Mekong River Cruise Just returned

keenmolly

Avalon Angkor Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City

We have just returned from the most amazing adventure with Avalon Waterways Our journey began in Siem Reap Cambodia where we stayed in a boutique hotel Shinta Mani Club for 3 Nights 5 star service and accomodation. We met up with our fellow travellers who had flown in from Bangkok and also our cruise director Phiem. What an awesome CD he was . Nothing was too much trouble for him and his knowledge that he passed on to us was exceptional.

While in Siem Reap we went to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom we were captivated with all the temples, so much history. After enjoying Siem Reap for a few days it was time to begin our luxurious cruise 7 days of bliss. The water was too low to embark the boat on Tonle Sap Lake so this meant a 7 hour trip by bus which is not unusual for this time of year. Never mind we all enjoyed the ride as we saw a lot of the local country side and stopped at a few places along the way including a bathroom stop where my husband was approached by a young girl who placed a large tarantula on his t-shirt. "Oh my Buddha" it was scarey!

We arrived to our boat Avalon Angkor around 2.00 pm where a very tasty lunch was ready for us. Well we were just amazed by the luxury of this beautiful boat. Our home for seven days.Polished wood everywhere beautiful timber decks. Our cabins were small but everything was just 5 star. The shower was huge and had very good water pressure. How we looked forward to the shower after our many tours in the quite warm weather.

The crew on the boat were wonderful caring, smiling and helpful all just real gems. Food on board for breakfast ,lunch and dinner was just fantastic (thanks to the chef) Nothing to complain about at all (except I managed to put on 3 kgs while lapping up the delicious food and free flowing drinks and lovely local cocktails every night) our glasses never seemed to be empty.

Some of the tours we did (all included) were things we would never do if travelling solo. We went to a local school where young children were able to practice their English, most enjoyable. Went on an ox cart ride, cyclo tour, Tuk Tuk ride, a visit to a local fish farm, brick factory a San pan ride. We also went through a local market having been given 5 items to find and trying to communicate with non English speaking locals Oh what fun and a real challenge. It was a little like" Amazing Race"We also went to a Vietnamese cooking school where we made a chicken/ginger dish, Vietnamese spring rolls and also a noodle soup.

We have been so busy. Arrived in Ho Chi Minh City. The traffic is just mad motorbikes going every which way. So hard to cross the road.

Well it was time after a visit to the Chu Chi Tunnels to have a farewell dinner at a local restaurant "Ly Club". What a fantastic night. Phiem our CD got up and sang a few songs. Soooo good!!!!!

We have had the most amazing and interesting experience and we have really enjoyed our time with Avalon Waterways(our second river cruise with them) we would recommend this trip to anyone who may be considering a Mekong River Trip. Avalon Angkor is only a small boat holding 32 passengers (travellers) but it is able to go to many places where the larger boats can't. So therefore you get to see a lot more of the local lifestyle.

We highly recommend this cruise.

Thank you Avalon and especially Phiem an awesome cruise director who has taught us so much. If anyone wants to know more we are happy to answer any questions 10/10

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for your review. We are really, really wanting to book this trip in fall 2015.

Per Avalon travel guide for 2015, if the water is to low, generally late December to June, they will fly travelers if the ship cannot cross Tonle Sap.

Thanks for sharing your experience. A Mekong River cruise is on my to do list. Spent a couple days last October in Ho Chi Minh City and Mekong Delta while we were overnight in port on an ocean cruise. Absolutely loved our 2 days in Vietnam, touring on the back of motorbikes. I know what you mean when you say the motor bikes and streets are crazy. We had a blast in HCMC and the countryside but sure wouldn't have driven those bikes ourselves! :eek: The two days was a little appetizer for us to go back and spend more time. A river cruise sounds like an ideal way to do it. :)

Hi shebely you mention the fact that in the future you can fly if the water is too low. I must say that we found the bus trip extremely enjoyable with plenty of stops on the way and so much to see. Flying for us would not be as desirable.

Keenmolly, so glad you enjoyed your Avalon trip. We took the same trip in the opposite direction with Mark as our CD. There were only 22 of us and we thoroughly enjoyed one another's company. Am trying to figure out where they would be flying from--maybe Phonmen Pen?Pardon the spelling. We have traveled on all the other lines on the Mekong, but never had tried Avalon. Think we made a wonderful decision. This was our 18th river cruise and one of the best. Pat

I would think going overland vs plane would be much more interesting. In Vietnam we drove for 2 hours to get from ocean cruise port into Ho Chi Minh City and the sites along the road were great. Saw so much of the local action and culture right along the roadside.

We want to do this cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2017 and were wavering between avalon and viking , preferred the Avalon cruise so this has swayed us now , thanks for the review

Is all the alcohol , wine , beer and cocktails included in the price in the evenings too or just with your meal ? What do you do in the evenings after dining ?

