Recent widow, thinking about solo cruise

Squeaky52

I lost my husband of 43 years last April and I've just been moping around since. We went on one cruise after retirement (to the Caribbean) and loved it. We had planned a cruise for this May to Alaska, but I cancelled it because I didn't want to go alone. I was wondering about other solo ladies and their experiences cruising alone.

i lost my husband a yr ago. since then i have gone on three cruises. two

with my sister and one solo. i loved all of them, but i had ther best time

on the solo cruise. i could do what i wanted when i wanted. i am leaving

tomorrow for my second cruise and expect to have a great time.

alaska was one of my favorite cruises.

Have cruised solo since the death of my husband (50 years married) in l998.

I remember that the first cruise was the most difficult, emotionally for me,the night before, I cried and cried. However I did it, and now have no problem emotionally. I miss Jim very much but we travelled the world together and he certainly would not wish me to sit at home lost in depression.

I suggest that you look for roll call, go to the meet, that will mean you have faces you can relate to as you go around the ship. I also suggest that you ask for a large table for dinner for conversation.

Talk to strangers, I am sure you will find other females travelling alone, but if you go for a cocktail, you can if there is a spare seat ,join a couple - ask first if they mind of course

Keep your conversation light and cheerful, no one wants to listen to a" whining Millie".

Join a ship tour in a strange port, you will feel more comfortable this first time doing that.

I wish you well and hope that you will enjoy not just your first cruise but others to come.

Lynn

I have also been cruising solo since I lost my husband in 2002 and absolutely love it. I personally think it is the best way to go.

I agree with Jimsgirl, talk to folks and definitely try to get seated at a large table.

My first cruise I was seated with a group of solo cruisers of varying ages and had a blast.

Pam

Have cruised solo since the death of my husband (50 years married) in l998.

I remember that the first cruise was the most difficult, emotionally for me,the night before, I cried and cried. However I did it, and now have no problem emotionally. I miss Jim very much but we travelled the world together and he certainly would not wish me to sit at home lost in depression.

I suggest that you look for roll call, go to the meet, that will mean you have faces you can relate to as you go around the ship. I also suggest that you ask for a large table for dinner for conversation.

Talk to strangers, I am sure you will find other females travelling alone, but if you go for a cocktail, you can if there is a spare seat ,join a couple - ask first if they mind of course

Keep your conversation light and cheerful, no one wants to listen to a" whining Millie".

Join a ship tour in a strange port, you will feel more comfortable this first time doing that.

I wish you well and hope that you will enjoy not just your first cruise but others to come.

Lynn

You may remember us from the Sapphire Princess Transpacific cruise, we certainly remember you. For the OP, if you go on a cruise with the same mindset as Lynn, you can be sure to enjoy it. We had a wonderful cruise. Although I am fortunate in that I have my DH to travel with, I am sure that cruising is without doubt the best way for a single person to travel. Elaine

You may remember us from the Sapphire Princess Transpacific cruise, we certainly remember you. For the OP, if you go on a cruise with the same mindset as Lynn, you can be sure to enjoy it. We had a wonderful cruise. Although I am fortunate in that I have my DH to travel with, I am sure that cruising is without doubt the best way for a single person to travel. Elaine

I got tired of finding people to share a cabin with me and having my actions influenced by them. I do still cruise with friends sometimes. But, now if I don't have someone to cruise with and am willing to pay the extra to go solo I have no issue with it.

I totally agree with them to join the meet and greet roll call. I have had such wonderful people to go on excursions with and eat with and to get to know. This time I am going on a hosted singles. Now I have both the cruisecritic roll call and the single group Yahoo. Kinda fun to know a lot of fellow passengers and have so many options.... or I can just hide. :)

So sorry about your loss. Though your pain is still very sharp, it's best to not mope around. It is imperative you do things, like cruising, that bring you joy. When my husband died, I started cruising with my teenage sons. Now they are grown, and I, too, tired of asking my married friends to accompany me.

I love solo cruising!

