get an On Board Credit (OBC). The amount depends on the type cabin and length of cruise. Amount is $25 to $150.

Also, you would want one for you and for your traveling partner if possible.

Edited by paul929207

UPDATES:

Y'all have a GREAT day!

~TnDeb

Even if you have traveled with each other before; perhaps in hotels, a ship cabin is, like everyone says, very much smaller. Personally I could deal with the sleeping space, but the bathrooms and getting dressed (privacy aside) is just way too cramped. Seriously you would need a suite for 4 adults. Even if you do not spend much time in the cabin, when you do, it will be at the same time.

If you can get adjoining cabins or close by, that's one way. Maybe one could be a larger, balcony-type to hang out in and the other smaller. Just split the total cost if that works.

~Bob~

Oh, and I know many will argue it is not required, but I would always suggest traveling with a passport. It is good for ten years and if something happens and you need to fly home, that is the only way.

We got ours done last week. The woman who processed us, said now is actually one of the best times of year and the govt may not be too backed up. You may get it in a few weeks rather than 6-10.

~Bob~

• 2 weeks later...
We're BOOKED!!!! :D

Congratulations!!

Catching up on this thread.

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale. Managers cocktail party from 5:30 to 7:30. Excellent FULL breakfast in the morning -- eggs any way you want them, fruits, cereals, pastries, pancakes. All included in the price. Sofa in the living room opens to a queen size bed for one couple. The Harbor shops are right behind the hotel. The hotel has E-spot for a restaurant but there are a lot of restaurants in the Harbor shops and others within walking distance.

In Ocho Rios -- being on a larger ship, you should dock at the larger pier. You can walk to the Island Market without being harassed by the people. There are some shops there and Jimmy Buffets for drink and food.

Grand Cayman -- if you all can swim -- Stingray City is a great tour. If not -- there is a tour that goes out to the Turtle Farm and to Hell.

You are wise to get 2 cabins. There is no way I would want to be in a cabin with 4 people -- too small -- and only 1 bathroom.

Keep us updated on everything.

Oh, and I know many will argue it is not required, but I would always suggest traveling with a passport. It is good for ten years and if something happens and you need to fly home, that is the only way.

We got ours done last week. The woman who processed us, said now is actually one of the best times of year and the govt may not be too backed up. You may get it in a few weeks rather than 6-10.

~Bob~

Thank you for your post!

Just printed off our passport applications and have all the required documents. Planning on swinging by Walgreens soon to get photos taken then will head to the Law Clerks office!

Edited by TNDeb

Congratulations!!

Catching up on this thread.

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale. Managers cocktail party from 5:30 to 7:30. Excellent FULL breakfast in the morning -- eggs any way you want them, fruits, cereals, pastries, pancakes. All included in the price. Sofa in the living room opens to a queen size bed for one couple. The Harbor shops are right behind the hotel. The hotel has E-spot for a restaurant but there are a lot of restaurants in the Harbor shops and others within walking distance.

In Ocho Rios -- being on a larger ship, you should dock at the larger pier. You can walk to the Island Market without being harassed by the people. There are some shops there and Jimmy Buffets for drink and food.

Grand Cayman -- if you all can swim -- Stingray City is a great tour. If not -- there is a tour that goes out to the Turtle Farm and to Hell.

You are wise to get 2 cabins. There is no way I would want to be in a cabin with 4 people -- too small -- and only 1 bathroom.

Keep us updated on everything.

Thank you for your post!

In Key West we're thinking about doing the city tour, one full round then getting off on the second lap. We're all cat lovers, so planning on getting our 'cat fix' at Hemmingway's house. And a stop at Margaritaville! In Grand Cayman we're looking at a snorkeling tour. And Ocho Rios, maybe a walk around then back to the ship to check out any spa specials.

We did book thru a TA since we're all rookies. She has been VERY helpful so far.

We've yet to book our flight, but we're arriving the day before embarkment and leaving the day after. Sad note, we're getting off the ship on my birthday. :(

We're also looking at Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South. It's within walking distance to K-Mart, restaurants and other shops and offers shuttle from airport and to port.

Let the countdown begin!!!

~Deb