Eurodam passenger reported missing 11/29/12

Salacia

According to the Associated Press, a passenger was reported missing from the Eurodam earlier today. "Holland America said in a statement that the ship turned around and has joined the search for the missing passenger" -quoted from http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/washington-man-missing-caribbean-cruise-17839185

Best wishes to all concerned. -S.

According to the Associated Press, a passenger was reported missing from the Eurodam earlier today. "Holland America said in a statement that the ship turned around and has joined the search for the missing passenger" -quoted from http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/washington-man-missing-caribbean-cruise-17839185

Best wishes to all concerned. -S.

I read that the passenger was from Washington State, they didn't say where in Wa. I AM a praying woman, and WILL pray for the family and loved ones. please join me!!

Sadly, I haven't been able to find an updated report on the search for the missing passenger. Please, let there be good news soon. -S.

Aren't most of these overboard incidents suicides? In that case, what is the good news?

If not a suicide, number two reason is drunken stunt.

Has any one ever actually fallen overboard sober and by accident?

Aren't most of these overboard incidents suicides? In that case, what is the good news?

If not a suicide, number two reason is drunken stunt.

There have been those cases of possibly helpful spouses....

There have been those cases of possibly helpful spouses....

In which case she would hardly deserve anyone's prayers. I'll wait until more details are known before deciding where to express my sympathies, except that I do feel for any passengers put out by the search if it causes them to miss a port stop.

I certainly hope no foul play was involved. Who takes off their baseball cap and leaves it on the deck if it is suicide? I also wonder what deck it was.

One thing I would like to know in these cases, but you never hear it of course is, was this person gambling that night and if so were they a big winner or loser? If a winner, perhaps it is robbery for a motive, conversely if they were a big loser, could the losses drive them to commit suicide?

So many blame drink, but I wonder how much of it may be gambling? Whether it is on ship or on land it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately, the motive for the act is rarely reported.

My sympathies and prayers go out to this man's family and friends however it happened.

I certainly hope no foul play was involved. Who takes off their baseball cap and leaves it on the deck if it is suicide? I also wonder what deck it was.

. . . .

My sympathies and prayers go out to this man's family and friends however it happened.

People in a bad state of mind do strange things.

One of my daughter's friends killed himself when he was 15. He took off his glasses before jumping off a bridge and carefully put them in their case, in his pocket. That was one of the hardest things for his mother - she kept saying "I always told him to look after his glasses and not break them."

Sympathies to this man's family.

Why don't we reserve the detective work to the security staff on the ship and the Law Enforcement? We all saw what happened with the lady who asked where to put her grown son!

Right now, my prayers are for the man's spouse and his family.

Terri

Edited by tbrein

Why don't we reserve the detective work to the security staff on the ship and the Law Enforcement? We all saw what happened with the lady who asked where to put her grown son!

Right now, my prayers are for the man's spouse and his family.

Terri

I wasn't claiming anything as the reason, only that we never get the full story. The cruise lines are a bit averse to the publicity. Without more knowledge of what really happens, how do we prevent things from happening to ourselves or loved ones?

And yes, the comments on your referenced post were terrible.

"The Coast Guard has searched for a second day for a Washington state man missing from his Caribbean cruise but found no sign of him.

Coast Guard spokesman Ricardo Castrodad tells The Associated Press that two ships and a plane based in Florida were searching the ocean northwest of Puerto Rico on Friday. He said it remained an active search effort..." copied from

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/f00ffdeceef84e64957ede616462f088/CB--Puerto-Rico-Passenger-Overboard

I read that the passenger was from Washington State, they didn't say where in Wa. I AM a praying woman, and WILL pray for the family and loved ones. please join me!!

42 year old Jason Gregory Rappe & from Olympia WA.....praying for the family!

Edited by bugspost

Posting his name on here is a bit of an invasion of privacy for his wife and family, don't you think?

His name was in a story from one our local tv stations. Since he's named in that story online I wouldn't call posting it here an invasion of privacy.

My thoughts are with this man's family. Hope they find out what happened to him.

Yes, although usually teenagers or young adults. These man-overboard threads always lead to contributors claiming an accident is impossible, given the high railings, but that simply is not true. To my knowledge, though, it invariably involves someone using terrible judgement in climbing onto the railing.

Why in this case, especially involving an older gentleman? Of course, I have no idea as to this particular incident, but it is rather easy to come up with a number of possible scenarios which could lead to disaster for even a sober passenger.

For example, the gentleman goes onto the balcony to get that cool fresh sea air blowing on his face, then decides it would feel even better sitting on the railing; for as long as he holds onto the balcony divide what can go wrong.....

Or the guy who loves spotting constellations, if only he had a better safe perch.....

And so forth. Ridiculously dangerous behavior -- of course. But with millions sailing every year, I am sure some have tried just about anything one can think of, both drunk and sober.