This past summer, I did a 12 day Mediterrnean cruise! The only sad part of this story is my husband, who died at age 48, never cruised , and he would have loved cruising....lesson learned: live each day as if it were your last! So cruise away!

I too am sorry for your loss and can relate. I lost my husband in March 2011. We had a cruise booked for September. I cancelled it, rebooked with family, they had to cancel and then I ended up on my own. I had a wonderful time. The next summer I did a cruise with 3 friends and really liked the solo better.

It occured to me that traveling w/ my hubby was close to going solo! I did all the planning and sharing a cabin w/ him was no big deal because we were used to each other and I could just tell him to move something if it was in his way (and vice versa), where w/ a friend, you have to be sensitive to sharing and keeping the mess to a minimum.

I met some nice people, got on the roll call, and had a great table for dinner. Now I've booked the Celebrity Constellation for a 12 day Black Sea & Greek Isles cruise solo! If a friend wants to join me it would be great, but only if they get their own cabin and it's understood that if I'm not interested in something they like (and vice versa), no hard feelings. We just do our own thing.

I think the only thing that I would like a friend for is when we're in Istanbul, I have so many great memories that I would like to share them while walking around sightseeing and shopping. Oh well, you can't have everything! Besides that, I think the best part of going solo that 1st time is my Husbands illness had turned (both of us ) into victims. I was so sick of having life punching me in the gut that it felt good to just make a plan and follow it thru. The solo trip gave me back a feeling of control, and I had my invisible ghost (my DH) with me all the time and in my mind I shared the trip w/ him.

For those posting here who are widowed, my condolences. I, too, had the love of my life pass away in November of 2008. I took two singles' cruises in the Caribbean, and it was not for me. So, I thought I would test going solo this past November.

I sailed out of San Juan on the Celebrity Summit, and I had a BLAST. Due to the TA I had and being a solo, I could not opt for traditional dining. That was a bummer for me, because one of the things I missed out on with the singles groups was that dinner was always at 8:30, and you pretty much missed the shows since our cocktail events were just ahead of dinner. The first night on my solo, I had arranged to be seated at a large table at 6. Well, there were 3 couples, none of whom knew each other, and a single male (don't get excited). We all hit it off so well (except for the solo male) that we ate together every night thereafter at 6. We even went to shows together. It was a great time.

As for sea days, I found people very friendly at the pools, in the shops, etc. Also, the excursions were a lot of fun. I always find a family to adopt me or other singles, so it works out fine.

Just go with NO EXPECTATIONS, and you will be fine. Personally, I've been married twice: once to a jerk; and once to the love of my life. C'est la vie!

Oh God! The thought of a singles cruise makes me cringe! I was a solo on a ship with a singles cruise, and those poor folks had to wear beaded necklaces with their names on them! I've not had a bad experience, yet, as a solo. It's way easier on NCL Epic, but I lucked out thru CC meeting a new friend on my Med cruise....

• 2 weeks later...

I just cruised solo on Europe and had a blast.

I found some other cruisers who stayed in my pre cruise hotel...so we shared a water taxi both to the hotel and to the ship.

I ask to be joined a group of solo ladies at dinner whom I was also taking several tours with. You can get your booking corss referenced to others to get seated together in dining room.

There is a group of 80 that met on cruise critic for the Europe cruise and keep in touch via another site. (Cruise critic also has past cruiser groups).

I had four days post cruise on my own.

I missed my cruise buddies to talk with.

I just signed up for a solo Australia New Zealand cruise.

Right now four other couples are signed up on cruise critic.

I'd say if you use cruise critic to book some private tours as a group

you will have buddies.

I did one tour bought by the ship and ended up by myself.

It was fine for touring as a group. I did have some alone time.

I introduced myself to folks on the ship.

I could have had more company had I wanted to.

I got a balcony cabin which means more alone time

(unless you invite friends).

I am married (26 years). I go alone because he doesnt want to go.

He is happy that I go for it.

I'd love to find a travel buddy. Not to share a room...but to share other experiences, have dinner with....just have fun.

At home I do things with Meetup.com. I find Kayak buddies.

