Klaksvik Port

Hi people, we're stopping the 14th July 2012 in Klaksvik, Faroe Islands with the Eclipse. We've been looking through internet and it's been pretty hard to find information about this port and city. Anyone been there? Is the city easily walked? What is there to see in the city? Is there any tour operator who organizes shore excursions at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Hi people, we're stopping the 14th July 2012 in Klaksvik, Faroe Islands with the Eclipse. We've been looking through internet and it's been pretty hard to find information about this port and city. Anyone been there? Is the city easily walked? What is there to see in the city? Is there any tour operator who organizes shore excursions at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

With a population of 4,500 I'm not sure it qualifies as a 'city'.

I gave this reply to someone else approx 3 weeks ago.

We were in Klaksvik last August...for a couple of hours.

We had actually arrived into Torshavn for a full day, but the one and only shortish excursion on offer did not appeal to us so we decided to explore the town and also try to see some more of the islands. It was really the journey which interested us rather than the desination.

We took the bus from Torshavn to Klaksvik and back. In Klaksvik, because it was lunchtime we had approx. 2 hours to kill before our return bus left. We found little of interest and were surprised to find that some ships were actually calling there. Maybe we are hard to please. Cynics that we are, we wondered if it was because they could sell tours to Torshavn!

The bus terminus in Klaksvik is centrally located, the one in Torshavn left from the port and is also central, barely 5 mins walk from the harbour and the older part of town. Torshavn is by far the more attractive of the two towns. We had time to do a little sightseeing in Torshavn before our bus to Klaksvik left, also after we returned.

You would find photos of both towns online, also the Faroes in general. What you see is what you get. Depending on the weather (and it can change in minutes) we found the drive interesting and scenic, passing through several small villages along the way and almost always alongside water. The "distance" buses liaise with the smaller minibuses at certain stops along the way. We crossed several bridges and through the new(ish) tunnel which connects Klaksvik. The "artistic light display" within the tunnel was not as artistic as expected! It is a toll route hence the fairly steep price of the ticket. I just now looked. It is still 90K pp each way.

If the idea interests you and your cruise call is long enough, there is bus info online. Never sure which links can be freely given and which are copyright protected, I suggest you look at the strandfaraskip landsins site and click the "for tourists" section. You will get bus routes, timetables etc and you can fill in a from/to section for pricing if you decide to visit other places instead of Torshavn.

We enjoyed our day there. The Faroes were in some ways similar to other destinations we have visited, but different too.

Guitierrez, we're on the same cruise, have been looking for shorex ideas, I know a couple from our roll call are taking the bus to Torshavn. The other option which I am seriously considering is to go with 62N, they have a full day tour taking you to Torshavn and a couple of other islands, also the oldest church in the Faroes, erected in 1111. Their link is

http://www.62n.fo/en/cruises/1407-celebrity-eclipse/highlights-of-the-faroe-islands/

The Faroe Islands and specifically Klaksvik haven't really prepared for the new cruise itineraries that are now stopping here. We'll be there on Jewel of the Seas in Sept. 2012, and I've done quite a bit of research. I have spent hours corresponding with the owner of 62N Tours about options for our cruise. He was able to develop his web-page to accommodate cruisers on specific ships, so everyone can book their tour and pay for it independently (as opposed to coordinating a giant private tour). This worked well for us. In fact, the sooner you book, the cheaper it is. Our cruise date is already fully booked, which has left many on our role call out of options. There is Green Gate Tours (not that impressed with their tour options - just my opinion), and also the Klaksvik Tourist Office supposedly coordinates tours near the port. I was in contact with them over last summer and they were going to e-mail me a tour option brochure, but they never did. Here is their web-page: http://fitg.sansir.net/Default.aspx?pageid=9819 or www.visitnordoy.fo Towards the bottom of the page is a list of possible excursions and the e-mail for the Tourism Office directly.

I think part of it is a language barrier. The price for the full day tour from 62N is very reasonable and includes lunch and "tea". It covers a lot of territory and that is why I helped develop the tour itinerary along with the owner. Having said that, I've never been there before, but when I was stuck at home last spring with a broken ankle, I had LOTS of time researching this particular port.

Hope you enjoy your day there! Good luck.

