Planning before and after the cruise

canadadreamer

We will be taking our very first cruise, which will be out of the Port of Miami. We will be flying in at 10 pm with 2 kids, so honestly we will be arriving at the hotel and ordering a pizza and chilling in the room. We are thinking of getting a room at Springhill Suites Miami Airport at 6700 7th St, only because of the free shuttle from the airport, breakfast and the good reviews on Trip Advisor. Although they do have a shuttle service to port, I think a taxi would serve us better.

1) Any idea how much a taxi would be from the hotel to port?

2) Our ship leaves port at 4 pm. When should we plan on arriving to board the ship?

3) How much would the taxi or a shuttle be from port to the airport.

4) Our flight leaves at 7 pm so not sure how to occupy our time until then

Any help would be appreciated.

We will be taking our very first cruise, which will be out of the Port of Miami. We will be flying in at 10 pm with 2 kids, so honestly we will be arriving at the hotel and ordering a pizza and chilling in the room. We are thinking of getting a room at Springhill Suites Miami Airport at 6700 7th St, only because of the free shuttle from the airport, breakfast and the good reviews on Trip Advisor. Although they do have a shuttle service to port, I think a taxi would serve us better.

1) Any idea how much a taxi would be from the hotel to port?

2) Our ship leaves port at 4 pm. When should we plan on arriving to board the ship?

3) How much would the taxi or a shuttle be from port to the airport.

1. Use an uber it's going to be around $20-$30 for a large enough vehicle but will be cheaper than a cab.

2. Be there no later than, but earlier is better.

3. Around the same as #1

4. Can't help there.

Hth

Not sure which line you are cruising, but if you leave the hotel after 10:30, arriving after 11:00, you are good. Some ships allow boarding around then, some have you wait till closer to noon. We prefer arriving after noon as there is an anxious crowd early. Your kids will probably be excited to get going.

Post cruise, with kids, I'd rent a car. Take a ride to the Everglades. Maybe visit Hollywood Beach, renting bikes on the broadwalk. You don't say the ages, but teens would love to see South Beach. Or take a water tour or hop on hop off bus tour. Lots for you to research.:D

The port to airport is a flat rate of $27...maybe 28. (Not sure of current fare. )There will be suv cabs that will carry all of you and luggage.

Edited by eandj

If you do the rental car option after the cruise, you wont need a taxi or uber leaving the ship... The rental car companies have shuttles to the pickup locations as follows:

Alamo / National / Enterprise / Thrifty / Dollar - use the Miami airport location

Hertz - use the 229 Southeast 2nd Street location

Budget - use the 89 SE 2nd St location

Avis - use the 99 SE 2nd St location

1) Any idea how much a taxi would be from the hotel to port? UberXL or a mini-van taxi will run about $30 -- ask the front desk to call the cab for you; they know who is reliable

2) Our ship leaves port at 4 pm. When should we plan on arriving to board the ship? The hotel will want you out before noon; we like to check in about 11 or so and enjoy lunch on the ship

3) How much would the taxi or a shuttle be from port to the airport. Flat rate cab fare from POM to MIA is $27+tip

Post cruise you can pay to store your bags at MIA and then catch the Airport Flyer bus to Miami Beach for about $3 each - site seeing, lunch, people watching, etc.

Some of the larger South Beach hotels offer day passes to their pool/spa facilities for about $25 per person -- tip the staff to store your bags while you swim, sun. relax, lunch, etc.

Or rent a car, put your bags in the trunk, and go where you want. National, Alamo, Thrifty & Enterprise offer free shuttle service between POM and their MIA airport location.

If you do the rental car option after the cruise, you wont need a taxi or uber leaving the ship... The rental car companies have shuttles to the pickup locations as follows:

Alamo / National / Enterprise / Thrifty / Dollar - use the Miami airport location

Hertz - use the 229 Southeast 2nd Street location

Budget - use the 89 SE 2nd St location

Avis - use the 99 SE 2nd St location

This may be a silly question, but is there anyway that we can pick up a rental car at the POM? I am assuming when we drop it off, the company will shuttle us to the airport as is customary.

I see that Uber is often suggested here. We don't use much in my neck of the woods, but I assume that it is a safe and reliable option?

It is the best option in Miami. It is safe and extremely reliable. You should be able to find a first time user discount/credit too.

This may be a silly question, but is there anyway that we can pick up a rental car at the POM? I am assuming when we drop it off, the company will shuttle us to the airport as is customary.

Unlike airports, none of the companies have a rental counter or cars stored at the cruise ports... which is why you need the shuttle to the car rental counter.

The list I posted earlier shows the locations for each major company that have a free shuttle to port of Miami. You can also rent from other locations in the area, but you would need to arrange your own transportation to them.

