What the H is a 2 category upgrade....

PresDuLac

and when would I see it?

When I test book ES or PG, I get the same room selections but a price diff of $40.

So, exactly, what is the benefit of paying more for a PG booking?

Do they surprise you with an unknown upgrade or what?

This is a big deal for me because I definitely want a balcony on the Lido and that's what I'm choosing.

If that's the case, am I better off just booking ES?

TIA to all of you

You're an invaluable source of information and a fun bunch too

edited to add: I understand the deposit aspect of the prices but that's a non issue for me because if I had to cancel, a lost deposit would be the least of my worries because I'd probably be dead - only reason I can think of. :-)

Edited by PresDuLac

It usually just means a higher deck. These upgrades don't mean anything to me, as I prefer to be lower in the ship. It's not like it's a free upgrade from oceanview to balcony, for example.

Ah, making more sense to me now.

As a PG, my rate is $40 more but choosing Lido deck is included.

ES charges me $50 more for Lido deck so I save $10 as a PG.

On second thought... No it doesn't! I'm looney!

The only benefit is the deposit, cancellation and change fees.

Still costs me $50 more for Lido no matter.

Edited by PresDuLac

Common way for them to do a sale. Honestly, not a great offer, compared to some others that I've seen before. Usually upgrades within the same type (eg interior, balcony, etc) are ~$20 per category. So a two category upgrade would equate to an approximate savings of $40. Of course it all depends how much you value your room location and such as well as the terms (such as cancellation) of the booking.

• 4 years later...

I was wondering about this as well! Just booked a cruise online using my vifp #, and got the half off deposit and the $50 stateroom credit but saw nothing about upgrades. Booked the last aft-balcony stateroom available, so its not like they can change my room within the same category, so what heck is gonna be upgraded?

An upgrade sale does not involve a change in cabins. It is a change in pricing for particular cabins.

For instance balcony cabins are subdivided into several categories depending mostly on location. An 8A balcony sells for less than an 8B balcony, etc.

A two category upgrade means during the time of that kind of sale an 8B and an 8C cabin will be priced the same as an 8 A.

This applies only in like categories e.g. Interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view. And it often excludes the premium levels within the category such as aft-extended balconies and spa cabins.

Check the fare viewer site. It is clearly demonstrated there.

An upgrade sale does not involve a change in cabins. It is a change in pricing for particular cabins.

For instance balcony cabins are subdivided into several categories depending mostly on location. An 8A balcony sells for less than an 8B balcony, etc.

A two category upgrade means during the time of that kind of sale an 8B and an 8C cabin will be priced the same as an 8 A.

This applies only in like categories e.g. Interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view. And it often excludes the premium levels within the category such as aft-extended balconies and spa cabins.

Check the fare viewer site. It is clearly demonstrated there.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!