Hi petlady7 you asked about the drinks. Yes drinks are complimentary all day. (Only local beer and spirits) but we found them fine. Plenty of cocktails at 6.00 every night and good wines at dinner time. As far as after dinner at night we had a couple of films which related to the area we were visiting but we quite often just relaxed on the open air lounge with fellow travellers enjoying drinks and the warmth. I am sure you would really love this trip. Next year Avalon will have a new boat which I think will be even more luxurious and a little larger cabins. Still though only for approx 32 passengers. We loved the fact that that we all became a big family. So much fun!

Hi keenmolly. Thanks so much for your review. We are considering this cruise for November. Would you be kind enough to give any information about cabin selection? Some posts have indicated that forward cabins are noisy and that the afternoon sun is a problem for some cabins. Thanks!

Hi keenmolly. Thanks so much for your review. We are considering this cruise for November. Would you be kind enough to give any information about cabin selection? Some posts have indicated that forward cabins are noisy and that the afternoon sun is a problem for some cabins. Thanks!

Hi BooBooTX

We were in cabin 107. We found this to be quiet but having said this the people who were to the front didn't have any complaints as the crew did not drop the anchor during early hours. As far as the sun being a problem the river twists and turns so you don't know from one day to the next wether it will effect you but air conditioning was very good so no problems for us. A lot of the time while on the boat you spend up on the undercover open air deck with your fellow travellers watching the passing scenery and having a few nice cool alcoholic beverages complimentary.

Once again I recommend this trip especially with Avalon as their boat is smaller and able to go where larger boats can't therefore avoiding extra bus rides. Get cracking and book it you won't be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review it sounds fantastic, the more I read the sooner I want to go! We only got home last monday from France after 5 weeks away. :)

Did you cruise have similar age groups and country mix as on the european ones? Did you have to have visas for that area and vaccinations?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as time goes by.

Deb :)

Avalon Angkor Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City

We have just returned from the most amazing adventure with Avalon Waterways Our journey began in Siem Reap Cambodia where we stayed in a boutique hotel Shinta Mani Club for 3 Nights 5 star service and accomodation. We met up with our fellow travellers who had flown in from Bangkok and also our cruise director Phiem. What an awesome CD he was . Nothing was too much trouble for him and his knowledge that he passed on to us was exceptional.

While in Siem Reap we went to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom we were captivated with all the temples, so much history. After enjoying Siem Reap for a few days it was time to begin our luxurious cruise 7 days of bliss. The water was too low to embark the boat on Tonle Sap Lake so this meant a 7 hour trip by bus which is not unusual for this time of year. Never mind we all enjoyed the ride as we saw a lot of the local country side and stopped at a few places along the way including a bathroom stop where my husband was approached by a young girl who placed a large tarantula on his t-shirt. "Oh my Buddha" it was scarey!

We arrived to our boat Avalon Angkor around 2.00 pm where a very tasty lunch was ready for us. Well we were just amazed by the luxury of this beautiful boat. Our home for seven days.Polished wood everywhere beautiful timber decks. Our cabins were small but everything was just 5 star. The shower was huge and had very good water pressure. How we looked forward to the shower after our many tours in the quite warm weather.

The crew on the boat were wonderful caring, smiling and helpful all just real gems. Food on board for breakfast ,lunch and dinner was just fantastic (thanks to the chef) Nothing to complain about at all (except I managed to put on 3 kgs while lapping up the delicious food and free flowing drinks and lovely local cocktails every night) our glasses never seemed to be empty.

Some of the tours we did (all included) were things we would never do if travelling solo. We went to a local school where young children were able to practice their English, most enjoyable. Went on an ox cart ride, cyclo tour, Tuk Tuk ride, a visit to a local fish farm, brick factory a San pan ride. We also went through a local market having been given 5 items to find and trying to communicate with non English speaking locals Oh what fun and a real challenge. It was a little like" Amazing Race"We also went to a Vietnamese cooking school where we made a chicken/ginger dish, Vietnamese spring rolls and also a noodle soup.

We have been so busy. Arrived in Ho Chi Minh City. The traffic is just mad motorbikes going every which way. So hard to cross the road.

Well it was time after a visit to the Chu Chi Tunnels to have a farewell dinner at a local restaurant "Ly Club". What a fantastic night. Phiem our CD got up and sang a few songs. Soooo good!!!!!

We have had the most amazing and interesting experience and we have really enjoyed our time with Avalon Waterways(our second river cruise with them) we would recommend this trip to anyone who may be considering a Mekong River Trip. Avalon Angkor is only a small boat holding 32 passengers (travellers) but it is able to go to many places where the larger boats can't. So therefore you get to see a lot more of the local lifestyle.

We highly recommend this cruise.

Thank you Avalon and especially Phiem an awesome cruise director who has taught us so much. If anyone wants to know more we are happy to answer any questions 10/10

Hi keenmolly,

Interested to read your report on your recent Mekong river cruise.

We are going Thursday this week and I am getting really excited. Going with Travelmarvel on the RV La Margeurite. Am taking smart casual clothes with a few smart dresses for dinner, hope this is ok.

