Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus...PLEASE TAKE MOSQUITO SPRAY, this is serious

Dear CC Family,

We returned back on the Allure of the Seas on Sunday 06/08 and did the Western route to Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico. For the first time ever, a mosquito bite went from a dime size to an orange size on my leg. Along with a fever of 104, sore throat, cancer sore on my tongue, lymph node under my left arm, severe back pain, cold sweats, hives all over my body and the inability to move my arms or walk!

Luckily with the proper medical attention and anti-biotics I survived but it ruined the last couple days of my cruise. Please take heed to this warning in the news and use mosquito/bug spray while visiting the Caribbean.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-states-report-cases-mosquito-borne-chikungunya-virus-204725288.html;_ylt=A0LEVxLgTJtTuUUAYP9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByaHEyNGMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

Thanks for reading and take care!

:eek::eek::eek: I am so sorry this happened to you. This is SCARY.

We are leaving in 22 days, but we are going to Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and Turks and Caicos.

I need to go back and see if these are on the list.

Did you see the ship's doctor, or off the ship?

Glad you are feeling better.

Thanks for the warning!

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you, but glad that you are recovering!

DD and I will be on a similar itinerary on the Freedom in August, and I have been apprehensive about this illness. Will definitely take the super product that we took with us to French Polynesia last summer ~ Bugg Spray. It was very effective and does not smell as bad as other products.

:eek::eek::eek: I am so sorry this happened to you. This is SCARY.

We are leaving in 22 days, but we are going to Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and Turks and Caicos.

I need to go back and see if these are on the list.

Did you see the ship's doctor, or off the ship?

Glad you are feeling better.

Thanks for the warning!

Yes, please take precaution. It is spreading heavily in the DR right now so please be careful.

I couldn't take the pain anymore and suffered a $800 Medical Bill from the Medical Facility. They were outstanding and reduced the fever within hours through an IV along with anti-biotics and steroids. I returned home and saw a doctor as well. It is a viral infection, so it takes time to wear off. But I am feeling SO much better, thank you!

Make sure you get a GOOD spray too. Id recommend something like this below.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27296_-1__?N=401310245&affcode=42&kwid=ps_cse&cid=PLA_004775987&gclid=CjgKEAjwwuqcBRCSuoivmIPnkwQSJACpqj3k8Fhd5u6dPOHR5SWgcibSMdqNrSkMH6uGAltQH6B6hPD_BwE

Id also highly recommend a Thermacell as well if someone is going to be sitting around anywhere for an extended time down there but they may not allow it onboard. I just dont know.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ThermaCELL-Mosquito-Repellent-Olive-Drab-Appliance/1220217.uts?productVariantId=2979916&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1220217&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=628BD3DC-C393-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotion&mr:ad=30640534271&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=58018121231&gclid=CjgKEAjwwuqcBRCSuoivmIPnkwQSJACpqj3kvVUAPe3sq7vFckaiG5gwkAmrDbX6hSnnlXXvqiNZc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Im a diehard spring time wild turkey hunter and avid outdoorsman in general. Both of these are lifesavers in the woods for spring and summer.

I will definitely check into these sprays, I am returning to the Western Caribbean in November, and I have an upcoming camping trip! Thanks for the tip!

Looks like it has shown up in four US states now:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/06/13/more-states-report-cases-mosquito-borne-chikungunya-virus/

Sorry you had to endure that:(

Yes, its spreading... luckily, its not in the US but those that have returned from the Caribbean are experiencing this allergic reaction/viral infection. Its serious if not treated.

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you, but glad that you are recovering!

DD and I will be on a similar itinerary on the Freedom in August, and I have been apprehensive about this illness. Will definitely take the super product that we took with us to French Polynesia last summer ~ Bugg Spray. It was very effective and does not smell as bad as other products.

Thanks for your blessings!

Have a great time on your upcoming trip, didn't mean to scare you. I hear Skin So Soft by Avon smells good and works as well. Good luck! :)

Dear CC Family,

We returned back on the Allure of the Seas on Sunday 06/08 and did the Western route to Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico. For the first time ever, a mosquito bite went from a dime size to an orange size on my leg. Along with a fever of 104, sore throat, cancer sore on my tongue, lymph node under my left arm, severe back pain, cold sweats, hives all over my body and the inability to move my arms or walk!

Luckily with the proper medical attention and anti-biotics I survived but it ruined the last couple days of my cruise. Please take heed to this warning in the news and use mosquito/bug spray while visiting the Caribbean.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-states-report-cases-mosquito-borne-chikungunya-virus-

204725288.html;_ylt=A0LEVxLgTJtTuUUAYP9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByaHEyNGMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

That stinks for your cruise. We are on the same itinerary in October. Can you share which excursions you did? Maybe there is some to avoid? Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely pack bug spray. I hope you continue to feel better. You deserve a do over.

