Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

Can you buy more than one glass of wine at dinner? Is it worth it to purchase the Premium Package vs. the basic. We are going on the Equinox for ten days.

Can you get a bottle of wine with dinner?

Hi,

You can buy more than glass of wine at dinner with the package.

Only can decide if it is worth it. See sticky thread at the beginning and also the comments raised in this thread.

You cannot get a bottle of wine with the drinks package but it is likely that that each glass of wine will be from the same bottle if you have several glasses.

Jim

So is there anywhere the drink packages are not honored, other than room service?

And conversely, are Coke/Diet Coke and orange juice available free anywhere?

When you get bottled water, is it an actual bottle or is it poured from a larger container, such as on an airline?

Thanks!

You are correct that the only place its not honored is room service.

You can get OJ for free on the ship, however it is the "from concentrate" kind, not fresh squeezed. This doesn't bother some people, however I personally can't stand the water downed taste. However, you can buy fresh squeezed with your package. You do get fresh squeezed (orange, grapefruit, etc.) though if you are in Aqua Class and will be having breakfast in Blu. Soda is only available at a charge or with your package.

When you order water its the actual bottle. They then just leave the bottle for you or put it in an ice bucket near your table. At least this is what they did in Blu, the Specialty Restaurants & Bistro on 5. We never ate in the main dinning room.

...I suppose I just have a difficult time believing we would come even close to spending $800 on drinks over a week....

...So is there anywhere the drink packages are not honored, other than room service?...

And conversely, are Coke/Diet Coke and orange juice available free anywhere?

When you get bottled water, is it an actual bottle or is it poured from a larger container, such as on an airline?

The unlimited beverage packages have been very appealing to me so I enjoy following discussions about them. But while I used to think our on board spending was really high it pales in comparison to the package cost. For the non-alcoholic packages it has sometimes been close, but never exceeded, the packages cost even though we drink a lot of bottled water. On some cruises we've decided to order like we had the non-alcoholic packages and not worry about cost and still haven't exceeded the cost. The alcoholic packages wouldn't work for us as our taste in wines don't match the limited "by the glass" offerings on the ship - so we pay as we go and order from the much larger by the bottle wine list. Note that you don't have to finish a bottle at one seating as they'll cork them and store for you for the next night or send to your cabin if you want to finish a bottle there.

The drink packages are good for the included packages anyplace on the ship other than room service, mini bar and the enomatic wine dispensers in Cellermaster's Lounge - which excludes most varieties of wine you could otherwise get there. Although in my opinion this is no big deal as I've not had good experiences with the wine from those machines.

Coke, and any other carbonated beverage, is not free anyplace on the ship. Orange juice from concentrate is but I believe this is no charge only in dining areas or from room service and I think that for the most part all beverages served at the bars and lounges have a charge.

Here is a link to a thread discussing beverages that are no-extra charge beyond the basic cruise fare: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28137836

Bottled water is sold and served in the bottle. If you're sitting at a bar or dining area they will open the bottle in front of you and pour it into a glass for you and either leave the bottle or keep it handy. But you can also get a bottle at a bar or lounge, or the gangway leaving the ship, and have them leave it closed for use at a later time. Cost without package is $4 + 15% for a one liter bottle, about half that for a small single serving bottle.

Can you buy more than one glass of wine at dinner? Is it worth it to purchase the Premium Package vs. the basic. We are going on the Equinox for ten days.

Can you get a bottle of wine with dinner?

You can buy as many glasses of wine at dinner as you'd like. If you mean with the packages then you can order one at a time and then order another when you're done with the first so you can still have as many as you'd like but can only order one at a time. There is a very limited selection of wines by the glass. The classic package allows you to obtain any on the by-the-glass list priced $8 or less, the premium allows those priced up to $12. Look at the last page of the wine list at this link (click here) or the second to the last page on this link (click here) for examples of by-the-glass offerings in the dining rooms last winter. You can also compare the selection to the bottled wine list on those pages. But note the bottled wine list isn't available with the unlimited beverage packages.

Edited by Lsimon

The alcoholic packages wouldn't work for us as our taste in wines don't match the limited "by the glass" offerings on the ship - so we pay as we go and order from the much larger by the bottle wine list.

You can buy as many glasses of wine at dinner as you'd like. If you mean with the packages then you can order one at a time and then order another when you're done with the first so you can still have as many as you'd like but can only order one at a time. There is a very limited selection of wines by the glass. The classic package allows you to obtain any on the by-the-glass list priced $8 or less, the premium allows those priced up to $12. Look at the last page of the wine list at this link (click here) or the second to the last page on this link (click here) for examples of by-the-glass offerings in the dining rooms last winter. You can also compare the selection to the bottled wine list on those pages. But note the bottled wine list isn't available with the unlimited beverage packages.

