Can I bring a Portable Fan for white noise?

DrPepper41

My husband & I sleep with a box fan every night. When we vacation, we almost always pack a smaller turbo fan.

I'm worried that a fan will be on the "naughty list" and will be confiscated. Is there any way to hide it and smuggle it? I've seen portable/battery operated ones that are smaller.

Any luck smuggling fans on board? If so, how did you do it?

If I can't smuggle the fan - I've downloaded some white noise apps on my smartphone that we'll try to use in place of the fan.

I sleep with a fan every night... just a little one that blows right on me. I would think I could get away with it if I wanted too, but would recommend an extension cord stowed away also. If you are on a balcony and it's not too humid out also propping the balcony door works great too... the waves against the ship is GREAT.

I have never brought my fan nor do I plan too... but it is missed. Good Luck!

I would contact Carnival directly and ask them if it is ok to bring a fan. I sleep with a fan every night as well so I would also like to have the answer to this question.

I wonder if you could ask once you are onboard if guest services had a fan that you could use for the duration of the cruise

I know ive brought a small metal cage type fan once, i think it was in 2007, we didnt have any trouble. we packed it in our checked bags. I thought i read on here later tho like last year that they were not allowed. But im not for sure? I plan on trying to bring mine again in SEPT on my next cruise. I always sleep with a fan summer/winter. But i would also like to know if the rules have changed?

-David

Glad to read I'm not the only one that needs a fan. I sleep with a fan 365 days a year.. I'm guessing it's the white-noise, but I like the moving air.. I like the breeze. I thought I'd have a problem sleeping on our first cruise, but there is a low hum to the ship.. or maybe it was the AC... or the maragaritas ;), but I slept like a rock!

We have gone on two cruises (are getting ready to go on our third in twelve days) - my husband and I both need a fan (I need it for the noise, and hubby needs it blowing in his face for his breathing issues). We have taken a fan on both times (and will again) as well as an extension cord. We put it in checked luggage the first time and carry on the second time (it will go in checked luggage this third time). And we've never had a problem.

I have a little battery operated fan I take EVERYWHERE. Bought it at Walmart, it runs on D batteries and I always take extra batteries. When we cruise, I always tuck it in my carry-on for fear if I put it in the checked luggage, they might rummage through my big suitcase and find my smuggled wine! Back on point... never have had a question with that little fan in my carry on bag.

I printed this out of the FAQ section under Restricted items. I plan on taking it with me (with my documents) in case they say anything.

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards (no more than 42 Inches in length and stored in stateroom).

I have traveled with my fans on every cruise. I've had the little turbo fans and I recently upgraded to a to a 12 inch fan...that is battery operated as well..... So I can take on the balcony with me.......never had a problem.

My husband & I sleep with a box fan every night. When we vacation, we almost always pack a smaller turbo fan.

I'm worried that a fan will be on the "naughty list" and will be confiscated. Is there any way to hide it and smuggle it? I've seen portable/battery operated ones that are smaller.

If I can't smuggle the fan - I've downloaded some white noise apps on my smartphone that we'll try to use in place of the fan.

No need to smuggle it if it isnt to big. I take a 10'' fan with me no problem.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

geeze just get a balcony,hold the door open with a bungee and,voila..raging sea a.k.a white noise....by the way i am being a smart ass since we always sleep with a fan on (and i live in canada). the only thing is that the door open (even a bit) is so much better than closed on ships. i find the air to very much like a plane when in a closed room on a ship.

Walmart has a great small metal fan for ten bucks right now! My plastic fan got crushed in my luggage last year so I replaced it with this metal housing fan. Works great, very small and cannot get crushed!

We always take a very small fan because the cabins never get cold enough for us to sleep. It used to help with DH's snoring, but lately it's not loud enough for that. Fortunately, Carnival's TVs have a channel that has just soft music. I'll turn that on at night just low enough to drown out his snoring. It also works as a night light if you have to get up during the night.

We have taken in our carry-on as well as checked luggage...never had it taken in the last 5 years.

Edited by Terre

I've packed a fan on every cruise and never had a problem. Haven't even had to hide it. Just packed it in my luggage and never been questioned or had any problems. Our whole family can't sleep without our fan noise.

We have taken the 12" turbo fan on 4 cruises. I put it, my 20 pack of diet dr. pepper and a few bottles of water in my carryone and have never had a problem. I don't need an extention cord because I leave it on the counter by the phone and it works great and never trip on it in the "wee" hours of the night.

On our last cruise we had some wine removed from our checked luggage. When I went to claim it on debarkation morning, I saw fans that had been removed from checked luggage along with irons, blow dryers and LOTS of liquor.