We have got some vietnamese dong but the majority of cash in US dollars. Will this be ok?

Also what's the position with mosquitoes at this time of year?

Any restuarants in Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh you could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

daddynews

Hi daddynews I do hope you have as great a trip as we did. Yes casual clothes are fine. We took American dollars and changed some for a few dong in Vietnam. Mainly everyone takes American but you do need dong for taxi in Saigon which I must say are very cheap.

We had no problem with mozzies but did put on repellent sometimes.

As far as restaurants we went to a French restaurant Topaz in Phnom Penh I must say it was the best French meal we have ever encountered. We give it 10/10. And in Saigon we picked up some delicious treats and snacks at the night market plus ate at our hotel the Intercontinental which was fabulous. Hope this helps you and once again enjoy your upcoming trip and we look forward to reading your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi daddynews I do hope you have as great a trip as we did. Yes casual clothes are fine. We took American dollars and changed some for a few dong in Vietnam. Mainly everyone takes American but you do need dong for taxi in Saigon which I must say are very cheap.

We had no problem with mozzies but did put on repellent sometimes.

As far as restaurants we went to a French restaurant Topaz in Phnom Penh I must say it was the best French meal we have ever encountered. We give it 10/10. And in Saigon we picked up some delicious treats and snacks at the night market plus ate at our hotel the Intercontinental which was fabulous. Hope this helps you and once again enjoy your upcoming trip and we look forward to reading your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi keenmolly,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. You have reassured me about dress code and money, we always take far too much but its better to be prepared.

Thanks for the tip about the restaurant we shall certainly look out for this.

All we have to do now is pack.

Will certainly write a review on our return and hope its glowing.

Regards.

daddynews.;)

Hi Keenmolly,

Great review it sounds fantastic, the more I read the sooner I want to go!

We only got home last monday from France after 5 weeks away.

What visas did you have to get for that area?

Deb

Hi tassietravellers Deb We got our Vietnamese visa from the Embassy in Canberra $190.00 for the two of us. Then when we arrived in Siem Reap Cambodia you get your Cambodian Visa at the airport very easy. Make sure you have American dollars and nice new ones too as they won't accept old tatty ones. $20.00 each person.

We loved Siem Reap we think we may go back again in the future. The people are very friendly. So I would say look into the trip on the internet. You must do it you will not be disappointed !!!!

Hi Keenmolly. Well, you sold us! We are all booked for this trip with Avalon in November. Until we read your review, we had never given Avalon a thought because we have only had experience with Uniworld. But we prefer Avalon's itinerary and the benefits of the smaller ship.

What did most folks wear on the ship in the evenings? Are there any facilities for laundry on the ship? Would you advise bringing small gifts for children? What style electrical outlets in the cabins (European?). Are there any vegetarian options at meals? Thanks for all the information and for persuading us to give Avalon a try!!

Hi Keenmolly. Well, you sold us! We are all booked for this trip with Avalon in November. Until we read your review, we had never given Avalon a thought because we have only had experience with Uniworld. But we prefer Avalon's itinerary and the benefits of the smaller ship.

What did most folks wear on the ship in the evenings? Are there any facilities for laundry on the ship? Would you advise bringing small gifts for children? What style electrical outlets in the cabins (European?). Are there any vegetarian options at meals? Thanks for all the information and for persuading us to give Avalon a try!!

So pleased you have booked your cruise with Avalon. I am sure you will be amazed with the whole trip. Which way are you travelling? North or South bound.We went Siem Reap to Saigon and had the most awesome cruise director Phiem who made our trip special

with all of his local knowledge.

1. Evenings we glammed ourselves up a little but nothing formal. Men most of the time wore shorts and a casual shirt. You don't need high heel shoes at all as nearly all of the time while we were on board we went bare foot to protect the polished timber decks.

2. You can have laundry done on board but I can't comment on cost as we did not have any done.

3. We did take pencils, erasers,colouring books even some toothbrushes. But we could have saved ourselves as Phiem takes you to a local market where every one bought little gifts and by doing this you are helping support the local economy.

4. We took a universal adaptor with us which we always take when we are travelling.

5. We had a vegetarian couple in our group and Phiem would liase with them daily as to their requirements. There is plenty of choices of food on board. I must tell you when you return home after this cruise you will definately be carrying a few extra pounds (and I don't mean souvenirs)

Feel free to ask more questions. Start counting down the days to an amazing trip.

Hi tassietravellers Deb We got our Vietnamese visa from the Embassy in Canberra $190.00 for the two of us. Then when we arrived in Siem Reap Cambodia you get your Cambodian Visa at the airport very easy. Make sure you have American dollars and nice new ones too as they won't accept old tatty ones. $20.00 each person.

We loved Siem Reap we think we may go back again in the future. The people are very friendly. So I would say look into the trip on the internet. You must do it you will not be disappointed !!!!

Thank you so much :-)