Marcie

Yes, Geogal, I too find 62N's tour the most interesting and comprehensive, much better than celebrity's shorex or taking the bus into Torshavn. Haven't yet booked it, though, need to do so asap!

We, of course, are on the same cruise with orgutierrez and prish...

I've been booked onto this cruise for well over a year and have been researching all of these ports a long time...

We have opted to just go with the Celebrity Torshavn Shorex...

62N offers two options:

1) a 7-hour bus tour that costs 650DKK per person--which, at today's exchange rate translates to about $114 per person.

2) a 6-hour "deluxe" private tour--up to 4 persons...for 1500 DKK per person--approximately $263 US per person...

The Celebrity shorex is, of course, a big bus--4 and a half hours for only $54.75 per person...We leave the ship at 7:30 am, so we should return at around noon--The ship actually departs at 4:00, so I expect they will want us all back on by about 3:00 pm anyway...My thinking is that 4 and a half hours might be enough for us in the Faroes...If we want, we can always return to the ship, have some lunch, then go out and walk around Klaksvik for an hour or two after lunch...

I assume that the Celebrity bus will be pretty much full...but I also assume that 62N's bus tour will be as full as they can get it, selling as many seats as they can...It is a bit longer, but, if you figure in the time for the lunch stop, it's not that much longer...

We've got private tours lined up for the three days in Iceland, but figured the easier and more frugal thing to do here was just go with the Shorex...

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing food ashore in Faroe Islands.

For our day in port, can I bring food ashore? Such as an apple, banana, sandwich or yogurt for personal use.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

I would also 2nd the 62N tour option. Klaksvik is a commercial port for larger cruise ships.

It looks like if you are bigger than about 78,000 grt you have to use Klaksvik vs Torshavn. The Eclipse is about 122,000 grt.

Ken

Don't believe there should be any issue about taking some fruit or snack ashore, we always have a fruit basket in our cabin and quite often grab an apple or banana for later on. And thanks for explaining why we won't be docking in Klaksvik ken, was wondering why we didn't go to Torshavn:)

• 9 months later...
The Faroe Islands and specifically Klaksvik haven't really prepared for the new cruise itineraries that are now stopping here. We'll be there on Jewel of the Seas in Sept. 2012, and I've done quite a bit of research. I have spent hours corresponding with the owner of 62N Tours about options for our cruise. He was able to develop his web-page to accommodate cruisers on specific ships, so everyone can book their tour and pay for it independently (as opposed to coordinating a giant private tour). This worked well for us. In fact, the sooner you book, the cheaper it is. Our cruise date is already fully booked, which has left many on our role call out of options. There is Green Gate Tours (not that impressed with their tour options - just my opinion), and also the Klaksvik Tourist Office supposedly coordinates tours near the port. I was in contact with them over last summer and they were going to e-mail me a tour option brochure, but they never did. Here is their web-page: http://fitg.sansir.net/Default.aspx?pageid=9819 or www.visitnordoy.fo Towards the bottom of the page is a list of possible excursions and the e-mail for the Tourism Office directly.

I think part of it is a language barrier. The price for the full day tour from 62N is very reasonable and includes lunch and "tea". It covers a lot of territory and that is why I helped develop the tour itinerary along with the owner. Having said that, I've never been there before, but when I was stuck at home last spring with a broken ankle, I had LOTS of time researching this particular port.

Hope you enjoy your day there! Good luck.

Marcie

Hi Marcie,

I just started researching Klaksvik. How did your Sept trip go? Any thought or suggestions would be great. We are on the Brilliance in July and this in one our our stops.

Thanks Trish

We, of course, are on the same cruise with orgutierrez and prish...

I've been booked onto this cruise for well over a year and have been researching all of these ports a long time...

We have opted to just go with the Celebrity Torshavn Shorex...

62N offers two options:

1) a 7-hour bus tour that costs 650DKK per person--which, at today's exchange rate translates to about $114 per person.

2) a 6-hour "deluxe" private tour--up to 4 persons...for 1500 DKK per person--approximately $263 US per person...

The Celebrity shorex is, of course, a big bus--4 and a half hours for only $54.75 per person...We leave the ship at 7:30 am, so we should return at around noon--The ship actually departs at 4:00, so I expect they will want us all back on by about 3:00 pm anyway...My thinking is that 4 and a half hours might be enough for us in the Faroes...If we want, we can always return to the ship, have some lunch, then go out and walk around Klaksvik for an hour or two after lunch...