I suggest you first find a cruise on cruise critic...and read the messages board. See if there are some folks you like, some openings on a tour, maybe someone local, and then sign up.

Good luck...

Maybe I'll meet you some time.

Some of the cruise lines are now booking single cabins.

Or you can book some cheaper insides and one balcony...and

meet up! Or even get side by side balconies and open the partition.

I usually get a larger balcony.

I lost my husband of 43 years last April and I've just been moping around since. We went on one cruise after retirement (to the Caribbean) and loved it. We had planned a cruise for this May to Alaska, but I cancelled it because I didn't want to go alone. I was wondering about other solo ladies and their experiences cruising alone.

I live in Scotland and sadly lost my husband last year to Motor Neurone disease (Lou Gehrigs). We did lots of cruising so it was a big decision to go it alone and I must admit I was a nervous wreck when I set off on my first cruise alone . It was not the same without him however I did enjoy it and its really helped my self confidence. I have now booked one for this year.

The only advise I would give is to perhaps avoid NCL or any of the other lines that do anytime dining options as you are less likely to meet people. I felt very safe on the cruise, a lot more than I would of, if I had just stayed at a resort hotel . I think cruising is fantastic for solo travellers, its just a pity that we end up paying almost double for the cabin. I have shopped around a lot and managed to get my up and coming cruise at no supplement so that was a great incentive to book .

I think you should get yourself booked up as soon as possible because if your husband was as great a man as mine I know for a fact that's what he would want you to do.

Good luck and have a good time,

Cruising is a great vacation for solo travelers and the previous posters provide some great tips. The roll calls definitely help. While cruising solo a few years back, I corresponded with a few couples from Canada and wound up spending most of my time with them. I've also gone on a singles cruise since many of the women are older and cruising solo. It was okay, but I'd only do it again to snag the solo rate.

My condolences to the widows. I've been married 33 years and can only imagine how difficult it can be.

I cannot say anything different than has already been said because I do everything that everyone else has suggested. Just wanted to add if your schedule is flexable then watch for deals because sometimes you can get deals for solo cruisers. I am doing a transatlantic in April that I did nt have to pay 200% for and that makes a huge difference.

I hope you won't mind me contributing to this thread as I am coming from a slightly different angle but hope you will find the post interesting.

Firstly, I am a man and secondly I am in England and my only solo cruise experience was on P&O UK. That said however, I was widowed last June when Tony, my partner of 26 years died. He had been through a lot of treatment over some time with his cancer and so by October of last year I really needed a break and some pampering.

I booked a 17-night cruise to the Eastern Mediterranean and also took Tony's ashes with me as he wanted them to be scattered at sea. P&O were fantastic from the start and everyone involved in the arrangements was superb.

I had asked for a large table on fixed dining (second seating) and was allocated a table for 6. It was apparently 6 solo travellers but only 4 of us turned up. My 3 table companions were all ladies and also had all been widowed. They were all lovely and very supportive. We enjoyed every evening together at dinner and mostly went off for a drink or to see a show together after dinner.

P&O have a daily morning coffee meeting for solo travellers in one of the lounges, hosted by some of the entertainment officers. This was a good opportunity to pop in and meet other solo travellers without any pressure at all. Naturally, I then bumped into many of them around the ship.

I had also joined a roll-call on the P&O UK website and made some good friends from that before and during the cruise.

I am a fairly outgoing person but as you might imagine it was a difficult cruise for me. I did however really enjoy the vast majority of my time aboard and will now have no hesitation in cruising solo whenever I need - or want - to.

As I say, my experiences are from a slightly different angle but I hope it is of some interest.

Edited by Britboys
addition

Yes, Andrew, it is good to hear about a solo cruise from another perspective. I was recently widowed in Nov. 2012. I surprised myself even thinking about going on a cruise by myself. Do's and don'ts keep popping into my head, so of course I can't make a decision. As much as I feel the need to get away, I can't get myself to go ahead with it. Madmarti:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot say anything different than has already been said because I do everything that everyone else has suggested. Just wanted to add if your schedule is flexable then watch for deals because sometimes you can get deals for solo cruisers. I am doing a transatlantic in April that I did nt have to pay 200% for and that makes a huge difference.

