Jamaica With Kids Beyond Dunn's River

Blk_Amish

The PURPOSE of this thread is to share ideas and pics about thing to do in Jamaica with your kids. I have been to all these places and most with my children, now 15 and 18. I recently cruised the Western Caribbean on Carnival Magic (4/13) plus 2 weeks land vacation (7/13). I did Turtle Town and Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman.

THIS IS FOR PARENTS CONSIDERING THESE PORTS BUT UNSURE WHAT TO DO

Ocho Rios sites:

Coyaba River Garden and Museum- My favorite for families with small children i This is a botanical garden with a mush smaller and more manageable waterfall to climb. You have a personal guide so great for family photo opt.

Shaw Park Garden - Botanical garden and waterfalls - Not a fall to climb but to go. This botanical garden and waterfalls overlooks Ocho Rios.

Blue Hole - Ocho Rios- simply amazing

Turtle River park - minutes from the pier

Island Village and Taj Mahl - Shopping Center with Margaritaville plus Ocho Rios Beach. Taj Mahl is across the street.

Mystic Mountain - great view but not if you are afraid of heights.

Nine Miles - Questionable for young children. There is a bud called herb that grows like weed but if you are fan of the music could be a hard call.

Falmouth - not much head the 45 or so to Ocho Rios

Resorts for day pass- we spent time as a family at these resorts.

Sunset Jamacia Grande- great for families and couples. This is close and visble form the pier in Ocho Rios

Couples San Souci - you can enjoy your day among charm and elegance

Sunset Beach and Spa - Montego Bay - great for families because of the water park. Note this resort has a topless beach on the east side of the resort. It offers off beach snorkeling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99954563@N05/sets/72157634980458380/

Negril - since it's 90 miles from Montego Bay, recommend with ship excursion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99954563@N05/sets/72157635059660855/

YS falls - music to the eyes but could be pushing it due to distance

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99954563@N05/sets/72157635066071222/

Hope this helps parents trying to decide. Since it's easier to travel to Mexico, we do most of our vacations there

Edited by Blk_Amish

Awesome post and thread to start Blk_Amish. It's very much appreciated (just wish you had something on Hilton Rose Hall :D).

I just wanted to add my review of Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios can be found in my signature line. It has tons of pictures and a complete review from our day there last year. I highly recommend it to those with children of any age. :)

Have done YS and Dunns. YS in my opinion was far nicer and enjoyable however Dunns was cool too. Would do YS again in a heartbeat would not do Dunns again. YS is less touristy and thus more natural. As noted by OP it may be tricky to get to and back if you're cruising.

Dunn's River is a been there, done that experience. I loved Coyaba with my kids.

@ mitsugirly, thank you - I would definitely give HRH a try. I loved, loved, loved Sunset Jamaican Grande but liked Sunset Beach and Spa.

The PURPOSE of this thread is to share ideas and pics about thing to do in Jamaica with your kids. I have been to all these places and most with my children, now 15 and 18. I recently cruised the Western Caribbean on Carnival Magic (4/13) plus 2 weeks land vacation (7/13). I did Turtle Town and Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman.

Where can I find info as to what you think of these excursions for families with small children? Thank you!

Where can I find info as to what you think of these excursions for families with small children? Thank you![/QUOTE]

Hi, I guess I will share my favorites and why. My kids are now 15 and 18 but travel a lot with them at an early age. My absolute favorite family excursion is Coyaba River Garden. First, it's not where most tourists go, so it's not crowded. It's a beautiful botanical garden with waterfall, that you can climb. It not as adventurous as Dunn's Rive but for us more enjoyable. The rocks are not as slippery so great for young ones. You have a personal guide (tipped:-) so family moments can be captured with all members. I love have a personal guide. It's $20 for an adult, which I think is pricey, but you are away from the crowd and you can stay as long as you wish. We do this every time, from toddlers to teens.

My next favorite is Shaw Park Garden, again water falls and botanical garden. There is also a personal guide. This gives you the entire view of the town Ocho Rios. You can't climb the waterfall but you can go in it with little little lagoons to splash. It's $10 per adult so nice break on rate.

The Blue Hole, is Ocho Rios biggest secret. My only reservation is there is a little hike through a rain forest like trail to the pools and falls. This tops Dunn's River 10 folds.

Ocho Rios Beach, is by the pier. You can exit the pier, turn right to Island Village Shopping Center, and enjoy the beach in front of Margaritaville. I like Margaritalville with the water slide.

If you are a Bob Marley fan with OLDER kids (open use of weed) then Nine Miles is a must do. However, have the driver go from Ocho Rios through Fern Gully (rain forest) to Nine Miles, but return through the town of Brown's Town, stopping at the market, to Runaway Bay and back to Ocho Rios. I love the drive from Runaway Bay to Ocho Rios.

I hope this helps if not ask away:D

Edited by Blk_Amish

• 1 month later...

Blk_Amish you have done a wonderful job breaking down children family excursions. Thank you for the pictures, awesome! My family and a large group of friends and their families will set sail on the Carnival Breeze March 2014. I have gone to Jamaica for land visits but with cruise ship time restrictions, I really want to plan ahead to get the greatest benefit. Thank you so much for your post

• 2 weeks later...
Blk_Amish you have done a wonderful job breaking down children family excursions. Thank you for the pictures, awesome! My family and a large group of friends and their families will set sail on the Carnival Breeze March 2014. I have gone to Jamaica for land visits but with cruise ship time restrictions, I really want to plan ahead to get the greatest benefit. Thank you so much for your post

You are welcome

Pauline

Blk_Amish... Have you heard anything about the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary? That's the hummingbird place where you can hand feed hummingbirds.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2253897-d150342-Reviews-Rocklands_Bird_Sanctuary-Wiltshire_Saint_James_Parish_Jamaica.html

I have done this recently. However, I like places like this simply because they provide an escape from the hassle and surrounded by a more peaceful vibe.

Thanks for the lovely info. Will be in Falmouth in 2 weeks with our 7/9 YO. Haven't planned a tour yet and getting close so we might just stay on the Oasis (I'm stressed thinking about planning a tour) but what do you think about Coyaba and Shaw Garden, green grotto caves and Good Hope Great House? We don't want to be too far from Falmouth and don't want to do Dunns or Blue Hole at their age. Can you recommend a tour company to set up a private tour? Thanks.

Thanks for the lovely info. Will be in Falmouth in 2 weeks with our 7/9 YO. Haven't planned a tour yet and getting close so we might just stay on the Oasis (I'm stressed thinking about planning a tour) but what do you think about Coyaba and Shaw Garden, green grotto caves and Good Hope Great House? We don't want to be too far from Falmouth and don't want to do Dunns or Blue Hole at their age. Can you recommend a tour company to set up a private tour? Thanks.

I can relate to wanting to do something but feeling stressed. Shaw Park Gardens and Coyaba are both botanical gardens with waterfalls, so no need to do both. My favorite is Coyaba because along with the garden, there is the waterfall to climb, like Dunn's River. The rocks are not slippery which is great with young kids. The disadvnatge is that it's more expensive than Shaw Park Garden. I can add more pics of Shaw Park garden if you like. I went to Green Gratto several times but years ago. It's a straight shot from Falmouth heading to Ocho Rios. I prefer the garden and waterfall option for young children.

Ocho Rios is in St. Ann, which is known as the garen parish. You will enjoy the overall lushness of the place.

I recommend Paul Williams (see TA for reviews) www.paulsjamaicatours.com

Pauline

which is closer to the Green Grotto? Shaw or Coyaba? I want to keep the drive in one direction if possible.

Green Grotto is in Discovery Bay so closer to Falmouth. Shaw Park and Coyaba are in Ocho Rios and pretty close to each other.

If you do Green Grotto then there is a nice beach in Discovery Bay called Puerto Seco -(private beach no hassle)

You could have lunch at Scotchies by Columbus Park in Discovery Bay with a lovey view. This is a part of the view and drive from Falmouth to Discovery Bay

Hope this helps:

Edited by Blk_Amish

Scotchies...is there any food that kids can eat that is not spicy. I'm just assuming the food will be spicy and i could be wrong.

It has more than spicy foods and things the kids will be able to try. There is jerk pork and chicken but I think you can get the sauce on the side, along with red beans and rice and I am 99.99 percent sure beef patties but I would stop for the jerk meat and the view. There is something called festival, corn dog without the hot dog, kid friendly.

Hope this helps

Edited by Blk_Amish

Discovery Bay is not very touristy so most days hasstle free.

Coyaba and Shaw Park Gardens- Less crowded with a persoanl guide. Most visitors head to Dunn's River Falls.

Dunn's River Falls - If you go and wish to keep your sanity, exit the falls through the entrance not the Peddlers Path. They are beyond agressive and pretty scary some days.

You can take a cab or walk from the pier to the Sunset Jamaica Grande. Exit the pier and turn left, straight shot to the resort. Turn right and head towards Margarittaville and Island Village. Across the street from the resort are shops for T-shirts and whats-not. Along the same side of the SJG, there is a craft market. I don't care for the pushiness so I use the shops.

Enjoy

This is a wonderful thread , thank you very much.

I think i will book Sunset Grande for the day on our upcoming cruise.

Is the market close by to walk for t shirts and souveneirs?

We loved Sunset Grande last year. Great place to spend the day and awesome opportunity to get some great pictures of the ship in port because it's right there in front of you when you're at the resort. :)