I assume that the Celebrity bus will be pretty much full...but I also assume that 62N's bus tour will be as full as they can get it, selling as many seats as they can...It is a bit longer, but, if you figure in the time for the lunch stop, it's not that much longer...

We've got private tours lined up for the three days in Iceland, but figured the easier and more frugal thing to do here was just go with the Shorex...

Hi Steve,

What did you think of this tour? We are on the brilliance and trying to figure out this stop. Did you talk to anyone on the 62N to see if there was much difference. Or any suggestions?

Thanks Trish

Hi Steve,

What did you think of this tour? We are on the brilliance and trying to figure out this stop. Did you talk to anyone on the 62N to see if there was much difference. Or any suggestions?

Thanks Trish

I don't think I met anyone who went with 62N...

The shorex was fine...a scenic bus ride to the town, then a nice walking tour through the old sections of the city, the government buildings, etc. the guide was pretty good and we think we received a good explanation of what he Faroese are all about... For the price, it was quite sufficient...I don't know that there's that much more to see there than we saw...but, of course, hard to know...it was our only frame of reference...

I don't think I met anyone who went with 62N...

The shorex was fine...a scenic bus ride to the town, then a nice walking tour through the old sections of the city, the government buildings, etc. the guide was pretty good and we think we received a good explanation of what he Faroese are all about... For the price, it was quite sufficient...I don't know that there's that much more to see there than we saw...but, of course, hard to know...it was our only frame of reference...

Thanks Steve,

There just isn't much info on this stop.

Hi Steve,

Thanks Trish

Trishs, we did the 62N tour last July and had a wonderful time, I think it was about 71/2 hours, with a lunch stop. We walked around the old town in Torshvn, then to another island to visit a small village which was a cultural center in the Middle Ages. The ruins of one of the last Gothic churches to be built is here, also the oldest church in the Faroes, from 1111, and what they call the world's oldest continuously inhabited house, from the 11th century! We also drove to the highest point in the Faroes, with spectacular views. I really enjoyed the day, this was the first and probably last time I'd ever go to the Faroes and I wanted to see as much of the place as possible. Hope this is of help, enjoy your cruise:)

Trishs, we did the 62N tour last July and had a wonderful time, I think it was about 71/2 hours, with a lunch stop. We walked around the old town in Torshvn, then to another island to visit a small village which was a cultural center in the Middle Ages. The ruins of one of the last Gothic churches to be built is here, also the oldest church in the Faroes, from 1111, and what they call the world's oldest continuously inhabited house, from the 11th century! We also drove to the highest point in the Faroes, with spectacular views. I really enjoyed the day, this was the first and probably last time I'd ever go to the Faroes and I wanted to see as much of the place as possible. Hope this is of help, enjoy your cruise:)

That's great. Thanks for the info.

Did you do the private tour or the group tour? I'm thinking the group since it's about 1/2 the price of the private.

If you did the group how big was the group?

Did you go through tunnels?

I read bigger busses can't go through but smaller one can?

Appreciate your help.

That's great. Thanks for the info.

Did you do the private tour or the group tour? I'm thinking the group since it's about 1/2 the price of the private.

If you did the group how big was the group?

Did you go through tunnels?

I read bigger busses can't go through but smaller one can?

Appreciate your help.

Yes, this was the group tour, we paid a little over $100 pp. We had a smaller bus and were about 20 of us, not a very big group, we did go through several tunnels, including the longest underwater one with the flashing lights, etc. Our guide was excellent, extremely articulate and well informed, very proud of his country and wanted to tell us all about it. We did consider taking the shorter Celebrity tour but were happy with what we finally did, Klaksvik is a one-horse town, there's not very much to do there.

Yes, this was the group tour, we paid a little over $100 pp. We had a smaller bus and were about 20 of us, not a very big group, we did go through several tunnels, including the longest underwater one with the flashing lights, etc. Our guide was excellent, extremely articulate and well informed, very proud of his country and wanted to tell us all about it. We did consider taking the shorter Celebrity tour but were happy with what we finally did, Klaksvik is a one-horse town, there's not very much to do there.

Great thanks for the info, I'm going to sign us up today :)

• 2 years later...