Recent Aruba stop

tbmrt

We were going to take the local bus to Eagle Beach, but enroute to the bus, we were stopped by a woman with a few white small buses charging $3 one way.

She dropped us off in front of MVC Resort and we paid $10 each for lounges. Beautiful sand, water a bit cooler than here in Florida. Still prefer St. Maarten or Jost Van Dyke beaches.

Driver would have taken us to Palm Beach or other locations on Eagle Beach for same price. She asked what time our group wanted to be picked up and we agreed to meet then.

We walked over the the Resort and were not at all impressed.

Decided to head back to the ship early and asked the very pleasant lounge chair attendant where to get the bus. He told us to wait at the stop (across from Resort by a yellow blank sign and rocks to sit on). Suggested we get a smaller white bus rather than a larger one to save a bit of $.

A small white van arrived promptly and asked if we were going to the port...Charged just $2 for the trip.

Unfortunately we didn't take time to shop the stores in Aruba afterward, but did get a few nice things from local vendors in a flea market near the port. Successfully bargained just a bit.

Barbara

Those "small white vans" are actually the main transportation system used by the locals...and they also welcome tourists. The vans are licensed and travel along many routes all day long...and will stop for anyone standing along the road who indicates they want a ride. You just tell the driver where you want to go, hop in, and pay a small fee to the driver. When we are in places like Eagle Beach and want to go back into town we simply walk out to the bus stop to wait for the next bus. Most of the time one of the van/taxis will stop before a bus gets to the stop and we quickly jump-in.

Hank

Can I ask what was it about the MVC Eagle Beach that you didn't like?

The beach itself was beautiful. I had commented that when I walked across the street to the resort itself, it looked pretty rundown.

The beach itself was beautiful. I had commented that when I walked across the street to the resort itself, it looked pretty rundown.

MVC isn't much of a resort. It is very basic and not at all indicative of the standard of other resorts in Aruba. It looks like an old motel from the outside. I believe that is was originally built for some other purpose, and once housed workers or soldiers, or something along those lines. I would never stay there, but the restaurant is pretty good. The beach in that area is across the street. It is wide, beautiful and public, with palapas and loungers belonging to MVC. We vacation in Aruba every year, and if I were coming to Aruba on a cruise, I would definitely spend the day on the beach there. Just don't expect much from the resort. Here in the US, I doubt that we would call it a resort at all.