That stinks for your cruise. We are on the same itinerary in October. Can you share which excursions you did? Maybe there is some to avoid? Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely pack bug spray. I hope you continue to feel better. You deserve a do over.

On Tuesday, we laid on the beach in Labadee, Haiti at Barefoot Beach. The following day, we went to Montego Bay from Falmouth. I believe I was bit in Jamaica. On Thursday evening, I could barely walk up the stairs. I forced myself to go to the formal - lobster tails! Afterwards, it was one thing after another, all the symptoms hit me!

But don't let this scare you, just take precaution and enjoy your vaca! I'm definitely gonna try to enjoy myself next time and purchase the insurance ;)

Yes, its spreading... luckily, its not in the US but those that have returned from the Caribbean are experiencing this allergic reaction/viral infection. Its serious if not treated.

It is in several US states now.

Guest maddycat

Thanks for the warning. We'll be packing bug spray/mosquito repellent for all future Caribbean cruises. We always buy travel insurance.

Edited by maddycat

I made the mistake of reading this out loud to my family (we set sail on Allure this weekend). Now my wife and one of my sons have done some research and are saying they are not getting off the ship in Labadee (since DR has the highest rate of this virus and is just on the other side of the island from Haiti). They both are very anxious anyways, and this story sent them over the top. They also informed me that the OP most likely got bitten in Labadee on Tuesday (not in Jamaica) since the symptoms are said to appear 3 to 5 days after being bitten and OP began getting symptoms on Thursday. So much for enjoying a "beach day".

I made the mistake of reading this out loud to my family (we set sail on Allure this weekend). Now my wife and one of my sons have done some research and are saying they are not getting off the ship in Labadee (since DR has the highest rate of this virus and is just on the other side of the island from Haiti). They both are very anxious anyways, and this story sent them over the top. They also informed me that the OP most likely got bitten in Labadee on Tuesday (not in Jamaica) since the symptoms are said to appear 3 to 5 days after being bitten and OP began getting symptoms on Thursday. So much for enjoying a "beach day".

Your family is going to have a serious indoor summer... since there are confirmed cases here in Florida... people that have not left the state! General protective measures -- staying inside during dusk and dawn hours, wearing white long sleeve and long pants during these hours and if you are in areas of concern using a high concentration of deet repellent will help. Sorry.. but skin so soft just isn't enough. I have to say that I've been to Labadee many times and not once been bitten... those pesky mosquito do not like hot sun... so going in the daytime, like going to the beach in Florida is a pretty safe thing to do, as far as mosquito bites! Oh.. and the OP could have been bitten prior to getting on the ship... one never knows.

Edited by LindaO

Your family is going to have a serious indoor summer... since there are confirmed cases here in Florida... people that have not left the state!

I don't think I'll read this one out loud. LOL

Yea this is no good, hopefully it passes soon. Growing up in FL I've learned that DEET is your friend if you want to keep them off.. It just works! We are doing the western route but not until Sept. I always bring that small 100% DEET Repel spray (posted above^^) in my backpack and it came in handy last year while doing a hike in St Martin!

Edited by thegima

Dear CC Family,

http://news.yahoo.com/more-states-report-cases-mosquito-borne-chikungunya-virus-204725288.html;_ylt=A0LEVxLgTJtTuUUAYP9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByaHEyNGMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

So sorry you went through this and hope you are feeling better. Thank you for alerting us.

Yes, please take precaution. It is spreading heavily in the DR right now so please be careful.

I couldn't take the pain anymore and suffered a $800 Medical Bill from the Medical Facility. They were outstanding and reduced the fever within hours through an IV along with anti-biotics and steroids. I returned home and saw a doctor as well. It is a viral infection, so it takes time to wear off. But I am feeling SO much better, thank you!

We have decided not to go to Dreams in the Dominican Republic, while on our Breeze cruise next month.:( This kinda scared the hell out of most in our group, and I haven't heard GREAT things about the DR anyway...

Maybe hop off and do some quick shopping, and then enjoy the nearly empty ship for ourselves that day.:D:D

I am glad to hear that you are feeling SO much better.:D

Again, thank you for the heads up

Were on the Indy for a month+ b2b in Jan/Feb, visited Labadee and St Maartin etc. a few times and we used OFF spray [maybe not the best but what we took] and wore more coverage clothing for St. M -as that was the port it was reported to be in at that time.

We were on the beach in Labadee and walked the beach and town center in St. M each time and never saw or heard any mosquitoes. We were not in any woody areas. They would know if I was there.:eek: They seem to love me if I am in a mosquito area.

So sorry to hear you were so ill and hoping for a complete recovery! Scary!!

We were on alert before we left home after reading about this mosquito but there was No notice anywhere in port or even on the ship about it.:rolleyes::confused: