We're onboard MSC's Divina. What do you want to know?

editor@cruisecritic

Hello from the Bay of Biscay -- onboard MSC's new Divina. We boarded yesterday at the shipyard (it's the first time I've ever cruised from a shipyard, pretty cool) at St. Nazaire and are heading south to stops in Lisbon, Cadiz for Seville, and Gibraltar before we hop off.

What can I tell you about the ship? Happy to answer any questions and post impressions from time to time (we're also chronicling the trip on Facebook, Twitter, and on our blog so stay tuned).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hello from Norway:)

We are in Yacht Club in early June and would love to know more about the YC area onboard.

I'm also curious about the infinity pool area.

How is MSC Divina compared to her earlier older sisters MSC Fantasia and MSC Splendida?

Enjoy your time onboard.

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

Hello from the Bay of Biscay -- onboard MSC's new Divina. We boarded yesterday at the shipyard (it's the first time I've ever cruised from a shipyard, pretty cool) at St. Nazaire and are heading south to stops in Lisbon, Cadiz for Seville, and Gibraltar before we hop off.

What can I tell you about the ship? Happy to answer any questions and post impressions from time to time (we're also chronicling the trip on Facebook, Twitter, and on our blog so stay tuned).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Would it be possible to inquire what itineraries are in the plans once the Divina is in the carribbean for late 2013, and if the Poesia will still be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks in advance

Hi, will check on itineraries -- good question! Yes, Poesia will stay in Ft. Lauderdale. The problem for Divina is that Port Everglades didn't have weekend space for her....

Carolyn

Would it be possible to inquire what itineraries are in the plans once the Divina is in the carribbean for late 2013, and if the Poesia will still be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks in advance

Thanks, Trish.

My husband has already -- after less than 24 hours onboard -- told me that we're going to sail Divina again once it comes to the Caribbean. I think it will be an awesome ship there -- so much outside deck space (it's kind of cold, though fortunately sunny, here in the Atlantic).

Carolyn

Have a great time. We are sailing on the Divina in October.:)

Hi Norwegian Cruiser. Before I respond I have a question: Did you do Yacht Club on either Fantasia or Splendida (no worries either way, just curious).

Carolyn

Hello from Norway:)

We are in Yacht Club in early June and would love to know more about the YC area onboard.

I'm also curious about the infinity pool area.

How is MSC Divina compared to her earlier older sisters MSC Fantasia and MSC Splendida?

Enjoy your time onboard.

Hi Norwegian Cruiser. Before I respond I have a question: Did you do Yacht Club on either Fantasia or Splendida (no worries either way, just curious).

Carolyn

We did Yacht Club on Fantasia last summer:) A great experience and we are very excited about MSC Divina and the YC onboard there. Thank you very much:)

Hi there,

We are booked on Divinia in October and are really looking forward to it. We've never done MSC before and have read mixed reviews about the availability of food/tea/coffee. Is Divinia quite different from RCCL in this way? Thank you and enjoy!!

Edited by travellersontour

Hi, I got more info. Divina will be sailing eastern and western Caribbean itineraries from Miami to the usual marquee ports (Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, along with Falmouth, in the west, and St. Maarten/St. Thomas in the east). But here's the cool news: On both swings the ship will call at NCL's Great Stirrup Cay, its private island.

At this point there's been no announcement about Poesia remaining in S. Florida during that winter season (remember we're talking Fall 2013, so a year and a half away). BUT I have heard rumors that a Poesia-class ship may well also be based in S. Florida over the winter months (and even that a Lirica-class vessel may ultimately, a couple of years down the road, be in North America year-round -- that's a first for MSC if that happens).

Carolyn

Thanks in advance

So far, the food's been on a par with Royal Caribbean -- sometimes wonderful, sometimes okay, generally just fine. There's 24-hour room service, the buffet's open for breakfast lunch and dinner (and then some), and there are 24-hour beverage stations so I don't think you need to worry!

What I really like about MSC as compared to many US-based lines is that the specialty restaurants are almost always open for lunch as well as dinner and that's in-port as well on sea days.

One thing to be aware of: In the specialty restaurants there's no service fee -- but you'll pay a'la carte prices. For instance, in Sacramento, the ship's steakhouse/burger joint, I had a (way too) massive cheeseburger with fries and a small beer for 8 euro. I thought it was good value.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Carolyn

Hi there,

We are booked on Divinia in October and are really looking forward to it. We've never done MSC before and have read mixed reviews about the availability of food/tea/coffee. Is Divinia quite different from RCCL in this way? Thank you and enjoy!!

