They did it AGAIN!! Did the currency exchange against my instructions!

A Sixth?

We use a US fund credit card from a Canadian bank. I fill out the form to be charged in US (I.E. NO conversion).

Once they converted to Canadian, which would have meant that I paid their fee of 3% or whatever and then would have to pay my bank's fee of 2 1/2% to convert it back to US.

How stupid is that? I don't have to tell you that I did not let them get away with it. I go to the front desk a few times to remind them to leave it in US.

• 3 years later...

Celebrity did it to us again too, as I had made a photo of the agreement, where DCC was crossed out and USD charge selected, it was easy to dispute the charge with mastercard. Let see when X does the correct charge. As this is behaviour of X against the mastercard contract, you are fully entitled to dispute the charge.

Did you notice that this thread is 3 years old?

If it's only happened so seldom in three years, while I'm sorry it happened to you, it doesn't seem to be much of a pattern and more like an occasional oversight.

It happened to us in very single cruise with X or RCCL in the last years.

It was the thread aunt google found first:-)

• 2 years later...

Just back from Equinox May 14 sailing.

Once again, Celebrity have totally ignored the tick box on the Xpress Pass and billed my credit card using Dynamic Currency Conversion.

Last time Celebrity ignored my complaint and so I took it up with my credit card company. That was good for me, the Credit Card Co immediately credited my account with the total and then we waited and waited for Celebrity to sort it out - it took nearly 2 months!

I hope they ignore my complaint again!

So does Royal Caribbean, they both continue to ignore my wishes regarding this. Latest was 3 weeks ago on a Royal TA [emoji19]

Another re-awakening of a dead thread. But Celebrity definitely seems to have a problem following instructions

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Same happening to me in our past Eclipse cruise, They ignore the check box to charge in USCY. I suppose they are charging in the same currency as the booking. Next time upon boarding I will go to guest relations to insist that I want the charges in USCy.

this is my CC CELEBRITY ECLIPSE MXN WEYBRIDGE, SU

I have gotten in the habit of keeping a copy with me. I point out the choice at check in. I also go to customer service once aboard and make sure they verify the setting. When that doesn't work I simply dispute the charge with my credit card company. That generally works.

I believe most cruise lines are less than attentive to this setting because it profits from the service charge.

The problem is not the type of currency exchange that can even be better, the anger is the commission charged for the conversion, I think that is an abuse. If after insisting on relations with the client and they ignore, you have to dispute the charge with the bank. Keep a copy of your X-press pass and before disembarking request the printed balance.