On our first cruise with a drink package, we found that our sommelier was willing to go get other wines than what were available on the MDR menu for us. I'm not sure if that was his desire to please since we obviously were interested in trying a variety of wines, or if the tip the second night helped, but I know he did a good job of searching out wines. Our next cruise, the sommelier wasn't so willing (nor as experienced), but he did get us better wines when we knew what they were, but wasn't as knowledgeable about what was available.

We think we probably drink a bit under the cost, but decided the convenience of not thinking about whether we want to spend the money on another drink was worth the cost of spending it up front. Better vacation for the money. i do miss exploring the wine list and buying drinks for friends, but I like having the OJ and cappuccinos and all the water we want even to brush our teeth.

Beth

Great thread! So...if we want to get a BOTTLE of wine and drink it in the cabin, we have to get it at one of the bars and take it back to the room?

If you are talking about the beverage package then I'll reiterate the point that only wine by the glass is included in the package. To get that under the package you'll have to go to a bar or lounge and get a glass to bring back to your cabin. A bottle of wine is not covered under the package so if you want one you'll have to pay extra.

If you are not talking about one of the unlimited beverage packages here, or are willing to pay extra even if you have the package, then you can order a bottle of wine from room service to be delivered to your room. Any bottle on the main dining room list is included and most of them are listed on an ordering system or list available on your TV - or ask for a printed copy of the wine list. There will also be a small bottle of red, white and sparking wine in your mini bar to consume at the listed cost if you so desire.

Also, if you purchase a bottle of wine elsewhere on the ship and do not finish it you can ask to have the remainder corked and saved for another night or sent back to your cabin for you to enjoy there.

One other point worth mentioning: Celebrity allows passengers to bring 2 bottles of wine, per cabin, on board on embarkation day only. These cab be consumed in your stateroom and your stateroom attendant will bring you glasses or chill the wine on request. If you bring wine on and want to drink it in the dining room or a lounge there is a $25/bottle fee for doing so but no such fee if you just enjoy it in your stateroom.

Edited by Lsimon

My husband and I are big wine drinkers. We normally have a few glasses in our room pre-dinner/always a bottle with dinner. We also can generally find lots of wines we enjoy on a "regular wine list". We are thinking perhaps of buying the premium package for one of us (for the waters and other items) and then still purchasing our wine by the bottle. Or, should we go for two packages, and just order by the glass (recognizing that with dinner we will each want 3-4 glasses of wine). Also, if we both want a glass of wine for the room, I assume we can't order two glasses with one premium package - rather hubby would have to go get one, bring back to the room and then go get another ....?

Thanks. We've not been on Celebrity since the packages started and are considering a 14 day next year. 14 days x 2 premium packages adds up to a big chunk of change. But I realize if we only get one, I must add about $50-60 per day for a bottle of wine in the resto. Its partly about cost and partly about convenience that I am asking.

My husband and I are big wine drinkers. We normally have a few glasses in our room pre-dinner/always a bottle with dinner. We also can generally find lots of wines we enjoy on a "regular wine list". We are thinking perhaps of buying the premium package for one of us (for the waters and other items) and then still purchasing our wine by the bottle. Or, should we go for two packages, and just order by the glass (recognizing that with dinner we will each want 3-4 glasses of wine). Also, if we both want a glass of wine for the room, I assume we can't order two glasses with one premium package - rather hubby would have to go get one, bring back to the room and then go get another ....?

Thanks. We've not been on Celebrity since the packages started and are considering a 14 day next year. 14 days x 2 premium packages adds up to a big chunk of change. But I realize if we only get one, I must add about $50-60 per day for a bottle of wine in the resto. Its partly about cost and partly about convenience that I am asking.

I think it has been covered that if you have TWO drink packages, hubby can go get two glasses of wine for you to enjoy in your cabin. If you have only one drink package and hubby goes and gets two glasses of wine (1 at a time), one for you and one for him, that is called theft. It's the same as one patron going to an all you can eat buffet and then taking food to other non-paying diners.

Good Sailing

Tom

Seems to me with the amount you guys drink you'll want to both have a package that includes wine, else carry your own wine on board and drink in room/pay corkage in the restaurants.

If you want to drink the goods you have to pay the money for them. Trying to justify it by buying 1 premium and one non-alcohol package/no package really seems like you're trying to well, steal, as another poster bluntly called out. it's not opinion - taking something which you did not pay for, for your own use, is unfortunately stealing.

On my last cruise i had a premium non-alcohol package and my boyfriend didn't have a package. He never ever ordered anything on my card, nor did I for him. If people do this, prices for those of us that pay, will go up, to cover those that feel they can cheat the system.

DH & I are recently off the Millenium and each had the premium alcohol package. Our seapass cards had "PALL" written on them - we had purchased on the internet beforehand.

Loved the convenience, would do again for 7 days or shorter, but can't imagine having for more than that!

We kept pretty close track, and between lattes, soda, beer, multiple glasses of wine with dinner, lots of bottled water, and pre and post dinner drinks at the Martini bar, know that we got our money's worth and then some. We definitely don't drink as much at home, would not have drank as much without the package, but hey, we were on vacation after all and decided to splurge!