Hi again! Thanks for the reply..glad food is good and I like the sound of the speciality restaurants.We are travelling with our 13yr old son who has asked if you can find out the price of the F1 simulator please? We are not sure if we should get him a teen card to pay for this-are you able to find out where else the teen card can be spent?

Thanks again-it is soooo useful to have you there on board! Hope you are continuing to enjoy xx

Hi, I got more info. Divina will be sailing eastern and western Caribbean itineraries from Miami to the usual marquee ports (Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, along with Falmouth, in the west, and St. Maarten/St. Thomas in the east). But here's the cool news: On both swings the ship will call at NCL's Great Stirrup Cay, its private island.

At this point there's been no announcement about Poesia remaining in S. Florida during that winter season (remember we're talking Fall 2013, so a year and a half away). BUT I have heard rumors that a Poesia-class ship may well also be based in S. Florida over the winter months (and even that a Lirica-class vessel may ultimately, a couple of years down the road, be in North America year-round -- that's a first for MSC if that happens).

Carolyn

Thank you

Great news...

We really enjoyed our MSC CRUISES and the European feel.

I'm on Divina in late July sailing from Venice.

Can you give an idea of what the bar prices are like please? A draught beer, glass of wine, bottle of wine, spirit and mixer etc.

Is there a self-service restaurant or a casual dining option should we not wish to use the main restaurant at any point?

Is there a 24 hour food service, or is it just set meal times?

I'm thinking of putting a bottle of whisky in my suitcase to take onboard - what is the likelihood of my suitcase being opened / scanned - am I wasting my time trying?

Will I get lost!?

Thanks

not seen a reply to my question as yet i hope all went well my msc opera ship visit did not go too well saw no cabins at all!!!

dave

Wouldn't worry about not having seen a cabin on the Opera, Dave, as they are not that similar to the Fantasia class ones. The Opera's are much smaller with fewer modern features eg no wifi in cabins, no interactive TV etc.

Edited by AmoMondo

I'm on Divina in late July sailing from Venice.

Can you give an idea of what the bar prices are like please? A draught beer, glass of wine, bottle of wine, spirit and mixer etc.

Is there a self-service restaurant or a casual dining option should we not wish to use the main restaurant at any point?

Is there a 24 hour food service, or is it just set meal times?

I'm thinking of putting a bottle of whisky in my suitcase to take onboard - what is the likelihood of my suitcase being opened / scanned - am I wasting my time trying?

Will I get lost!?

Thanks

Hopefully you'll get a reply directly from the cc editor but in case not, here's the answers to some of them.

There is now a casual dining option across the fleet for a limited period of time in the buffet in the evening. On the Fantasia class ship's you'll also have the options of speciality dining as an alternative but obviously that will cost extra.

Food is not available 24 hours. Breakfast and lunch are available for 3 hours (2 hours in MDR), although they occasionally extend the buffet time depending on port times. There is afternoon tea and then dinner, followed by snacks later. Expect a few hours in the morning and afternoon when none of the free options are a aklable. You can order room service anytime but that costs extra (except for breakfast which is free)

They are not very good at enforcing their dukes, so I thin you'd be unlucky if they were to confiscate your bottle of Whisky. Fairly good chance it will go unnoticed.

How about posting pictures pictures pictures lol lol :-)

Sea ya

Eric

Hal Westerdam March2012

Coral Princess Sep2011

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

One of the all-new concepts introduced by MSC on Divina is the infinity pool. But I don't know, it doesn't look like that to me -- looks like a pool with a very large tile "beach" -- what's your take?

Carolyn

No this does not appear to be an "infinity pool" by any definition. The closest I have seen to an infinity pool onboard ship is the beach pool on OASIS and ALLURE. Even it is not a true infinity pool, but it's probably the closest we will get onboard a ship.

Ernie

Hi Carolyn,

We're booked on the Divina for our first time sailing with MSC on June 16. I was wondering about the beverage cards since I heard MSC doesn't really have any free drinks (like lemonade or ice tea). My son loves virgin pina coladas and I was wondering if the Peter Pan virgin beverage card package was available onboard. They don't seem to be selling it on the MSC website. Also, are there any free cold drinks at all onboard?

Hello, I am going on a cruise on the Divina in July so I am very interessted in any informations about this beautifull ship. :) Please if you could tell me the price for F1 simulator and 4d cinema? :) Also I would like to know if there are any free drinks on board over the day ( for example on Msc Armonia we had water, tea and coffee available over the day - for free)? Have a great time onboard! :)

Edited by Miss_Cruiser