I see that you are doing a transatlantic in April. What cruise line and what date are you going? I am going with my girlfriend on Royal (Liberty of the Seas) 4/8/13

Yes, Andrew, it is good to hear about a solo cruise from another perspective. I was recently widowed in Nov. 2012. I surprised myself even thinking about going on a cruise by myself. Do's and don'ts keep popping into my head, so of course I can't make a decision. As much as I feel the need to get away, I can't get myself to go ahead with it. Madmarti:eek:

I know your dilema. I am doing a transatlantic with my girlfriend (both of us recently widowed) on 4/8/13 aboard the Royal - Liberty of the Seas I/we have been talking too many on the roll call and they have lots of social activities planned. There is already 158 people registered for Meet & Mingle (Wow). I am sure your deceased wife would want you to continue to enjoy your life just as I believe our husbands would want that for us. There is never a good time to begin but everyday of unhappiness and lonliness is just a wasted day. Look at the cruise. Very inexpensive for 12 days of sheer relaxation and fun which I am sure you could probably use a little of. Please do not think we are looking for anything but to see others like us live the rest of their lives being contend with the time we all have left.

• 2 weeks later...

Madmarti---

First, our heartfelt sympathies go out to you. We have such fond memories of meeting up with you and Hank at the Meet and Mingle after many months of discussions on the roll call for our 2011 cruise aboard the Allure. You are definitely a people person and got along well with everyone. Go ahead and make that decision to take another cruise and give yourself the opportunity to make new friendships. You really deserve it! Participating in another roll call will be a fresh start in making new friends before you cruise -- but you certainly know that well. Our thoughts and best wishes will be with you.

We had a cruise booked when he was diagnosed with Cancer in May 2011. He died one week before the Cruise in October 2011. My husband, my best friend, my soul mate. I took my daugters on a little short cruise in October 2012 on the one year anniversary and we were allowed to spread my dh ashes at sea.

April 13, 2013 - I will be sailing with 9 widows who have become friends in the past 17 months since I was widowed. I'm really looking forward to this trip. My dh travels with me where ever I go. I know he would want me to be living. When every he'd leave for work, or I left for whatever even if just for a short time, he always said to me... "Have fun Baby!"

Hugs and good luck learning to cruise solo! Hugs!

I haven't been on the boards for a while, until, today. Chuck and Shirley I am so glad you found me. It is so nice to hear from someone from a past cruise. Thanks for all of the nice things you said and for your sympathies. Hope you are both well. I am reminded that you are from Michigan. Our church is sponsoring a trip to Macinak Island, this summer and I was thinking about that. What do you think? Again, it was so nice to hear from you, Madmarti:)

I haven't been on the boards for a while, until, today. Chuck and Shirley I am so glad you found me. It is so nice to hear from someone from a past cruise. Thanks for all of the nice things you said and for your sympathies. Hope you are both well. I am reminded that you are from Michigan. Our church is sponsoring a trip to Macinak Island, this summer and I was thinking about that. What do you think? Again, it was so nice to hear from you, Madmarti:)

We think you will love taking a trip to Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) Island. It is very scenic and you will enjoy the trip through northern Michigan to get there. There is no automobile traffic on the island, so you either walk, take a horse and carriage or bicycle around. Will you be staying on the island? Be sure to see the Grand Hotel and have some delicious fudge too. (There are fudge shops everywhere with tons of flavors.)

Hope you are doing well and also decide to take that solo cruise. We wish you the best. (You do have to take the ferry to the island, so that can be your first cruise :D )

Chuck L., thanks for the insight. I have been looking on trip advisor to find out what I can. I did see the Grand Hotel and also to buy the fudge. It is suppose to be a 10 day trip, taking a bus from Long Island, stopping in Pittsburgh and someplace else. I don't have the details, yet, but I did know about taking the ferry and no autos. I am still looking at cruises, they all appeal to me but I can't take the leap, yet. I think the Michigan trip will probably be my first, without Hank. Be well, stay in touch, madmarti