After the first night in the MDR our sommelier simply asked what we were having for each course and what we were generally looking for in a wine and kept our glasses full - brought a wine for each course if we wanted. They had no problem bringing bottled water at the beginning of the meal and also bringing the wine when the sommelier arrived.

Putu in the Martini bar was great - made many martinis not on the menu for us, even going up to the coffee bar for espresso to make his espresso martinis (try them, and the chocolate martini - neither are on the menu and both are terrific!).

We generally went to the bars/bartenders when we wanted drinks and always had good service - used servers some, and didn't notice any lack of service with the package.

The wine and liquor offerings were fine for us, but being from the Oregon land of microbrews the beer offerings were slim pickings.

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased the classic the day we got on the ship as in case any one of us had a head cold or just wasn't feeling the need/want to drink. But we did the classic package as we knew we would not be in port for long on port days so it made sense for us. We are not big drinkers by no means but after all this was vacation for our 29 wedding anniversary. We had wine with dinner each evening and our glasses were never empty and I never saw the sommelier fill them.... she was good. I would certainly opt to do this package again if the ports were not a full day event.

Well said. We purchased the Premium drinks, we are not big drinkers but I can confidently say that it was worth our while & we will definitely purchase the premium drinks package again next year. :)

My wife and I have just signed up for the Celebrity Equinox for Feb 21, 2013. We have never sailed Celebrity before and we have never had the opportunity for a drinks package. If you do not sign chits, how do they know that you have a package and what package you have?

My wife and I have just signed up for the Celebrity Equinox for Feb 21, 2013. We have never sailed Celebrity before and we have never had the opportunity for a drinks package. If you do not sign chits, how do they know that you have a package and what package you have?

If you purchase it ahead of time it says it on your sea pass and I presume it comes up when they swipe it as well in the computer. If you buy the package once you board they place a sticker on your sea pass.

Just back from Eclipse. Took the Classic package, and "won" every day. Juice, water, cappucinno, tea, bloody marys, beer, margaritas, g&t, martinis, bubbly, wine, scotch... it was a good week! Really enjoyed not thinking about things, just getting what I wanted, when I wanted it.

This has actually made my decision about my next cruise. We travelled on the equinox once before and loved it. I really wanted to do the hawaii tahitti on hal but realized that for 30 days it would end up with one whopping drink bill. So i have decided on the 15 day hawaii next march. I know that when i come off i wont be hyperventillating with my bar bill! I wish Hal would follow suit!:)

We would usually go to the same bar(s) so by the first day they knew we were on the classic package and they would sometimes ask for my card and sometimes not. We also added a little extra tip as the bartenders never let our glasses get low without saying another or can I get you something different. It was very simple.. it really did add to the feeling extra special on our trip.

Can any of you who had a classic confirm that the classic package does not include Bacardi rum (or any non-flavored rum)? I see on the premium package that Bacardi 8 Year and Pyrat XO are included, but it seemed to be a mistake that the classic package did not include any plain rum. I see Captain Morgan and Malibu in there, but no plain unflavored rum.

Can any of you who had a classic confirm that the classic package does not include Bacardi rum (or any non-flavored rum)? I see on the premium package that Bacardi 8 Year and Pyrat XO are included, but it seemed to be a mistake that the classic package did not include any plain rum. I see Captain Morgan and Malibu in there, but no plain unflavored rum.

I'm quite sure that virtually all of the rum is included. Every drink (from a bar) that is under $12 is included.

I've searched and searched (even posted a thread but no one answered) but does anyone know if there is any wine sold by the glass that is covered by the classic package in the Olympic speciality restaurant on the Millennium??

Thanks

I've searched and searched (even posted a thread but no one answered) but does anyone know if there is any wine sold by the glass that is covered by the classic package in the Olympic speciality restaurant on the Millennium??

Thanks

TO MIKE X FTC,

Based on previous postings... ALL of Celebrity's dining venues should be selling wine by the glass... with the Classic Alcohol Package you'd be looking for ones that are $ 8 are less. (As for specific names of wines, hopefully someone has posted photos or a wine list in the past... so hoping someone else can come along and give you the link to that info)

With the Premium Alcohol Package you can order $ 12 or less glasses, AND if the glass is more than $ 12 then you pay the difference (example $ 15 for a glass of French Champagne... then $ 3 is added to your daily account)

*NOTE - The $ 8 and $ 12 amounts quoted above refer to North American Sailings that are calculated as Gratuities Extra ($ 44 or $ 54 per person per day PLUS 15%)... European Sailings are calculated Gratuities in, so the base numbers are slightly different.

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks

We ate one night in the Olympic on Millennium just before Christmas with the Premium package. Although I can't quite specifically answer your question, we didn't even look at the wine list - just told the sommelier that we had the premium package and asked him to bring wines with appetizer and entreee (white then red) that went with our choices and fit within the package. I'm sure they will accomodate the classic package also.