Unlike airports, none of the companies have a rental counter or cars stored at the cruise ports... which is why you need the shuttle to the car rental counter.

The list I posted earlier shows the locations for each major company that have a free shuttle to port of Miami. You can also rent from other locations in the area, but you would need to arrange your own transportation to them.

Great info and much appreciated!!!

We will be on the Norwegian Escape, and I am travelling with 2 teen boys. Fantastic info. I am thinking renting a car would be the way to go for us, and maybe visiting the Everglades or South beach. Thanks sooo much for the info!!!!

You won't have time for the Everglades.

You won't have time for the Everglades.

Yes I looked into that and determined it was not going to work already.

Actually may change things up. The flights to FLL are so much cheaper, so considering flying into FLL and spending the night at a hotel around there. Is it doable to rent a car that morning to drive from the FLL area to POM if we leave around 9 am? Maybe a taxi or Uber may be a better option?

Sorry for all the questions, planning on the cruise seems like a breeze compared to the arrangements before and after.

Lots of Miami cruisers choose to save $$ and fly into FLL.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL hotel and tourist info. For 4 plus bags to POM you'll need either an SUV/mini-van taxi (about $75+tip) or UberXL (about the same fare), or you can use on of the popular shared shuttle services (SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport, etc.) with fares starting at about $15 per person each way. After you find your hotel check the shuttle company web sites - they list the hotels they pick up at, which will save you a trip back to the airport.

The drive from FLL area to POM takes about 45-60+ min. I would look for return flights leaving FLL starting at about noon. Have a great cruise!

Yes I looked into that and determined it was not going to work already.

Actually may change things up. The flights to FLL are so much cheaper, so considering flying into FLL and spending the night at a hotel around there. Is it doable to rent a car that morning to drive from the FLL area to POM if we leave around 9 am? Maybe a taxi or Uber may be a better option?

Sorry for all the questions, planning on the cruise seems like a breeze compared to the arrangements before and after.

If you are going to rent a car then you might as well do it at the airport upon your arrival. That way you will have transportation to any hotel of your choice and you can get an early start to go somewhere in the morning if you want or just run to the grocery store or Total Wine for last minute supplies.

I never arrive at the port before 2:00 PM because I don't like standing in line after line. If you leave Ft Lauderdale by noon you will still have time to drop everyone and the luggage off at the port, return the car to MIA and catch the shuttle back to POM. If you leave at 9:00-10:00 AM you will have time to do some sight-seeing such as a run over to South Beach.

Our last cruise was out of Miami and we flew into Fort Lauderdale. Our flight home was also at 7 pm. We got a day pass at the Savoy Hotel in Miami. I believe it was $25 each. It was well worth it. It is right next to the beach, has a pool, restaurant etc. We arranged for a shuttle to pick us up at the hotel around 3:30 to take us to the airport. Worked great!

Our last cruise was out of Miami and we flew into Fort Lauderdale. Our flight home was also at 7 pm. We got a day pass at the Savoy Hotel in Miami. I believe it was $25 each. It was well worth it. It is right next to the beach, has a pool, restaurant etc. We arranged for a shuttle to pick us up at the hotel around 3:30 to take us to the airport. Worked great!

This sounds exactly what we are looking for. I am very interested in knowing how you arrived at the hotel, and what shuttle did you use to travel back to Fort Lauderdale airport? That would be a nice ending to a family vaca:D

This sounds exactly what we are looking for. I am very interested in knowing how you arrived at the hotel, and what shuttle did you use to travel back to Fort Lauderdale airport? That would be a nice ending to a family vaca:D

Hi, we used Go Airport shuttle. We arrived in FLL at 7pm and they took us to our hotel in Miami. It was a bit of a milk run as lots of others on the shuttle. The cost was $75 Canadian. I understand the shuttles are more expensive at night. Uber might have been a better option, but we weren't really familiar with Uber at that time and according to my research the shuttle was cheaper than a taxi.

At the end of the cruise we spent the day at Savoy hotel in Miami. The day pass was $25 and they stored our luggage for a cost of $5 per bag. We had pre-arranged Go shuttle to pick us up at 3:45 to make our 7 pm FLL flight. The cost for this shuttle was $40. No milk run this time :) The Savoy did say that the bellman could arrange transportation but we had already arranged the shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

I always use Uber to the port much cheaper.

Arrive at port around 11 enjoy lunch on the ship you paid for it [emoji39]

Upon return we book a day stay at rodeway inn Fort Lauderdale $60 for up to 4ppl you get a room to shower, nap keep your luggage. Go swimming and there is a great restaurant on site. Included is a free shuttle to airport as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums